compatible axle assembly for a 98 grand cherokee limited 5.9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compatible axle assembly for a 98 grand cherokee limited 5.9

My cousin is looking for a replacement rear axle assembly for a 98 grand cherokee limited with the 5.9 engine. I understand that exact setup (grand, limited, 5.9) was only available in 98, but I am guessing there wasn't anything special about the rear axle assembly, but don't know for sure. Anyway, what vehicles and years will have an exact match to that rear axle?
    Oh, I was also reading that the axle has the trac-lock diff. How does she determine the replacement axle assembly has a trac-lock diff, without opening it up?
    One more thing...do the axle assemblys have a tag on them, telling you the gear ratio? Is there a tag, or reference, anywhere else on the vehicle, or axle, that tells you what the ratio is?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Skyhiranger; 01-10-2011, 10:44 AM.

is he looking for a stock jeep replacement or an upgraded non jeep axle?
    The stock axle is an aluminum Dana 44, not compatible with normal D44's
    it should have a tag held by a bolt on the cover with the gears.
    i believe if it had a tow package,which most v8 grands do, it would be 3.73's, mine did IIRC. i could be wrong, I was once, but i divorced her......
    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

oops, edit all "he's" to be "she's", just noticed that part.
      Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

She is just looking for an identical replacement axle assembly....it is just a DD for her.
        From what I have found from a few different online sources....it has a spicer 44 axle with trac-lock and 3.73 gears. It appears that was the only option for the 98 grand limited with the 5.9. Does that sound correct?
        I don't know if the axle housing is aluminum or steel (I haven't seen it and she hasn't said....I could have her check though). I would be surprised if they put an aluminum rear housing in a vehicle with a 5.9, but I guess they could have. If they did, a steel 44 wouldn't be a direct swap?
        Good info on the axle tag. I figured it should have one, but wasn't for sure. Shouldn't that tag also say what axle it is (44, 35, 8.25, etc.) and whether or not it has trac-lock? Or is there a different place on the vehicle to look for that info?

Comment

Kevin, check car-parts.com for recycle yard listings. You can check CL for them, but mind you, the seller probably has no idea on the axles.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
            Kevin, check car-parts.com for recycle yard listings. You can check CL for them, but mind you, the seller probably has no idea on the axles.
            I found several on CL, but since I don't know what years are compatible, it is pretty much a waste of time. Will the axle tag tell the type of axle and whether or not it has trac-lock?
            I'll check out car-parts and see what they list.

Comment

The JeepWiki page just says it's a standard D44 with a tracloc.

there should be a BOM (bill of materials) number on it along with the diff tag. And the model number is usually on the lower right gusset

BOM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by diabloed View Post
                The JeepWiki page just says it's a standard D44 with a tracloc.

there should be a BOM (bill of materials) number on it along with the diff tag. And the model number is usually on the lower right gusset

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289[/ATTACH]
                Cool, thanks. That all matches up with what I have found as well.
                So now the big question....what vehicles and years of vehicles can I find replacement axle assemblies in?

Comment

Assuming it has the same measurements you could find a D44 from other GC's and TJ's then just just use her internals (you never mentioned what was wrong with the axle) or buy new R&P and tracloc

Comment

Originally posted by diabloed View Post
                    Assuming it has the same measurements you could find a D44 from other GC's and TJ's then just just use her internals (you never mentioned what was wrong with the axle) or buy new R&P and tracloc
                    That's just it, I have no idea if other GC or TJs share the same axle assembly or not. I don't know that much about jeeps. That is why I am asking Q's here.
                    She says the "rear end is out". So take that for what it's worth. I would assume there is something wrong with the R&P or the carrier or pinion bearings. Like I said, I haven't looked at it, she just contacted me, to see what I could do for finding a replacement rear end. Whoever she took it to, said it would be cheaper to just replace the whole axle assembly, than paying them to tear her's apart and fix it (which is likely true, since they would basically have to disassemble the whole axle, assuming it is the R&P or bearings). I have no intention of taking her's apart and fixing it (don't have the time). If she wants to buy a replacement axle assembly, I'd help her swap it out.

Comment

last I heard, TJ's have same control arms as ZJ's and WJ's, so there rear axles should fit I am thinking ! ;-)

course I could be wrong....as I have been married ....TWICE ! :-)
                      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                        last I heard, TJ's have same control arms as ZJ's and WJ's, so there rear axles should fit I am thinking ! ;-)

course I could be wrong....as I have been married ....TWICE ! :-)
                        I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I need more than a "should".

How many different dana 44s did they put into jeeps? From what I understand, the D44 that is in the 98 grand/limited/5.9 has coil springs, disc brakes, 3.73s and a trac-lock. So what jeeps were setup like that with a D44 rear axle? I am guessing a TJ, since you mentioned it. But would the axle be the same width as a grand? Seems like it would be narrower, but IDK.

Comment

dont worry....."should" is gone !
                          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

NO NO NO the only axle to fit a ZJ is one out of a ZJ. The mounting points are completely different than any other jeep on the rear axle. Yes it is an aluminum Dana 44 hybrid. You can bolt a Dana 35 out of a ZJ in it if it has the correct gears, but it will not hold up to a 5.9. They did put tags on the housings sometimes they are left off when the diff gets serviced. If the tags are there it should have a trac-loc tag also. You can tell trac-loc by rotating one of the wheels or axles, if the other side turns the same way it is trac-loc if it turns the opposite way or not at all then it is not trac-loc. Good luck with your search.
                            Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Sounds like it's time to hunt for a ZJ D44 or look into what's broke and make repairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X