How much truck does one need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much truck does one need?

For me, when I was researching what I needed for a tow vehicle, I looked at objective data as well as talked with people that used their trucks to make a living.

It seems that every time I turn around, the advice from Jeepers, is that you need a 400 horse power diesel, 700-800 foot pounds of torque to tow a Jeep safely.

I am gonna call BS.

Lets look at objective data.

1. What does the manufacture recommend for towing?
    2. How can we compare objectively apples to apples?
    3. How does that claim stand up against its competitors?

1. The manufacturer has the duty to be able to back up the claim from a liability standpoint. In other words their engineers build in a safety margin into the product so that they can claim that the consumer abused their product and that was the cause of the failure, if one were to occur. Typically its 1.5 to 2x the manufacturer’s ratings.

2. How can we compare objectively apples to apples?

Tractor trailers typically weight 21000 pounds give or take a ton. With a trailer they push 32000 pounds, give or take a ton. How much are they towing? Typically 40-46,000 pounds. That means that they are on average towing OVER twice the weight of the tow vehicle, and 1.5 times the weight of the tow vehicle and trailer togather.

Lets translate that into truck towing. One could infer that if handing was going to be a problem, and weight was the cause of poor handling, surely the kinds of weights that semi tractor trailers are hauling and towing, the weight ratios would be a good start on what not to do. What I am getting at, from a logical standpoint is that if its linear weights being compared to perceive danger, then the ratio limits for trucks should be good starting points, if its nonlinear and you disagree that we can't use the comparison, then then the greater the weight ratio the more perceive danger, therefore conservative numbers would be advised.

Let me give an example, starting with weight alone. If a truck weighs 6000 pounds, and the trailer weighs 2500, that works out to 8500 pounds with a trailer. Using a 1.5x times the weight of the truck and trailer, that would work out to about 12000 pound load on the trailer, in other words, 3 Jeeps AND all of their tools and supplies. OR a gross weight of around 10 ton.

From my perspective if there is a linear relationship involving weight, then the comparison would be valid, if its nonlinear then we would err on the side of caution with more weight not less and therefore my weight comparison would be conservative.

Another apples to apples to comparison that can be made is looking at engine performance for torque. The larger engines found in tractor trailers are pushing 5-700 horsepower and 1800-2000 foot pounds of torque. The smaller engines are NOT making those kinds of figures. If the maximum load that a tractor trailer can pull is 80,000 pounds gross, that works out to about 40 foot pounds of tow weight per pound of engine torque. That is a figure that should give an illustration or ball park target to shoot for when comparing one tow vehicle to another

3. Lets start comparing vehicles.

For fun, lets look at my 2004 Toyota Tacoma. Dry weight for a Double Cab Tacoma is 4200lbs. Thus with trailer (1400lbs) thus truck and trailer were about 5600lbs. Its max tow rating was 5000lbs, manufacturer’s claim. So the limiting factor was the manufacturer’s claim. 5000s lbs. Thankfully my Jeep (3400) and trailer (1400) weighed in under 5000 pounds at 4800. Thus the total gross weight was 9800lbs. Add in another 1000lbs for people, we are looking at 10,800lbs.

Legally and safely, the Tacoma met the standard. How did it tow? With a load leveling hitch and trailer brakes, it stopped safely, handled safely.

Now lets look at the performance side of things. Performance wise it had a 190 horse V6 with 225 foot pound of torque.

10800 gross tow weight. 225 foot pounds of torque. That works out to about 48 pounds of tow weight to every foot pound of engine torque. Sounds like its just a little underpowered when compared to a standard of 40.

Yes, it was a little underpowered. BUT guess what? It STILL pulled on the flat at 70mph without difficulty on the freeway and 55mph on steep hills deep in the Ozarks.

