X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Dirty Kanza 200 Volunteer Event

2011 Dirty Kanza 200 Volunteer Event

WHAT

A 200 mile offroad bicycle race that draws riders from across the country. It has grown in size each year and this year they have increased the field to 350 riders. They will also have different clases this year.

WHEN

The race is June 4th and starts at sunrise, with riders on the course for most of the day. The fastest riders will finish in between 12 and 13 hours, with the pack coming in after dark.

Our participation would begin on June 3rd, so at least some of the teams have to be able to take that day off from work, when we stake the course.

OUR PARTICIPATION

Last year we had four 2-person teams. They would like us to increase our participation to six or eight vehicles this year and take a more active role on the day of the race.

Activities:
    • Marking the course on Friday, June 3rd.
    • Sweeping the course on Saturday, June 4th.
    • Providing a limited amount of rider support on Saturday. Examples: if we see someone out there suffering from heat exhaustion, we give them some water, and perhaps in an extreme situation, we give him a ride to the nearest checkpoint.
    • Midwest Mountain Bike Patrol is a group is made up of off-road bicyclists, who are also EMT's. They are thinking thinking if maybe they can do this, a few of of us could have one of these EMTs ride along.

WHY
    • Last year we earned $500 for the club. This year, if we can increase our participation the donation will be $1,000.
    • We get to help out on one of the premier upcoming, if not arrived, national offroad bicycle races. This is great publicity and could help deliver some membership, or at the very least recognition.
    • You get to drive through the Flint Hills on roads/paths not traveled frequently. You will see some very pretty scenery.

VOLUNTEER INFORMATION

You do not need to be set up as a rock crawler or mudder. Recovery points are good, some parts of the route were very rough although passable, but if the weekend is very rainy there would be places you could easily get stuck. Your vehicle does need to be capable of running all day and have room to carry the course staking materials, and of course, it needs to be street legal.

You need to be able to read a county road map too.

This is a great activity for people who like trail running and more safari style outings.

VOLUNTEER JEEP LIST

These are people who have volunteered to participate and who are bringing a Jeep.

1. Todd (organizer) and Stephanie Fiedler
    2. Ron Armstrong
    3. Ken Burns and Wife
    4. Travis Giguere
    5. Todd and Sally Jackson
    6. Jodee Trotter
    7. Zach Kolich
    8. Bill Trotter and Wife
    9. Scott Moser
    10. Perry Jordan
    11. Ron Hauser

We have been asked for six to eight Jeeps but more are definately welcome.

Also, you will want/need a rider for this event because one person will drive and the other will stake. You could do it driving by yourself of course, but know that you will be hopping in and out of your Jeep at least once every mile, and more in some areas, during the staking part.

If you want to volunteer, send me a PM and I will edit this post and update the list.

VOLUNTEER RIDER LIST
    1. None yet!

This is a list of people who would like to ride along. You can take a look at the list of drivers above and where it appears someone doesn't have a passenger, ask to volunteer as their passenger. It is the driver's choice of whether to take a passenger.

EVENT PLANNING TIMELINE AND TASKS
    • Identify the remaining volunteers by 31 March.
    • Initial volunteer organizational meeting will be held after the April club meeting.

HOTEL DISCOUNTS

The following hotels are offering discounts for this weekend.
    • Candlewood Suites, 620-343-7756, $72.99 per night.
    • Best Western, 620-342-7587, $89.95 per night.
    • Comfort Inn, 620-342-9700, $70.00 per night.
    • Fairfield Inn, 620-342-4445, $99.00 per night.

The Candlewood is considered the host hotel for the event.

QUESTIONS

Ask them here in this thread or send me a message directly.
    Last edited by tfiedler; 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM. Reason: update volunteer list
    "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

i'd like to volunteer

Comment

Photos from last year

Here are a few pictures I took last year when we did this event. If you participated last year, feel free to post a few samples. Hopefully these pictures will illustrate the event course and the terrain.

A weight limit sign on a bridge that only a small 4x4 could get to. Kansas has its act together. I mean that in a good way because in Missouri that bridge would fall down when you went over it and here in Kansas, it can support a 15 ton vehicle

A quiet water crossing in the middle of nowhere.

Look ma, no wires!

You can take your dog!
      "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

Also, as important topics/subjects come up that need to be part of the official event information, I will edit the first post in the thread and place that content there. That way, even if the thread becomes very long, one will only need to read the first posting to be fully briefed on the event.

Comment

This is on the calendar as an official KCJC event for June now.

Comment

here is a link to my album from last year.

http://picasaweb.google.com/BlooJoop...eat=directlink

Ron

Comment

wow that is some awesome scenery

Comment

Anybody interested in a safari type trip on the backroads of the Flint Hills should sign up for this event.Besides the scenery there is a abundance of wildlife and a couple of the towns have some great historical sites..

Comment

Originally posted by tfiedler View Post
                  Photos from last year

Here are a few pictures I took last year when we did this event. If you participated last year, feel free to post a few samples. Hopefully these pictures will illustrate the event course and the terrain.

A weight limit sign on a bridge that only a small 4x4 could get to. Kansas has its act together. I mean that in a good way because in Missouri that bridge would fall down when you went over it and here in Kansas, it can support a 15 ton vehicle
                  are you saying that a 15 ton bridge in Missouri wont hold up like a similer bridge in Kansas ? hmmmmmmmmm
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by treedawg View Post
                    ...and a couple of the towns have some great historical sites..
                    ...and more geocaches than you could find in 3 full days of caching, even without the race! :)

Comment

He's attesting to the quality workmanship, design, and general construction abilities of the Kansas Dept of Transportation :cheers:

Ahem...take_a_bow-1287.gif

Comment

Me and a copilot are willing to help were exactly is this located at?

Comment

I would be interested in signing up also if any spots are open.
                          Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by diabloed View Post
                            He's attesting to the quality workmanship, design, and general construction abilities of the Kansas Dept of Transportation :cheers:

Ahem...[ATTACH=CONFIG]290[/ATTACH]

LOL
                            but I still think missouri bridges are more fun ! :kilt:

and will see if I can schedule time for this event :-)
                            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Looks to be an excellent turn out. I will, of course, be bringing chrissy my sweet little wheeling dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X