I got a new trailer!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Alan.
    I do plan to use it for other things also like putting the pop up camper and jeep on for trips and maybe pulling the jeep and jet ski trailer on for trips to Disney and such. I think the only real concern is the current receiver hitch on my truck which is a class 4 and I will be slightly over the rated capacity of it, but as I said before I will check into a beefier one. It's also an 8500#, 23' long tow rig too, so I am not too worried about the weight :)
    I do have the weight distributing hitch also to help out and I have seen many and used the same hitch for much heavier loads, but as stated that doesn't make it right :roll:

Comment

Austin,

I'm really glad to see you looking to do this the right way.

There are too many knuckleheads out there that have no concern for their own safety or the others around them.

If they want to put themselves in danger because of some concoction they have rigged up, that is fine with me. It's all part of natural selection. It just really rubs me the wrong way when it could potentially involve other innocent victims.

Best of luck.

Comment

They do make a class V hitch which is rated at 18,000/1,800, which come in 2" 2 1/2" and 3" receiver sizes and would require special receiver and ball combinations.

Comment

I talked to the trailer place and they do have a class 5 hitch with the 2 1/2 reciever but they also mentioned what I already suspected which was: with a weight distributing hitch it ups mine to a 14K and that it would be fine anyway, but if I wanted they would sell me a class 5 for 350 bucks :?

Comment

Build a Goose neck on that thing.

Really with that long of a trailer a bumper hitch is maxed out.

Cut a 3" hole in the bed for the ball. Run sone reinforced channel under the bed.

$300 in metal for the goose neck on the trailer and you are done.

Comment

The whole point is to keep the camper shell and bed space

Comment

Originally posted by got flx
                The whole point is to keep the camper shell and bed space
                Buy a bigger truck and camp in the back seat and your not really going to loose any bed space.

I have both a camper shell and a tonnaeu cover for my truck and wouldn't hestitate at all to pull them off to pull a GN. Everyone has there own reasons though, so do what you gotta do man.

Comment

I'm sorry but I just think you are very much underestimating your tongue weight. even if you pull your Jeep on backward it just looks like it will be in front of of the front axle of your trailer axles. This to means just over 4K of weight at the tongue. I would love to see a picture to see two Jeeps on this trailer the way you will be towing with it to prove me and others wrong...

I Think your trailer is great, but I would go back to Truck, Trailer and Hitch and complain and have them RR the axles to a more 5uitable spot almost in the center so atleast you can have at least one of your Jeep axles and it weight over the front trailer axle.

Just a thought.
                  Alan

Comment

Oh I am all for that but they ain't gonna do that, they say it is designed for 15% tongue weight, so I can't really ***** until I load it and really see what it is. Unfortunatly Barbs jeep is in Topeka and the next trip planned is looking like Clayton, OK :?

Comment

Do you want to borrow mine to do a load test and see where the weight comes in?

Comment

You can use mina as well if you would like

Comment

I did some research and found that it should have 9 to 15% max of tongue weight and more importantly with tandem axles it should be a 60 40 split between the axles from front to back.
                          What this comes to is the trailer has 10'4" back and 20' in front of the center point of the axles, not counting the 4' tongue. That works out to 65% and 35% :? Ah Ha It should be 12'4" and 18' and that is why I requested it with no dove tail cus I figured it would have about 10' behind the rear axle which is about right.
                          So now I guess I am going to call them and tell them all of this and see what they say :roll: This should be interesting :shock:

Oh and Barb is getting her Jeep back this weekend :shock:

Comment

I know I am stating the obvious. But it sounds like speculation is causing anxiety. If it were me, and I didn't know BUT wanted to know.

I would take it to a set of scales weigh the tongue weight, trailer, truck and trailer, etc etc etc.

Then make modifications in the loading procedure, trailer or truck based on the data.

Wally

Comment

Working...
                            X