compatible axle assembly for a 98 grand cherokee limited 5.9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reward_1000 View Post
    NO NO NO the only axle to fit a ZJ is one out of a ZJ. The mounting points are completely different than any other jeep on the rear axle. Yes it is an aluminum Dana 44 hybrid. You can bolt a Dana 35 out of a ZJ in it if it has the correct gears, but it will not hold up to a 5.9. They did put tags on the housings sometimes they are left off when the diff gets serviced. If the tags are there it should have a trac-loc tag also. You can tell trac-loc by rotating one of the wheels or axles, if the other side turns the same way it is trac-loc if it turns the opposite way or not at all then it is not trac-loc. Good luck with your search.
    Thanks. Great info.
    Ok. Next question.....a "ZJ" is a 93-98 Grand Cherokee, right? If so, then as long as it is a Dana 44 out of any 93-98 Grand Cherokee, it will bolt right up, right? And as long as I match the gear ratio, then there should be no issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhiranger View Post
      Thanks. Great info.
      Ok. Next question.....a "ZJ" is a 93-98 Grand Cherokee, right? If so, then as long as it is a Dana 44 out of any 93-98 Grand Cherokee, it will bolt right up, right? And as long as I match the gear ratio, then there should be no issues with it.
      Yes as long as it is from a 93-98 grand cherokee it should fit.
      Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by reward_1000 View Post
        Yes as long as it is from a 93-98 grand cherokee it should fit.
        Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure they didn't put some "special" D44 in there, since it had the 5.9 engine.

Comment

Nothing special about it compared to the others.
          Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Great. Thanks again. I, and she, really appreciates it.

Comment

Im finding conflicting info on the 98 5.9 rear axle, some sites are stating 'standard' Dana 44 ( i take that as cast iron center section) others state Dana 44HP (the aluminum center one, not high pinion). A couple sites are saying the 44HP are also in vettes and vipers, dont know about that as i dont have either, and if thats the case then i would think it could handle the 5.9 as its only 248 HP or something like that.

If it was me, i would magnet test the center section to confirm iron or aluminum, then find a replacement.
              Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

I thought all grand cherokee dana 44's were the aluminum center?

Comment

Originally posted by WesSaun View Post
                  Im finding conflicting info on the 98 5.9 rear axle, some sites are stating 'standard' Dana 44 ( i take that as cast iron center section) others state Dana 44HP (the aluminum center one, not high pinion). A couple sites are saying the 44HP are also in vettes and vipers, dont know about that as i dont have either, and if thats the case then i would think it could handle the 5.9 as its only 248 HP or something like that.

If it was me, i would magnet test the center section to confirm iron or aluminum, then find a replacement.

the rear in vettes is a dana 44 (me boss has one) and guess who gets to do maintenance on it ! LOL

but it is an independent suspension model and I dont think ZJ's came with one !

course it would be nice if they did infact have one ! LOL ;-)

unless ya want to do some serious wheeling ! :-)

btw

I want a ZJ as DD and tow vehicle (not to wheel) so opinions vary ! ..........:-)
                  Last edited by spunebil; 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM.
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by inphobic View Post
                    I thought all grand cherokee dana 44's were the aluminum center?
                    me too, but some sites state 'standard' dana 44, so do they mean 'standard' is a cast iron center, or does standard mean what came in the other grands too, and that would be aluminum.

i still think the magnet test would be the quickest way to decide what it is.
                    Wes

Comment

what sites say standard ?

or do they mean standard ZJ ?
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

me too, but some sites state 'standard' dana 44, so do they mean 'standard' is a cast iron center, or does standard mean what came in the other grands too, and that would be aluminum.

i still think the magnet test would be the quickest way to decide what it is.
                        Or are they referring to "standard" as "standard rotation" as in a low pinion? Are all GC D44s low pinion?

Comment

Most all sites also call it a dana 44......which in fact it is a dana 44a, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhiranger View Post
                            Most all sites also call it a dana 44......which in fact it is a dana 44a, right?
                            i dont think they are referring to rotation, and yes d44a. have her stick a magnet on it and you'll know what you need. if you do decide to rebuild and you need a 44a core (not a traclok ) to build and swap in, i got one in my garage floor you can have.....
                            Wes

Comment

i dont think they are referring to rotation, and yes d44a. have her stick a magnet on it and you'll know what you need. if you do decide to rebuild and you need a 44a core (not a traclok ) to build and swap in, i got one in my garage floor you can have.....
                              If she decides to go that route, I'll let you know.
                              Thanks for the offer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Skyhiranger;40695]Or are they referring to "standard" as "standard rotation" as in a low pinion? Are all GC D44s low pinion?[/QUOTE

I havent heard of any HP rear diffs, but if ya want to check, the pinion is high on a HP and low on a LP :-)

and a HP does not have reverse rotation.....it is just reverse cut as everything rotates the same direction ! ;-)
                                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                                X