KC is losing a great Jeeper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KC is losing a great Jeeper

As some of you may know, Glen Richardson is retiring in March and moving west the next day.

As a way of saying "Thank You" for the years of assistance on the trail, advice on Jeeps and obstacles, for being a great guy and most of all a friend, I think it would be cool to post up stories and pictures of our favorite adventures with Glen.

My favorite story on Glen is a trip to tuttle creek, as we unloaded the jeep from the trailers, we were razzing Glen about never getting really stuck. As usual we picked Glen to lead the group, he went down the road from the parking lot towards the bottoms, turned left, he was not out of sight 5 seconds and I heard on the CB was Glen saying " I'm Stuck ". I thought he was messing with us but he wasn't. He had buried the front end up to the bumper.

Another time in a great display of patience, Glen was spotting me over a ledge with no success, after about 10 or more tries Glen walked over to my Jeep, leaned in the window and whispered, 'Turn the lockers on!" then went back to spotting.

Mud is not one of Glen's favorites, but he never complained the many, many times he waded into the muck to hook up a line to haul me out of whatever mess I had driven into. In the pic below i would have made it if he wasn't holding me back. ha ha

Glen was the first to jump in to help, here he is holding a tree out of the way.

Every time i got myself in trouble he was there to help, hmmmm there seems to be a pattern here, his favorite thing to say to me was "You can make that!"

I left a lot of pucker marks in the passenger seat of his jeep, I was not with him during this one, but you get the idea.

I can only hope at some point in the future he finds his way back here with another Jeep in tow

and shows us once again how to get it done.

Glen, Thanks for everything you've done for me over the years.
    Last edited by WesSaun; 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM.
    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Glen will be missed on the trails !
    He towed be back to parking lot after I rolled at zookes squeze :)
    Had to stretch rope to winch is to top of hill on main road !

Where out west?
    Colorado?
    Utah?
    California?
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Great guy all around,he bailed me out at SMORR when I stuck a limb thru my radiator.Had a great time with him in Moab also,bailed me out there with a broomstick poke'n a broken axle out of my houseing.Always a great tme with Glen.And his wife was always a hoot.See if I have some pics around to post but is dearly missed by everyone.One moe thing,thanks for stacking all those rocks for me too to get over stuff over the years.......

Comment

Glen swares I am a curse to him. I had just finished doing some work to his jeep. The next weekend he went with a few of us down to smorr to wheel with some bigger tired guys. I was spotting him up a ledge that was loose with some mud on it. Really wasn't a very big ledge but it was slick and going up a hill. So I said just bump it ." It's a momentum thing" . So he did just that and whoop! Likity split he rolled his jeep all the way over and landed on it's side. We found his glasses and everything else as well. Just a little damage to the windsheild but he was all good. Then I swear the next time I wheeled with him we had just built and installed a d60 rear axle under his rig. We were at paola and I was spotting him up a ledge that I beleive may be the only rock ledge there. I said just give it a bump and bam, he broke a rear d60 axle shaft. I was less than 8 feet away both times. He looked at me and swore I was bad luck. I have missed wheeling with Glen in the last couple years. I sure hope he returns to wheelin literally in his back yard in MOAB. I look forward to seeing and wheeling with him again. Congratulation on your retirement Glen. Mike
        4x4LAND.com
        Mike
        Knowledge is priceless

Comment

I'm not sure whether I have met him or not but he sure seems like a great guy. funny comment though is the pic you posted Wes of Glen sunk to his bumper, I went wheeling at tuttle while stock and almost went into that hole but a tree had fallen and blocked it half way through. after I got home I found a youtube vid of a yota on 40s sunk to the frame in it, boy was I glad that tree was there. Glen, I wish you the best in your retirement, you sound like quite the guy to know. Happy Jeeping

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4 LAND View Post
            Glen swares I am a curse to him. I had just finished doing some work to his jeep. The next weekend he went with a few of us down to smorr to wheel with some bigger tired guys. I was spotting him up a ledge that was loose with some mud on it. Really wasn't a very big ledge but it was slick and going up a hill. So I said just bump it ." It's a momentum thing" . So he did just that and whoop! Likity split he rolled his jeep all the way over and landed on it's side. We found his glasses and everything else as well. Just a little damage to the windsheild but he was all good. Then I swear the next time I wheeled with him we had just built and installed a d60 rear axle under his rig. We were at paola and I was spotting him up a ledge that I beleive may be the only rock ledge there. I said just give it a bump and bam, he broke a rear d60 axle shaft. I was less than 8 feet away both times. He looked at me and swore I was bad luck. I have missed wheeling with Glen in the last couple years. I sure hope he returns to wheelin literally in his back yard in MOAB. I look forward to seeing and wheeling with him again. Congratulation on your retirement Glen. Mike
            Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

I talked to Glen at the first picnic I went to, and he was more than happy to share a story or two and listen to me babble. Glen, I wish you the best in your retirement and hope to wheel with you sometime. I took a few pics of his Jeep that day at the picnic, so enjoy.......................

:)

JOhn
              1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Glen sounds like a helluva guy to have known and hung out with. In those trail picks he is always right there in the mix. Incidentally, the one where he is "holding" the tree out of the way, that other spotter is Mark Briscoe - another great guy. He was with the Club for quite a while so far as I know. Mark is Shift Operations Chief for my shift - C Shift baby - CJC Fire.

