No announcement yet.

How much truck does one need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe people would believe a V10 might do it better based on the wider HP band. might even get to speed quicker than some of the older diesels, but i bet the diesel will get twice the mpg while doing the same thing just as well... and hold it's value.

Comment

Originally posted by cjmoon View Post
      ... and hold it's value.
      And not spit spark plugs through the hood. ;-)

Comment

And not spit spark plugs through the hood.
        O we're hoping to avoid that...

The V10 had 265/75R16s as compared to the stock 245/75R16s, Thus putting its RPM range into about the same as the 3.55 5.8l. It still had more felt power with the 265s

But as for MPG, both get in the 12-15 range. Without all that noisy clatter.

Comment

i have to call bs. you talked with some one that drives 60 with the v10 an 90 with the diesel (just not the new **** it doesn't count in my book 08-09+ you have a point with the new it doesn't make since to me) my 98 gets 19 at 80mph and know plenty of people with v10's that are very jealous.

Comment

I work with a guy that has a Dodge Cummins 2007+ he quit commuting with his truck because it was costing him $75 round trip. He isn't getting anywhere near 19-20mpg. I can do the same mileage for roughly half the cost with a gasser V8, thats 15mpg.

I add to that, knowing 3 different people that have dumped 10K into their diesel engines over a 2-3 year period. Yes, these guys are still driving them. LOL

I add to that knowing several professionals with decades of experience, that drive them for work hauling all over the country as well as those that work on them that all say, if your not towing 10K+ or more on a regular basis, a gasser is a better choice.

No jealousy here.

Comment

Originally posted by WallyP226 View Post
              I work with a guy that has a Dodge Cummins 2007+ he quit commuting with his truck because it was costing him $75 round trip. He isn't getting anywhere near 19-20mpg. I can do the same mileage for roughly half the cost with a gasser V8, thats 15mpg.

I add to that, knowing 3 different people that have dumped 10K into their diesel engines over a 2-3 year period. Yes, these guys are still driving them. LOL

I add to that knowing several professionals with decades of experience, that drive them for work hauling all over the country as well as those that work on them that all say, if your not towing 10K+ or more on a regular basis, a gasser is a better choice.

No jealousy here.
              I would say this is all true, or at least mostly.

Newer diesels can't pull down the economy that older ones can, and I think the difference is driven by EPA compliance. Even when all the EGR and DPF stuff is taken out, they simply don't do it. Probably has something to do with the horsepower race between the two. Can't make it with air alone.

I have the same opinion of diesels, which is why I drive a gasser. For my needs, it didn't make any sense otherwise. If I had time to wheel more than 2-3x per year and wanted/needed to pull a longer distance than just the places in our region, is consider it. Same goes if I needed to pull a toy hauler and the Jeep. As it is now, I could get away with a small slide-in camper or a popup mounted sideways on the front of a 22' bumper pull without much compromise. Or just continue tent camping.

Comment

I am going to upgrade front brakes to power brake front disc, swap in a 5 speed overdrive ( have 4.11 gears) and add power stearing eventually to a 396 powered 1966 c-10 :) pony only has stock 325 hp for the now, but thats going to be bumped up to 400 + and probably closs to 450 + pounds feet torque ! Yes it will only get around 10 mpg, but it will do it with STYLE ! :) ;)
                I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I apologize ahead of time for not taking the time to read the whole thread, but I'm sure I have the gist of it so here I am to give a real world statement of facts!

I have a 2007 2500 MegaCab with the 6.7 Cummins. with the tuner, exhuast and deletes cranked up it's 500HP and 1100lbft.

I pulled my camper/Jeep trailer combination that weighs roughly 17,000#'s (not including the 9000# truck) to Hot Springs and back and got 11mpg and that's not babying it in the mountains! Just yesterday I drove to Topeka and back and got 21-22mpg

Comment

I pulled back a M1102 military Hummer trailer backwards on my 18' trailer and got 9 mpg in the 40-50mph gusts on Tuesday. I kept it out of tow/OD, 57 mph/2300rpm which kept it from downshifting....it was a fun drive back....

I use my hemi mega to basically tow my Jeep to wheel and camp. Don't really use it as a commuter. But used as a commuter for short period of time (2 weeks), I got 12 mpg to/from work (~40miles). Towing I get 9-10 mpg....

To add, I just change 16 spark plugs! Only thing I appreciate gas over diesel is the oil change!
                    We'll see what mpg I get tomorrow morning going out to Manhattan to pick up another M1102. I'll pull this one back.
                    Last edited by jagular7; 03-07-2013, 06:05 PM.
                    Mike
                    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

^^^ So Mike - would you say your Hemi does what you need it to in regards to pulling? Reason I ask is most likely in the foreseeable future I'll be in the market for a tow pig. It would also serve as a DD but that is for the most part a short trips basis.
                      -Mike B-
                      '01 XJ Sport
                      '11KK Limited

Comment

I bought 2012 Hemi GC for similar reasons. The Hemi isn't ever the limiting factor. Mileage isn't good....but no lack of power.

Comment

Hey Mike B, I have the 5.7 Hemi in my Dodge 1500 Quad Cab that I use to flat tow my TJ with and if wasn't for the fact that when I use the brakes or accelerate and feel the jeep tugging or pushing on it I wouldn't really be able to tell there was anything back there. The Hemi has more then enough power just as KSU_CJ8 said.
                          sigpic
                          Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
                          99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

I too will vouch for the Hemi. I used to have the QuadCab 1/2t Hemi and there are currently two Hemi's in the Driveway...A 2012 Crew Cab and a 05 WK. For just pulling the weight of the Jeep on a car hauler there's no doubt that a half ton hemi would be more than capable of handling it.

Comment

Ford F-150, Dodge Hemi, Chevy 6.2, they are all more than adequate for towing a Jeep on a trailer as well as double as a DD.

DD is sorta subjective with a full sized truck, not so much the driving but the parking situations.

Wally

Comment

I am considering dropping a 480hp 496 bbc in me 66 c10 :) with disk brake conversion, that should be able tow ! ;)
                                Last edited by spunebil; 03-08-2013, 04:08 PM.
                                I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                                it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                                Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                                X