How much truck does one need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
    I am considering dropping a 480hp 496 bbc in me 66 c10 :) with disk brake conversion, that should be able tow ! ;)
    YES it will!

I was just looking at the engine specs on a 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton (c20) pick up with a 12,000lb gross tow rating. The LARGEST engine that came in that truck was a Detroit Diesel that made 165hp and 330ft/lbs of torque.

Physics didn't change in 30 years, peoples opinions on what is acceptable for towing has.

Wally

Comment

Physics haven't changed in 30 years, but lots of other things have. Speed limits are hire people are smarter about safety traffic is more congested people are dumber about how they drive. All of those things play into how suitable the tow rig is. I would say that just about any V6 or larger engine in just about any half ton or larger truck is sufficient to tow that kind of weight. However it's not going to accelerate safely on all on ramps and all situations and more importantly the brakes have more to do with the safety than the horsepower.

Comment

Brakes outweight hp ! I can be slow accellerateing on on ramps, just like the big rigs, but being able to stop is most important ! ;)

Reason I will be doing a disk brake conversion on c10 :)
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by KSU_CJ8 View Post
          I bought 2012 Hemi GC for similar reasons. The Hemi isn't ever the limiting factor. Mileage isn't good....but no lack of power.
          Originally posted by Grumpy Dwarf View Post
          Hey Mike B, I have the 5.7 Hemi in my Dodge 1500 Quad Cab that I use to flat tow my TJ with and if wasn't for the fact that when I use the brakes or accelerate and feel the jeep tugging or pushing on it I wouldn't really be able to tell there was anything back there. The Hemi has more then enough power just as KSU_CJ8 said.
          Originally posted by diabloed View Post
          I too will vouch for the Hemi. I used to have the QuadCab 1/2t Hemi and there are currently two Hemi's in the Driveway...A 2012 Crew Cab and a 05 WK. For just pulling the weight of the Jeep on a car hauler there's no doubt that a half ton hemi would be more than capable of handling it.
          Thanks fellas! I have to say I do like the Ram trucks.
          -Mike B-
          '01 XJ Sport
          '11KK Limited

Comment

I have the gas version of diablo's mega. Today, I drove to Ft. Riley out past Manhattan empty (~2.5hrs). Started off at 8.9, ended with 14.7 in the southwest gusty wind. Pickup up a M1102 trailer and towed it home. Got 10.2 mpg towing a 1500# bed trailer (took top off as the front posts bent). Just got home from towing it to Excelsior Springs (10.5) and drive home empty 1hr trip (12.7mpg). Its not that I'm not happy of the towing performance of the hemi, its the mileage both towing and not. I was hoping, like other hemi owners stated they're getting, 18-20mpg (that's with a later model (03-05) 1500 crews).

What I mean by gas version of diablo's mega, mega cabs are 3/4 ton setups and mine is labeled 1500 (1/2ton). I have the same underpinnings of any 3/4ton dodge hemi (diesels have bigger axles) and frame, but labeled a 1500. It just turend 86k.
            Mike
            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I think this is a very I retesting topic to read with insight. For me I do tow almost the weight of two TJ'on a flatbed Steel deck pull behind trailer. I had the 1/2 truck and the 1/2 Yunkon XL and they were ok, but a little soft on pull on the highway and it was obvious when breaking or the horrible lane change where it felt a bit squireely. Yes, I have dual electric brakes on trailer.

So my thought was to buy a V10 Excursion and let's say there was plenty of power and enough stopping power even without trailer brakes and not even a concern or even noticed any weight while trailing or changing lanes, but the gas, oh the gas- well at 8 miles to the gallon towing I nights as well through a $5 bill every 10 miles for the safety. That was expensive trip to Colorado or Wyomimg. I then had enough a found a Diesel Excursion. I love every aspect of this vehicle from towining at 18mpg to having a place to sleep.

The only downside is the cost to maintain a diesel and when thing break. Besides that you could never go wrong with best in my opinion tow SUV as it's heavy, Diesel, 4X4 and has solid one axles with all wheel Disc Brakes.

Comment

I will be towing with a 1966 C 10 with disc brake conversion, power stearing added, 4.11 gears and a freshly improved 396 with a tmech 5 speed overdrive tranny ! With a jeep on me trailer, try to keep up ! ;)
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Bill-
                  With all the torque of a big block why the 4.11 gears? Seems like you would get up to speed on the on-ramp real quick, but dependining on your tow rig tire size you will be winding that bad boy up at 70mph. I just want to know one thing! Do you have the dual trucker stacks on that bad boy???

Comment

Originally posted by alanc View Post
                    Bill-
                    With all the torque of a big block why the 4.11 gears? Seems like you would get up to speed on the on-ramp real quick, but dependining on your tow rig tire size you will be winding that bad boy up at 70mph. I just want to know one thing! Do you have the dual trucker stacks on that bad boy???
                    It came with 4.11 gears , and with a big block and 5 speed over drive, it will be a blast stoplight to stoplight when I dont have a trailer hooked up ! ;)
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Gotcha- Like the old school 66 coupled with that big block will make a fun tow rig. I went the Diesel route of the Ford Excursion so I could have plenty of room to sleep in it when needed. With all the mods I have done it cruises right down the highway towing a trailer like it wasn't there. In fact I have to be careful as its fuel sweet spot is 64 MPH, but likes to cruise well above that. My last trip to WY it was hard not to trailer below 80-85 unless on cruise which I hate using, but with check of the wallet I seem to really like 64 MPH for both safety and $$$ savings.

Comment

The cruise control for all me vehicles is controlled by me foot, even if it has cruise ! I like to drive, not be a passenger ! :)
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Then how do you sleep while you are moving then???

Comment

I drove truck over the road for at least 500,000 mikes , never nodded ! ......:)
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                            X