96 ZJ Death Wobble Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 ZJ Death Wobble Question

I bought a 96 ZJ Orvis edition as a basket case project / winter beater vehicle with little disclosure from the seller. After getting the truck home and in a running condition I quickly learned (the first time I drove it!) that it had a death wobble something serious.

Found a stack of receipts in the vehicle for wheel bearings, shocks, motor mounts, trans mount, cv boots, and a few other things. Guess he tried to fix the wobble without any success, but thankfully replaced some parts which I didn't want to deal with. ;) My daily commute to and from work is city streets but most are in pretty poor condition so I've seen the wobble even at 45mph on Blue Parkway for example.

Friday afternoon I found some time to get under the truck and check it out. Jacked up the front end and placed the chassis on stands so the axle would hang free and checked wheel bearings. Both wheels seemed tight far as bearings and cv's go and the track bar looked brand new but holy $^@! was the steering blown out! This is actually the first vehicle I've ever owned without a rack and pinion steering system and my highschool autotech class was a LONG time ago, so forgive my ignorance on some component names...

http://youtu.be/nbM1i2x_-lw

That'd be what I believe they call the inner and outer tierod ends. Went down to the auto store and bought some quality aftermarket replacement parts and promptly installed them. Measured the center to center OAL and attempted to meet that close as possible when installing new parts. First impression on test drive was very positive, no slop in the steering at this point. Highway speeds I can let go of the wheel and it tracks straight, granted the wheel is about 30 degrees to the right, it still doesn't pull. Decided it'd be time to check out some of the known spots on I-635 and my results were very positive! At this point I figured the issue was resolved until I was coming back home on southbound I-635 the last bridge separator just north of Swartz road it happened again!!

The track bar looks brand new, and the drag link tierod end connected to the pitman arm looks brand new, the tierod endlink connected to the passenger knuckle also looks new.

Where should I go from here? I'm thinking about ordering some Energy Suspension poly bushings for the front control arms along with the track bar, then replace the steering shock but I don't want to spend a ton of money to replace this stuff if that won't help my wobble. Front tires are badly worn and I haven't had a chance to check the pressure in them yet. Really want to lift the truck 2 - 3" here pretty quickly and I Hoped to get this figured out before then so I can get new tires and an alignment all in one go.. Ideas? I know this topic has been beaten to death across the internet, but I haven't seen a 100% sure list of the exact parts that for sure cause the issue...

Jeep off, engine off, on level ground. Have someone sit in the driver seat and crank the steering wheel back and forth from 11-1o'clock. Get in there and look at all the parts you just described. You will find which one is causing the problem.
    Hi

Comment

I recommend to try rotating the tires and regulate the air pressure. It worked for my '02 TJ w/ 33's. If this fixes it, take it to a professional alignment shop to have it adjusted back into service specs. After this, rotate tires regularly, including your spare, at every oil change. Check their air pressure every time you get gas. This will get you the best life outta your tires. If your current tires are excessively worn, this may not completely fix your wobble.

Comment

Ack.

The front suspension is really so poorly designed that a worn tire could cause this terrifying shake? I'm skeptical but I'll give that a shot and put the better condition rear tires on front...

Here's the problem. Two things I absolutely know is the truck needs new tires and it needs a proper alignment. However, I want to lift it 2-3" and put some 30 or 31" tires on it before paying for an alignment so I have like a catch 86 or something like that.. (I know, 22, but nothing is ever 'normal' in my life..) If I only still had access to an alignment machine I could do the **** thing myself, but that well dried up.

Comment

if all of your suspension links checked out good and tight, but you know you have excessively worn tires and are out of alignment, I'd definitely address these 2 issues before moving forward. it's by no means a poorly designed suspension system; just a poorly maintained jeep that you bought. I'm not bagging on your ride; jus' gonna take a li'l tlc and $$ to get it back to right.

Comment

Originally posted by elesjuan View Post
            If I only still had access to an alignment machine I could do the **** thing myself, but that well dried up.
            I could mail you my alignment tool to borrow, a tape measure doesn't weight too much ;)

Comment

A measuring tape is NOT an alignment tool.

Comment

I've been using a tape measure for the past 10 years. It is a jeep. Not a Ferrari.

I bet you money that your problem is that track bar.
                Hi

Comment

Don't forget to check the brackets themselves both on the frame and the axle. Same for the bolts that hold the track bar on the frame. Then if those check out, check the frame near the steering box. XJs, or at least mine, had a crack on the base up along the outside. That was back 1999!
                  Mike
                  Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I can rock the entire truck with the trackbar and it doesn't budge any.. Haven't physically removed it from teh truck, but it looks brand new...

Comment

Originally posted by MR.CLIFFORD View Post
                      I've been using a tape measure for the past 10 years. It is a jeep. Not a Ferrari.

I bet you money that your problem is that track bar.
                      Same here, it's far from a precision steering assembly. I don't know how much $$$ I would have wasted on alignments after banging around the front ends on the trails. Your vehicle though, your call. Just trying to save you from unnecessary costs

Comment

Originally posted by elesjuan View Post
                        I can rock the entire truck with the trackbar and it doesn't budge any.. Haven't physically removed it from teh truck, but it looks brand new...
                        Have somebody turn the steering back and forth and watch both ends of the track bar mount closely. I don't think you can check by rocking it

Comment

Did you crank the steering wheel like I suggested?
                          Hi

Comment

http://youtu.be/zoIIKoWP6Oo

Done. Saw absolutely nothing suspect. Passenger upper ball joint might be loose, but when I had the truck front end jacked up I couldn't move the wheel in or out.

Greased everything up before the test, verified air pressure was exactly 35psi in all four tires, took it for a test drive and still does the wobble. This time found a bump on shawnee mission parkway in Merriam that does it at 40mph.

Comment

Did you shoot that video with your blender?

Do you see how the axle is moving under the jeep when you crank the wheel back and forth? That's your problem. Track bar or track bar bracket.
                              Hi

Comment

Working...
                              X