No announcement yet.

compatible axle assembly for a 98 grand cherokee limited 5.9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a jeep tech at a dealership working on these for a few years, i still work everyday on cars, the only differential that will fit the 1993-1998 jeep grand cherokee is out of a 1993-1998 jeep grand cherokee. The dana 44A is aluminum in the center the only ones that have been rumored to have a steel center section are in south america, most believe it to be an urban legend though. Yes it is aluminum, will parts from other Dana 44's fit...no. You need a differential from a 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you want to research anymore go to NAGCA.com and post it up or search it.
    Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us about axle assembly. Right now, I am planning to purchase a omix axle assembly this coming weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by jsulen View Post
        Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us about axle assembly. Right now, I am planning to purchase a omix axle assembly this coming weekend.
        Welcome to the site. Hopefully you'll get it back together and out on the road again. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
          and a HP does not have reverse rotation.....it is just reverse cut as everything rotates the same direction ! ;-)
          Yeah, I know that. But there are a lot of people that call it reverse rotation, so that is why I typed it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhiranger View Post
            Yeah, I know that. But there are a lot of people that call it reverse rotation, so that is why I typed it that way.
            no problemo :-)

now ya know the correct way to refer to High pinion gears and such ! ;-)
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Finally got some time to look in the yards for a replacement rear axle. Ran across a couple of grands with the Dana 44. Both had the limited package, and 5.2 (didn't find any with the 5.9). Unfortunately, both had about 235K on them, so didn't think it was worth the risk to pull them and hope the bearings were good. One had the rear cover already off, and someone had already tried to take the axle apart. I popped the cover off the other one and the oil was just nasty and had lots of sparklies in it.
              I pulled the fill plug in her rear axle and the oil was honey colored and I didn't see any sparklies in it and it was at the proper level. So I am kinda wondering why the rear end is making noise with only 133K on it. I couldn't determine if it is an axle bearing making noise or the carrier or pinion bearings. I did jack up each rear tire and shake each of them. Neither had any play. I also shook the driveshaft, no play in the pinion bearings or ujoints either. I also checked the tires, to make sure it wasn't just tire noise...both were evenly worn and had no unusual wear patterns. So maybe it is the carrier bearings. Are the carrier bearings known for going bad in these?
              Looks like we will probably just get a bearing kit and replace the bearings; unless we can find a known good rear axle for a reasonable cost.

Comment

Yes carrier bearings are known for going bad along with pinion bearings. It is hard to tell what is wrong with it without being able to hear the noise. If you checked the oil in the diff with it cold the "sparkles" will have settled in the bottom and you would not be able to see them by just checking the top of the fluid. If you want to know for sure pop the cover and see what you have in there. Have you given LKQ a call on the differential? They are nationwide and can probably get one for you. If you go the route of new bearings you are probably looking at about the 800 dollar range unless you can do it yourself. If you have new bearings installed in it then, you know what you have whereas if you buy a used diff then you have no idea. Good luck!

Comment

mileage(sp?) shouldn't be a problem.......unless they ran diff. dry !

or the gear lap was wrong ! .......;-)
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by reward_1000 View Post
                    Yes carrier bearings are known for going bad along with pinion bearings. It is hard to tell what is wrong with it without being able to hear the noise. If you checked the oil in the diff with it cold the "sparkles" will have settled in the bottom and you would not be able to see them by just checking the top of the fluid. If you want to know for sure pop the cover and see what you have in there. Have you given LKQ a call on the differential? They are nationwide and can probably get one for you. If you go the route of new bearings you are probably looking at about the 800 dollar range unless you can do it yourself. If you have new bearings installed in it then, you know what you have whereas if you buy a used diff then you have no idea. Good luck!
                    I checked the oil right after I took it for a drive. So any sparklies should have been well distributed throughout the oil.
                    The noise is more of a "wooshing" sound, than a grinding or anything else. It is hard to hear from the front seats, but sitting in the back seats it is pretty easy to hear.
                    It does have the trac-lock in it, but I don't see how that would make any noise, when driving in a straight line.
                    The online places I have found for complete used axles have been $300 and up....and like you said, it will still be a used axle assembly.
                    Yeah, I plan on doing the bearings myself....if that is the route she ends up going.
                    I guess I could pop the cover off and check to see if I can see or feel anything that isn't right. But she has still been driving it,
                    Nothing special about the diff is there? Just shims on the sides of the carrier bearings and a crush sleeve for the pinion bearings? I've set up ford front D44s, ford 8.8s, ford d35s, suzuki samurai and tracker/sidekicks. So I know my way around diffs pretty good.
                    Thanks again, for the info.

Comment

mileage(sp?) shouldn't be a problem.......unless they ran diff. dry !

or the gear lap was wrong ! .......;-)
                      Yeah, I agree. But bearings also shouldn't go out of an axle assembly that has good clean oil in it, and that is at the proper level, at 133K either. She has owned this since about 30K and she said she hasn't ever had the rear end serviced....but like I found, the oil was clean and at the proper level. So you tell me why the bearings are going out? Like I said, too much of a risk to buy a used axle with over 200K on it, IMO....when there are ones out there that the bearings go out of at 133K. Before she (we) take the risk, and time, and money, of putting in a 200K+ axle assembly, I'll just put a bearing kit in her current axle.

Comment

If you want a second opinion on the noise PM me and we can meet up sometime and I can listen to it for you if you'd like. I live near KS Speedway and The Legends, so let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by reward_1000 View Post
                          If you want a second opinion on the noise PM me and we can meet up sometime and I can listen to it for you if you'd like. I live near KS Speedway and The Legends, so let me know.
                          Thanks. Might take you up on that.
                          This is my cousin's jeep. So I'll talk to her sometime, and see if she wants to do that sometime.

Comment

well the more miles on axle should lower price of said axle..........and maybe make up the cost of new bearings ? .......

anyways..

I always rebuild axles after I get them just so I KNOW that they are worthy of the punishment I will be putting them thru ! ;-)
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

well the more miles on axle should lower price of said axle..........and maybe make up the cost of new bearings ? .......

anyways..

I always rebuild axles after I get them just so I KNOW that they are worthy of the punishment I will be putting them thru ! ;-)
                              In some instances you are correct. But the salvage yards we were searching for the axle in have set prices. They don't care if it has 10K miles or 500K miles....the price is the same. Now, if we were buying off an individual, then that may be a different deal and the prices would likely vary, depending on the miles and overall axle condition.
                              Since it looks like the best choice is going to be to get a bearing kit, there is no need to buy another axle to do that to. I'll just put the bearing kit into her current axle and it should be "good as new", plus save the cost of buying another complete axle.

Comment

COOL....we do what we do......you have made your choice.....if your happy...I am happy .....LOL

wheel on bro !
                                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                                X