Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The wife told me she thinks my XJ is a money pit... How much do you have invested ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wife told me she thinks my XJ is a money pit... How much do you have invested ?

lets see... I have a 3" lift with NEW 33" tires and 16 x 8 Soft 8s, and quick discos, and bright off road lighting... but only around $2200 total...

does this sound like a money pit...

how much do you have invested in your Jeep? maybe she will chill out after she hears what you guys have spent

my 96, I had jeep 1500, tcase 100, 32's $500, wheel bearing $60, d windows $120... $2680

my 90, I had... jeep 750, tires 500, tcase 80, trans 50, d44 200, gears lockers 750, trac bar $200, control arms $240... ill stop the list there... $2700 not including all the other **** i did to it (tre's, injectors, motor mounts0 and I never got to actually wheel it cuz it was a raging piece of ****.

Comment

I have:
      4.6L Stroker/AW4/NP231 w/SYE
      4.5" Rusty's lift w/ 75% 33x12.5s and brand new full-size spare
      4.88 Yukon gears
      D35 w/ Super 35 kit (Detroit locker)
      D30 w/ OX locker and Warn locking hub conversion
      OTK flip and oversized tie-rod
      Beefy track-bar (JKS?)
      Really nice homebrew front and rear off-road bumpers/rock sliders

There is a bunch of other little things that I picked up for cheap or off parts rigs too.

Initial cost of my rust-free Laredo was $1000 but after all my parts rigs that I have pulled/sold parts off of I am right around $4k

At this point in the project I pretty much consider it "done" and the wife really doesn't complain too much when I have to buy maintenance parts/fluids for it. She also knows how much the parts are worth in comparison to what I paid for them so that helps out too when we have the cost conversations.
      Last edited by heap o' jeep; 06-26-2011, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I really don't want to pull all my reciepts out but its alot

Comment

79 CJ.
          spring over, XJ rear, BDS double military wrap front
          1 tons w/detroits front/rear.
          Dana 300 w/ 4:1 and twin stick
          304 w/TBI
          Boat sides
          etc.......
          Dont even ask. WAYYYYY too much $$$ if you ask my wife!!
          It would be ALOT more if I hadn't done all th ework/fab. myself!!
          it would be

Comment

85 CJ7, resurrected from the dead. The wife has accepted the fact that it's a money pit, after the first year. I have quite a bit of time and money invested. BUT it's also given us a ton of fun as a family!

Comment

Ugh....really? you gotta ask THAT question. Let's see, had the jeep for over 10 years now.....I'm thinkin less than 10k. I'm considering all the stuff I broke and other repairs and add ons. Quick break down, I have at least $8130 and I'm sure I'm missing a grand or 2.

All - please do not let my girlfiend read this!

Comment

Counting purchase, tires, wheels, tires again, wheels, turbo, axles, gears, engine, accessories...$14k +/-.

Total investment into Jeeps since I started 10 yrs ago...I'd venture a guess in the $25k range net, after selling parts and the prior two rigs.

Comment

I think my wife's hobby is making babies... now that is expensive!!!

Comment

i know my fiance' won't read this but I'm not scared and would tell her if she asked. I bought the bloo joop bout 2.5 years ago for 3200 and I just looked it up and currently have ~$8458 invested... YIKES! i have some parts that I might need to sell to bring that price down a little....

Comment

Can we count all of the money we spent on previous Jeeps????? If so, I should be smacked. I have about $30k in the current rig, with plans to spend another $7k or $8k
                      "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

bought mine as is, except for some minor repairs and upgrades, for $17,500, gonna have to put about another $1200-1500 on it in the next year or so for tires. And likely replace both front hub assemblies before then once or twice.

Comment

Did you ever consider the Warn hub conversion Curt? Less drag when unlocked and you can rebuild/repack your bearings for cheap, may be more cost-effective down the road if it keeps eating hubs up. I love mine :)

Comment

I'd have to pull receipts, but I'm probably around the $6-7k range.

Comment

Originally posted by heap o' jeep View Post
                              Did you ever consider the Warn hub conversion Curt? Less drag when unlocked and you can rebuild/repack your bearings for cheap, may be more cost-effective down the road if it keeps eating hubs up. I love mine :)
                              I will have to do some research, but I am unaware of a hub conversion for the dana 44 front axle. Do you or anyone else know about a hub conversion for the Rubicon front axle? If so could you point me to a website for the info? Thank you in advance!! : )

Comment

Working...
                              X