No announcement yet.

tj skid plate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 6 on the skid plate and 5 of them are broke loose do you have any idias on how this could have happen?

Comment

the 6 on the skid plate and 5 of them are broke loose do you have any idias on how this could have happen?

Comment

I guess they could have vibrated loose if they weren't properly torqued the last time the skid was off. There's not much else I could think of that'd do it.

I wouldn't worry about what happened too much. I'd be happy I caught it soon and get it tightened back down ASAP.

If it starts happening again... that's when I'd worry :)

Comment

they wont tighten or loosten at all they just spin freeley. that is why i thank that they are striped out.

Comment

Wow. That is impressive. I suppose if you had enough torque them it would do it, otherwise rust. Are you running a t-case skid drop? Might have allowed some sideways torque that hastened the process. I think you are going to have try what Adam suggested. You will need to weld new ones in.

Comment

They probably haven't broken free, but rusted free. I noticed the salt and road gunk building up between the skid and the frame a couple years ago. I pulled the skid, ground down any rust and painted it really well. If that hadn't been done, it would most likely have rusted through by now. The rest of the frame and parts are in great shape with little rusting because the salt can be sprayed off. I would get a nice piece of 2" x 3/16 strip steel and drill it to match the skid plate. Weld some nuts on, then weld it to the bottom of the frame with the nuts inside. Some people box in the whole bottom if it's rusted bad enough. I built a separate cross member and I just leave the skid plate off unless I need it.

Comment

i have the t case drop on it and i cheaked and the nuts in the frame do not have the welds broke on any of them and there is no rust at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 08_2000_tj
                  i have the t case drop on it and i cheaked and the nuts in the frame do not have the welds broke on any of them and there is no rust at all.
                  ????

umm intresting,, when you turn the bolts from the bottom can you see the nuts turning up top??

or are the bolts turning and not going anywhere??

Comment

you turn the bolts from the bottom and the nuts dont spin or anything you can put a allin wrench on them with a 3 or so inch long handle and spin them freeley.

Comment

Um, allen wrench? The t-case skid bolts are more like 3/4 head bolts.

Comment

the bolts in mine are arround a 1/4 head allen bolt. i dont thank that they are factory. because of the t case drop that it has on it.

Comment

It is impossible to say what you have going on without actually seeing the Jeep. The allen head bolts are kind throwing me for a loop. What you are saying is the bolts are spinning free, but the the nuts welded to the frame are NOT torn free. It could be as simple as the wrong size bolts.

Comment

Working...
                          X