No announcement yet.

96 ZJ Death Wobble Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately death wobble is one of those problems that sometimes you have to throw parts at. Even though the track bar doesn’t move when you turn the wheel that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t move when you hit a bump. Just turning the wheel wont put as much pressure on the bar as a bump will. The track bar should be the first place to start when working on death wobble. If the track bar doesn’t fix it don’t get upset with everyone one hear that is trying to help you.

Comment

Also when you move the steering wheel back and forth do so faster and it will put more pressure on it and it will be easier to see any movement.

Comment

Originally posted by elesjuan View Post
        You guys are effing killin me...

Tried again moving the wheel quickly from left to right and it does appear the axle is moving more than it should. Track bar mounts are solid, the bar itself might be suspect. Will order one friday, but I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't fix the problem...
        Depends on what track bar you bought. Hopefully it wasn't Rubicon Express.

More than it should = any movement at all. There should be no movement. The best track bar should use solid bushings like heims. Unfortunately, you need to mount it with bushings to soak up some of the bump. This is a step in the right direction. However, you do have some more problems that need to be addressed. The control arms, like already shown, and some ball joints might go a long ways. These are all normal maintenance spots and should all be taken care of. There is a test for all of those spots as well.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by MR.CLIFFORD View Post
          Depends on what track bar you bought. Hopefully it wasn't Rubicon Express.
          Or one of Rough Country's older style cheap ones. I used one for less than 100 miles and the "adjustable" threading on the frame side of the bar was totally shot. And that was only running 31's and 3" of lift.....

Comment

Okay-

Went to O'Reilly's website and looked up the trackbar, which comes up MOOG part number DS1235, then googled it and located one online for $53.68 w/free shipping on orders > $50.00.

http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/part_numbers/270360

Then I'm going to replace the bushing with Energy suspension 2.7103R polyurethane bushing set..

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ck+bar+bushing

Acceptable?
            Last edited by elesjuan; 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Okay-

Went to O'Reilly's website and looked up the trackbar, which comes up MOOG part number DS1235, then googled it and located one online for $53.68 w/free shipping on orders > $50.00.

http://www.autopartstomorrow.com/part_numbers/270360

Then I'm going to replace the bushing with Energy suspension 2.7103R polyurethane bushing set..

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ck+bar+bushing

Acceptable?
              Not really. I'm not a huge fan of those poly bushings. Run the replacement track bar first before you replace the bushings. Hold on to the replacement bushing should things **** out.
              Hi

Comment

What'd be better than a poly bushing there? Hard plastic? lol.. Just figured the polys in my experience have been much stiffer bushings than rubber, and even though my track bar bushing looks almost brand new it moves a lot..

Comment

What'd be better than a poly bushing there? Hard plastic? lol.. Just figured the polys in my experience have been much stiffer bushings than rubber, and even though my track bar bushing looks almost brand new it moves a lot..
                  That's because it is old. Rubber wears out. Just like tires. How many miles are on your rig? That is a stock track bar. Seems like it has served a good life.
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by MR.CLIFFORD View Post
                    That's because it is old. Rubber wears out. Just like tires. How many miles are on your rig? That is a stock track bar. Seems like it has served a good life.
                    Does Chrysler make it a habit of putting BDS aftermarket suspension parts on as OEM? I might not know ANYTHING about this Jeep, but I'd bet my life and everything I own that track bar is NOT what was installed in 1996 when that truck left the assembly plant.

IMG_8020.jpg

Might not be able to see, but that says BDS 1235.. Kinda like the MOOG1235 part number only BDS brand..

I've been a shadetree mechanic for almost 17 years now and haven't ever seen a part that shiny and clean on a vehicle surrounded by filthy parts to find the clean one was original...

Now that I do some google searching, I can't find a BDS branded track bar, so I'm speculating that might actually be MOOG part since it's a "DS 1325" so I'm not sure about the B...
                    Last edited by elesjuan; 11-17-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

:deadhorse1: ...don't forget to rotate those tires...

Comment

did this get fixed? i would be willing to lend a hand in chasing the gremlin if you venture this way......i had the same experience not to long ago with my grand.
                        "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
                        Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Track bar should arrive Tuesday according to the UPS tracking information.

Truck defiantly needs an alignment now that I dropped the lower control arm since I neglected to mark where the eccentric was located.. :D Attempted to match hub center to center from driver to passenger, got it pretty close but not close enough. This change has actually amplified my wobble even worse than before, being set off by the smallest of bumps in the roadways. Really hope that trackbar fixes the issue..

Comment

Do I really have to say it?

It wasn't the ****ing track bar. Surprised? I'm not.

Removed the track bar and bracket from the truck. Cleaned and inspected the bracket. The welds are solid, the bracket is not bent, doesn't move, no cracks.. Nothing is wrong with it. Installed the brand new track bar and took it for a drive. The *ONLY* difference it made was the steering is a little more responsive and not as sloppy. First bump I went over at 30mph it went into the death shake. Again.

What now? Replace the entire truck?

Comment

What now? Replace the entire truck?
                              I would say yes. You certainly have a ****ty attitude towards your jeep. Civic sounds right up your alley.
                              Hi

Comment

The *ONLY* difference it made was the steering is a little more responsive and not as sloppy.?
                                So it DID help with slop in the front end. Sounds like a step in the right direction, not a waste at all. You'll find when you google Jeep death wobble that many people go through many parts before they find the culprit, track bar is the leading cause of it by far though. One step at a time, you'll find it

Comment

Working...
                                X