I moved to an F150. Dry weigh is 6000lbs. With trailer, it weighs in around 7400 pounds. What is the manufacturer claim? 9500 pounds max tow weight. Hmmmm that is just shy of 1.5 times the gross weight of the trailer and the truck. Are you starting to see a trend here? So the going with the manufacture’s claim of 9500, that puts us at 15500lbs gross load.

Moving onto the performance side of things. It has 310 hp and 390 foot pounds of torque.

15500 divided by 390 works out to about 40 pounds of tow weight for each foot pound of engine torque. Where did we see 40lbs of tow weight for each foot pound of engine torque?

Real world, my gross weight is about 12,200, per calibrated scales. That works out to about 31 pounds of tow weight per foot pound of engine torque.

Lets throw a Ford Superduty Diesel into the mix. Why? It’s a 1 ton truck, with a high performance diesel engine. 400 horsepower, 800 foot pounds of torque. Tow rating is 17500 pounds. Vehicle weight is 6400 pounds with super cab mid length wheelbase. Max total weight is 33,000 per manufacturer’s recommendations.

Lets try to look at this first from a max stand point, then real world. Max is 33,000 pounds. That works out to 41 pounds of tow weight per foot pound of engine torque. Since the manufacturer lists 17500 as the max tow weight, lets add in 1000lbs for people and gear on top of the 6400 pounds of the vehicle, the total weight comes to 24,900. That works out to about 31pounds of tow weight per foot pound of engine torque.

Lets pause and ponder for a moment. How many Jeeps can you haul for 17500lbs? Lets knock off 3000 for a decent trailer. That works out to 3 jeeps weighing at 4000lbs a piece PLUS all of their gear AND 4 full size adults.

I have one Jeep, and a 1400lb trailer for a total weight of 4800lbs. Fully loaded, with the family, a 1 ton diesel Ford diesel with 800 foot pounds of torque would be hauling 15lb of tow weight per foot pound of engine torque.

In essence the objective data is the manufacturer’s tow rating specifications AND engine performance. IMO 40sh lbs of tow weight per foot pound of torque is a FAIR ball park performance value to look at when deciding how BIG of a truck one needs for towing.

For me, I came to the conclusion that a ½ ton pick up would be more than adequate for towing ONE Jeep on a trailer. If I towed 10 ton, on a regular basis ie monthly or more, I would consider a ¾ or 1 ton, BUT since I don’t, I find little value in spending more money on performance that I don’t need.

Discuss?

Wally
    Last edited by WallyP226; 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM.

My personal opinion is that I'm spoiled by my diesels. I've gone back to a gasser once, for one trip, and I quickly went right back to a diesel.

From my perspective, I understand what you're saying about linear relationship for vehicle weight vs load capacity, but a semi running the axles/suspension they do is a far cry from what a "light truck" mfr produces.

I gross out over 22000 lbs on a regular basis and do that with a single wheel Ford F-350 Diesel. That being said, I have put far more than that behind my truck against my better wishes in adverse situations and would likely do it again if required, but it wasn't considered "safe" on the roadway. You also have to put the ambulance chaser argument into effect here as one accident can make you rethink EVERYTHING you do when towing.

I have been towing trailers of all shapes and sizes since I was able to reach the pedals. My opinion is that wheelbase, tow vehicle weight and the build quality of trailer/brakes are your limiting factors.

Comment

I tow my XJ and trailer which should be around 5k tops with my extended cab 200k mile 97' F-150. The truck is 2wd, has a 4.6L V-8, auto transmission, electric brake controller. I think it gets up to speed pretty decently, it only "struggles" up really steep hills where is has to crank out about 5k rpms to hold the speed. Brakes good, electric trailer brakes help out quite a bit and I don't like to tow without them anymore. It has never swayed on me during high winds and tracks straight down the road with a load. Squats a bit in the back when loaded but doesn't bottom out by any means.

