Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a new trailer!

My Aunt and I went halfs on this so we could haul both jeeps :lol:
    Since she has inherited my knack for breakage :? :shock: Truck trailer and Hitch center were the best price I could find after calling A LOT of places, and Woody over there has sold a few trailers to members so he was more than willing to work with us on price.

I plan on using it for camping trips to haul the pop up and my jeep and for hauling other peoples jeeps and splitting the cost of fuel when my Aunt doesn't go on trips also :lol:

I was hoping to have a little more overhang on the back to help even out the tongue weight, but too late now :? I have a weight distributing hitch so that will help.

The trailer title says it weighs 4400#'s not too bad for a 30 footer I suppose, I was hoping it would be about 900#'s less but that just means it is well built. I put a couple coats of redwood stain and wood sealer on it first thing to shnaz it up and help it last :) I also have a spare and mount to weld on I just haven't figured out where to put it yet
    The drive over fenders are extremely stout I could park a jeep on them too :twisted:

It also has a reciever int he back which I didn't expect, but I am not sure of the MODOT laws, I think it is a length restriction so I may be able to pull the Jet skis also :twisted:

Nice looking trailer :)

whats the tounge weight going to be with two jeeps on there ? :?
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

That is a L-O-N-G sucker!

Good lookin' rig Austin, I'm jealous!! :(

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil
        Nice looking trailer :)

whats the tounge weight going to be with two jeeps on there ? :?
        The axles appear to be a long ways back.

Your tongue is going to be really heavy with one Jeep completely in front of the axles.

Comment

Originally posted by MudinyeriOffroad
          Your tongue is going to be really heavy with one Jeep completely in front of the axles.
          You still balance the weight over the axles even with one Jeep on there.

Nice trailer Austin. I was thinking of picking one like that up so i could pull the YJ and XJ.

Comment

I think he meant, when you load both jeeps, one of them will be completely in front of the trailer's axles, with the other one in the back over the axles & overhang in the rear... which means a LOT of tongue weight. But that big dually should be able to pull it.

Why'd you decide on the bumper pull instead of a gooseneck? camper top?

Comment

yeah...looks good, but I was worried about tongue weight so i went with the goose neck. Mines only 28ft but taking the weight off the bumper was a blessing!!! Why didn't you do the goose austin? Anyways...Woody took care of you I am sure...Did me a heck of a deal!! I believe you can haul your skis behind with no problem. I had my jeep on trailer with my XJ and I went to pick up my buddies 16ft pull behind camper and I didn't have any trouble with johnny law!!

"I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
              Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

I wanted a bumper pull for 2 reasons to keep the camper top and for comfort. Goosenecks seem to lurch and make the ride a lot rougher, at least all of the ones I have driven at jobs.

Yeah 1 jeep I would put it back over the axles, but two will put one in front of the axles which is why I put mine on the back backwards to balance the weight Thats why I wanted a little more overhang :? I pulled a 30' deckover with tandem duals with both jeeps, rolled across the scales at 28k when we went to Hot Springs :shock: It pulled it fine until my High pressure oil pump gave up the farm due to the previous owners jerry rigging
                tongue weight should be about 2k Spune, and I have the weight dist. hitch too

Comment

Good looking trailer, I like the stain work and the heavy fenders.

You can't tow tandem when the first trailer is a tag, only if it is a goose or 5th. Put the heavy rig out back, it does look like it will have alot of tounge weight. Does it have tandem 7k axles? Are the tires E or G load range? Add up the weight of the trailer, two rigs that are heavier that you think, subtract the tounge weight and I bet you are over loaded for E load range tires and G loadrange will be pushing it.

Scott

Comment

It has tandem 7k axles and E rated 10 ply tires rated for 3520lbs each. GVWR of the trailer is 14,000.
                    My Jeep is about 5k and I am guessing my Aunts to be 4500 and the trailer is 4400 so it would be right at it but you have to consider about 2k will be on the rear of the truck too.

I thought I heard it had to be a 5th or goose to pull 2 trailers, but since they put the reciever on thre I was wondering :roll:

Comment

If it has 2000 lbs on the tounge you need to look at the hitch on your truck.

I have tandem 8k axles on my gooseneck and I have no axle issues but I have lost four tires. My tires are 14 ply G load range rated at 3750lbs each and I have never had more than 13k lbs on the axles and tires. I did not have a problem untill the tires were 4 years old. I lost four on one trip. I now carry two spares and will replace the current set that is six months old with a set of 17.5" wheels and tires when they hit three years old.

Comment

FWIW what I have been reading lately on towing (notice the new hauler in sig) it is 65' total length and you can tow two bumper pulls if the front has sway control and the rear has brakes.
                        I'm in KS, but I'm pretty sure it's that way for atleast the KS, OK, MO area.

Comment

A quick browser history search I fould the link to each states towing laws.

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Comment

Originally posted by rjh
                            I think he meant, when you load both jeeps, one of them will be completely in front of the trailer's axles, with the other one in the back over the axles & overhang in the rear... which means a LOT of tongue weight. But that big dually should be able to pull it.

Why'd you decide on the bumper pull instead of a gooseneck? camper top?
                            Exactly what I meant. I have no question the dually can pull the trailer. I'd just hate to see the welds fail on your hitch. You have air bags?

Comment

Both Jeeps are heavier on the front axle than the rear, so by backing both of them on you should be able to get enough weight toward the rear of the trailer to make it work. It will just take a little trial and error adjustment to determine what positioning works best.

Comment

Working...
                              X