Anyway - Glen, I have never met you but judging by these posts it would be a pleasure if I do. Good luck in retirement and Keep on Jeepin on!
                -Mike B-
                '01 XJ Sport
                '11KK Limited

Comment

Glen, it was you and Wyatt that gave me the confidence not only in myself, but my jeep as well. I only had the chance to wheel with you two times and they were full of fun times. Thank you for the guidance and advice, you will be missed here! Happy retirement Glen, and enjoy the childhood!

Comment

To me, Glen was the face of the club. He was the first person I met as well as one of the first along with Wes to teach me the basics of wheeling after purchasing my first jeep. I'll never forget the kindness displayed to me by him, as I was just a newbie. He treated me as if I were an old wheelin buddy.

I was fortunate to have wheeled with him several times. He lead me places I never thought my jeep could go and gave me the confidence and inspiration to carry on in the world of wheeling.

My favorite memory is at Tuttle creek. Glen and I were one of the first to arrive at the Mcds on I-70. We had a great conversation about wheeling, life and of course Moab. At the park I was in his group and tackled pretty much everything including going down arps hill. My confidence level was at an all-time high as we approached the ledges and was told to have fun for a while. Glen, once again, selflessly stepped out of his jeep and spotted all of us and took pictures. In my daze of confidence, I decided to try a ledge way too big for my jeep. I tried and tried with no success while Glen guided my every move. He finally had to let me down softly by saying, "Not yet big guy, I think you need a little more Jeep."

Thank you so much for the great advice and wisdom over the years. I'm now driving a YJ...because I still wanna be like Glen.

Branon

Comment

Patience. That's the word I think of first when I think of Glen. Even in the most frustrating of times, he never loses his cool, and never gives up. I'm proud to know him, and I hope I get to spend some time with both Glen and Irma in the future.

My favorite memory (I'm fortunate to have had many trips with him) is probably SMORR around 2006. I had my '94 YJ on 35s and locked front/rear. He had the YJ on 36" IROKs. On Sunday he and I went up Bronco Buster and he laid it on its side, but not enough he couldn't drive out of it. He was over so long, there was a fog of smoke around him. He came out of that fog looking like some sort of Jeep God!

Shortly afterward I busted a u-joint and he helped me off the trail and back onto my trailer, not concerned in the least about the unplanned hour later he would be getting home on Sunday.

This is probably one of my favorite humorous memories. I was trying to get the CJ up Zuk Squeeze and when I finally made it...well, who knew he had such agility and quickness!

http://youtu.be/1N6xi779DIo

Glen - I hope you make it back to KC periodically, but more importantly, I also hope you enjoy retirement in Moab! You've certainly earned it!

Comment

this is sad news!!
                        but makes me think of a funny story.
                        My bro in law wheeled with a few of us back when I first joined the club. He is from central Kansas and met us at K Rocks for a couple days of wheelin.
                        Our group was goin up can opener, we were all spotted up from Glen. (as usual)
                        When it got to Jamie, Glen stepped back and told me to do it, as Jamie was my guest and Glen didn't know him. Well after several half *****ed attempts, Glen stepped up to me and told me to tell him he was gonna have to hit it harder to make it.
                        I stepped closer to Jamie, cuz it was a "family event"... and Jamie asked me what Glen said. I told him he said "dont be such as pu$$y"!!
                        He hit it hard then, wheels bouncing off the ground, and made it rite up!!

Hope he's goin back towards Utah, know he loved it out there!!

sure am gonna miss him!!

wait, there was a time bout 3-4 years ago KCJC had a "competition thing" at Paola. Glen and I were the only two jeeps in our big tire class. When I found out I had to go against Glen, I was bout ready to throw in the towell. His rig was a very capable rig, and his knowledge/seat time in it makes me look like some stoopid kid!! (no comment you guys)
                        Anyway after I think 4 different areas we had to go through. I was real sure he had beatin me... but when they were adding up the scores, while he was looking over the scorers sholder I was announced the winner..
                        I still think he was the winner, and in my mind he really was!! and still is!!
                        What makes the story even better. As some of you may know, he loves to take beautiful photos!
                        A couple weeks after the competition, I had a package arrive at my house. I opened it, and there was a beautifully framed collage of several pics of my CJ in the competition against him at Paola that day.

He is just a stellar guy overall!!!!!
                        Last edited by lagnaf; 03-06-2012, 03:56 AM. Reason: another story added

Comment

Here is a pic of glen on a wee tuttle ledge :)
                          It was dureing lunch break at the trip ledges (?)

It was like 3 feet tall! ;)

Maybe taller :)

He was running 38.5s back then ;)
                          Last edited by spunebil; 03-06-2012, 05:35 PM.
                          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Glen, What can I say, YOU are the reason I have the jeep I have today. Thank You for all the support and guidance you have given us all through the years. Have fun.

Comment

Glen and Irma, I wish you both a long and happy retirement.Having ran many trails with Glen and a few with Irma I can only say what great people you are ,it has been a real pleasure knowing you. Glen, thanks for mentoring me along the way and all the help on and off the trails. You will be missed.

Comment

Working...
                              X