Paid $2,400 for it and haven't put a dime of repairs in it during the year that I have owned it so far (short of fluids). I've been wanting a 3/4 ton truck but the cheapest I can find of this "era" of F-250's cost 2-3x as much. Will they tow 2-3x better? Trying to weigh in my options, seems like staying 1/2 ton is the way to go for me but that is how I see it. At least for the load that I tow 2-4 times a year.

Comment

Good topic, and well written intro.

I'm interested to hear more of your Tacoma towing experience. I only need a truck occassionally, and am attracted to the daily fuel economy and convenience of a good mid-sized truck. Since I only tow 2 or so times per year, I've always felt that was a good plan for me.

I've owned a 1/2 ton Ford with the small (4.6L) V8, 2WD Xcab, shortbed w/ 3.55 gears. Can't recall the power numbers, but it was rated around 6,500 lbs. It did fine, probably similar to a mid-size truck with a big V6. Hold 70 on flat, and 55 in the Ozarks. Pulled around 11 mpg towing to Tuttle, can't recall other places. The only reason I dumped it was because I hated the truck for daily driving purposes. It didn't have enough power to break the tires loose, and it got 14 mpg mixed driving.

I own, and have towed with, a Durango (1st Gen) with the big (5.9L) V8, it's the R/T so AWD, 3.92 gears, LSD, etc. Power is 245/330 and it is rated to tow 7,600 lbs. It towed the same rig on the same trailer like it wasn't even back there. However, it got about 9 mpg doing it, and gets about 11.5 mpg in mixed driving. I love it though because it is powerful, roomy, etc.

My current Jeep is my DD and thus it only rides on other peoples' trailers. I find that I destroy things when I know I'm on a trailer, so I limit that frequency.

In my opinion, for occassional towing within the rated capacity, and being mindful of the limitations it imposes, a light-duty (mid-size or 1/2 ton) truck is fine. Glen towed his YJ all over creation behind F150s with 5.4 V8s without issue. I'd say anything more than monthly and you'd want to consider a bigger truck for the durability. The more power and larger the equipment, the more durable the tow vehicle when pulling toward its limit.

Comment

Towing Tacoma? Honestly, it towed great, BUT I used a load leveling hitch and a decent brake controller with brakes on both trailer axles. I would get 16-17 mpg in town and towing I got 12-14mpg most of the time, on one trip to SMORR I got 10.5mpg with a good head wind.

With that said, it was underpowered but it did the job adequately in the midwest. I think it would have sucked west of Denver!

I seriously considered keeping it, supercharging it, BUT alas I bailed on that idea because I of the investment i.e. supercharging, tuning, modifying the transmission, the time I would have been down getting everything installed, as it was a daily driver at the time.

We just bought another vehicle for the same reasons you mentioned Tommy. We really like the F150 BUT its huge, and trying to maneuver into tight parking spots, urban driving...... its a beast. On the highway its KING, love sitting up high, will cruise 70mph all day towing or not. So, the F150 will be our road tripping, Jeep towing vehicle.

Wally

Comment

my past experience is if i buy something to meet todays need, if wont fit tomorrows need. So i try to get a reasonable amount better than needed.

I bought a one ton dodge dually diesel, while looking for a 3/4 ford diesel only because i came across one that met and exceeded my (then) current needs and stayed in budget.

My advice to everyone has always been, " Buy the best you can afford to get the job done, and bigger/better if you can. if you cant afford what you want/need , wait till you can." the 'can afford' has to be defined by the person, because thats not a one size fits all statement.
            Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

IMO those are excellent points. Manufacturers base towing capacities by wheelbase, among other things.

I ABSOLUTELY agree on trailer brakes, good tires, good working equipment/ trailer!

If I was towing 10 ton+ on a regular basis, a large camper, Jeep, or 2-3 Jeeps, I would be looking at a diesel too. :-)

Originally posted by rustinh1 View Post

My opinion is that wheelbase, tow vehicle weight and the build quality of trailer/brakes are your limiting factors.

