No announcement yet.

96 ZJ Death Wobble Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I shot it with a phone that's supposed to take VERY high quality video, come to find out it was set to the lowest setting and I don't have the steadiest hand in the world.

I kept watching the video, and I *think* there is axle movement at like 40 seconds in the video, but I can't tell for sure. Like I said though, that bar looks new. Very new. Granted when I pumped grease into it tonight it sounded like I was pumping water into sand.. I tried to inspect the chassis bracket for the track bar and didn't see any sign of stress or damage. Does someone make a bolt on beefed up upgrade chassis bracket?

Comment

I don't "think" there is axle movement. I'm telling you there is. And it is the bushing in the axle end that is causing it.
      Hi

Comment

I would check control arm bushings I own 3 grand Cherokee's if yours is the AWD model the alignment and bushings can play a large part in the death wobble issue.

Comment

So everyone thinks its the control arm bushings? I'll start dropping those tonight and inspect them, will post results.

Comment

I don't. I think it is the track bar bushing at the axle and at the frame. Else the axle wouldn't be moving like it is at 45 seconds in your video. You can even hear it clicking when you change directions.
            Hi

Comment

Show of hands... who still thinks its the track bar?

http://youtu.be/sob9Pt5rDRM

Comment

I do.
                Hi

Comment

You've yet to explain HOW it is the track bar.

I'll eat a cat turd if that's the case. I've seen absolutely NO evidence to support this aside from an opinion..

Comment

I'm not using my opinion. I'm using the facts that you've shown. I have explained. I will explain in better detail. In your video I can see the axle moving side to side under the sub frame of your jeep. There should be ZERO movement. That is what the track bar does for you. Having seen this same problem on more jeeps than I care to remember I can tell you that your death wobble problem is the track bar. If you want to bring it to Wichita I can point it out to you in person.

I can't physically get you to believe me because you don't know what to look for. The rod end that is clanking around in your second video is completely shot. Even though you are looking at the bushing at the axle there is no way to visually look and tell that it is ****. That is what the steering test shows you. You are looking for movement at either end that would only amplify once you are on the road. Even if you replace your crapped out bushings on your control arms(which is a very good idea) you will still have the death wobble issues if you do not address the track bar.

My "opinion" is to take what I say and don't use it as truth. Use it to get you to the truth. If it helps guide you in the correct direction then that is all that matters. At the end of the day you are the only person in control over the problems on your jeep. You can either be sheople and be lead astray or use what people say to learn some facts. Don't take what anyone says as concrete evidence. Use it to help point you in the correct direction. :)
                    Hi

Comment

I just watched the video and I agree with Mr. Clifford. The axle is moving side to side in the video. That means there IS play in the trackbar. Control arms doing nothing to prevent side to side movment. I would go ahead and change the control arm bushings but they are not the problem...

Comment

Snack time!!

Hi

Comment

Originally posted by MR.CLIFFORD View Post
                          Snack time!!

Roflmao now that is some funny stuff rite there!

Comment

:laugh_above::pbj:

Comment

I would also look at the track bar mounts.

Comment

You guys are effing killin me...

Tried again moving the wheel quickly from left to right and it does appear the axle is moving more than it should. Track bar mounts are solid, the bar itself might be suspect. Will order one friday, but I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't fix the problem...

Comment

Working...
                                X