Comment

Also dont forget to look at how much you tow a year. How much you drive your tow rig while NOT towing. The xtra cost of a diesel. ALL xtra costs.. price, maint, fuel cost, etc over a gas truck.
                I would LOVE to have a diesel, but a gas truck would better serve me unless a had a gas truck, and a diesel to tow..

Dan

Comment

I guess I will put out my .02 I have towed with my jeep (not another jeep but 2000-3000#) towed with a pre-tacoma 91 toyota 4wd truck (had accident towing ~1800#) it did great up to that point. When you get in that situation it might be a slight difference but it makes a world of difference. towed 6-8000 with my 90 f150 some loads with 97 ford powerstroke and now 98 dodge Cummins up to 10-12000 some times.

people have talked 1/2 tons to death so will not add to it I agree with it all good and bad.

The reason I bought 3/4 diesel 2wd 5spds for both of my diesel trucks so far: 17-22 mpg negates extra cost for fuel argument unless your driving short trips all the time (diesels are very inefficient until there warm). Bigger brakes, even with dual axle brakes on the trailer bigger is better in the off chance you need them. Towing 70-80 mph still in the 14-18 mpg range.
                  Really don’t have to shift once your up to speed. Look at torque curves for both gas and diesel. Yes, gas does have some good high numbers but they are closer to red line. Diesel come on high low in the rpm range where you use it most and can create HP with a little more fuel, the turbo spools and you get more power instead of down shifting all the time. Down shift and high RPM will lead to mechanical failure sooner than later. I believe the diesel has more usable power. With longer life. How many ¼ of a million mile gas vehicles do you know of? Diesel? and those ¼ million mile diesel trucks still have value.
                  Which is my last point… resale. If you keep a diesel nice I believe it will retain it’s value better. Wrecked and 300,000 miles trucks are worth more than perfect low miles gas equivalents. It is an up front investment but you have piece of mind in sticky situations and have value on the back end.

Comment

Wally, when I drove over the road I could be grossing 80,000 pounds and all I had was a 300 horse power cummins with 1200 pounds feet of torque!
                    I might have to climb mountain passes at only 15 to 20 mph, but I still usually drove 10,000 to 12,000 miles per month !
                    :) ;)
                    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

All I know is that I love my Diesel Excursion as it has all the tow capability I need in a SUV if could call it that. For my lifestyle with kids, travels and work it done everything and more. I can camp in it watch movies and separate the kids instead of saying "Want me to come back there or you want to turn around and go back home". I wish it had the 7.3, but it has done me proud so far with the 6.0 diesel. I do have the 4x4 and have never been stuck or ever pulled a trailer that caused me any concern even on crazy roads with steep hills both ways.

I have a cat back with the Bully Dog and on the highway my feel good gauge shows around 21 MPG non towing 17 pulling my 20' tandem car trailer. Now I even if these aren't accurate I still know I'm very happy with every aspect from towing to MPG. It's as solid, heavy and when stopping you know it and it feels great and comfortable.

I know I am limited by weight, but not by it's heart, power etc. In a jam or a emergency I would have zero concern lending a hand for any rescue pull. Oh the sound of a strong turbo whistle!!!

Comment

I like the thought process to come to an analysis. To that, to me, the design of the vehicle comes for its end users use. Gas vs diesel has a big play on that, as well as 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton or light, medium and heavy duty (OTR) trucks. Most designs on both ends of the spectrum are for the masses and for the specific intention. I really don't see a lot of OTR trucks being used as daily use vehicle in my area.....LOL. Same for a 1/2 ton gas pulling extreme weight for hundred of thousands of miles. OTRs are designed for the stresses of pulling/stopping weight for a lengthy amount of mileage. To add, OTR's components are designed for a period of time within those stresses. Rebuilding or replacing can be quickly performed as well so the function of the truck is not hindered in any significant way. And the cost is productive to do just that. Thus the design of the OTRs.
                        Now the other end of the spectrum, what is considered light duty trucks (up to 1.5tn) the personal trucks of today have a new 'driver' for them. They are not designed for lengthy amount of mileage, nor are their components quickly replaced at cost effectiveness. Replacement of the whole vehicle is a more cost productive solution.
                        Luxury items have been blended into them compared to the 70/80 trucks. To add, these 'trucks' (or SUVs) are utility designed to marketably fit vast majority of end users. With that, the mfrs provide a vast amount of choices for the owner - gas, diesel, hybrid!, auto or manual, 2, 4wd, or AWD, luxuries like pw everything, climate controlled, gps, videos/game playing, as well as pushing, carrying capacity or towing. All this adds into the users choice for themselves and their situation.

I recently traded in a 05 F350 crew loaded with 6.0l diesel. Over the time owning it for 2.5 yrs, I had to work on a lot of its deficiencies inherent to the driveline. So that was extra $$. But I didn't come close to paying retail for it so you can say that balanced out. It was a 1 ton 4wd cab and chassis. The frame is bigger than the normal pickup truck. It was used and possibly abused before I got it. With that, I'd say it was a good 9k+#s if not more. It towed pleasantly my 3.8K# TJ on a 2k# trailer (estimated weights). Though the heartache, I wasn't getting the mpg others get with the same driveline. Why I got it was due to the difference towing than driving a 4cyl/auto TJ. I wasn't tired, wasn't stressed, wasn't pissed, etc. I was very comfortable and ready arriving to wheel.
                        My gasser is still new to me. Its a 3/4ton version 1/2ton dressed 06 Mega with a hemi loaded. It has the gas driveline of any hemi truck. It has the axles of a 3/4 ton (fullfloating) truck. Suspension is on the heavy side of the 1/2 ton. Some consider it a heavy half. With this truck towing the exact same TJ loaded trailer, I definately see a difference between the lighter vs heavy tow vehicle as well as the gas vs diesel. I'm still not getting the anticipated and marketed mpg in the gas version. I haven't really looked into the situation why but getting 11+ around town, towing around 9. My F350 got me 13 mpg around town and 10ish towing. Both have nearly the same tank capacity, but the end of filling up is some $20-30 cheaper in gas. But the biggest difference is my attention. I have to be more aware with the gas while towing. I have to predict the road and its condition (hill, curve, other traffic), environment conditions (rain, wind), etc. I would like to get this Mega in a diesel. Heard real good numbers for Dodge with delete kits and tuner. (I had that on the F350 but....)
                        Last edited by jagular7; 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM.
                        Mike
                        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Average cost of upkeep over "X" period of time would be decent objective figure as well.

Unless we can get our hands shock load and work loads limits for specific components, i.e. frames, specific bearings, R&P, stuff like that we are kinda limited on how objective we can get. BUT it would be kinda cool if one could assemble that information, put value on objective data thus rank a vehicle for "x" weight towing.

LOL I doubt the manufacturers would give out that data UNLESS it benefitted them. Other than bearings, TREs, maybe R&Ps, stuff like that, unless one was on the design/ engineering of that specific brand, the rest of the information wouldn't be readily available to the consumer.

There are also other input, such as family members, cash flow, emotional appeal that just can't be quantified. LOL I was looking at Toyota Tundra's, I was digging their engine performance numbers, the size of the R&Ps used in their 3rd members, BUT the wife hated the Tundra, so ...... we ended up with a Ford. :-)

Wally

Comment

SAE now has standard tow rating calculations, but that doesn't help most of us average Joes buying clapped out trash. ;-)

Comment

Wally, I dont know how much truck it takes but I do know much truck I am going to use Lol
                              And that will be a 1966 C10 with a 325 hp 396 , three on the tree, and 4.11 gears with 31" tyres! :)
                              Just need to build a trailer hitch for truck...

And renew its tags! Lol
                              and by mid summer the hp will jump to around 450/475 hp when I install new cam and intake! ;)
                              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                              X