No announcement yet.

4.0L engine squealing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I did it and it seems to be working fine now. No noise. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit of a water issue. I've never had the problem before and then I drove it quite a bit and then let it sit outside for a night on top of some ice and such. Inside it is pretty simple, a shaft with a disk on it with notches in the edge of the disk that an instrument reads to check the crank position. everything is all shiny metal, not sure if aluminum or SS but, when i was spraying the WD-40 all over it it drained out a hole in the bottom of the cup this was all in. So, I wouldn't be surprised it some moisture got in there and corroded or just froze up in there and caused the noise. I'll let everyone know if it happens again.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    Tom

Comment

If it does it again get some graphite based lube. It'll last longer than WD-40.

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
        WD-40 stands for water displacement 40th try at it. It only displaces water. Its not a lubricant by any means. It may work as such in short time, but really its not. WD40 can work in an electrical environment but not as 'wet'. Great for drying out disctributor caps.

If this works, I'd see about what is creating the problem. Maybe its in time, enough corrosion sets in on the material (figuring a shaft like that of a distributor and a sensor off that).
        yes it is attempt number 40, but ya forgot to mention its great attributes besides displacing water ;-)

Function
        The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile, viscous oil which remains on the surface, providing lubrication and protection from moisture. This is diluted with a volatile hydrocarbon to give a low viscosity fluid which can be sprayed and thus penetrate crevices. The volatile hydrocarbon then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. A propellant (originally a low-molecular weight hydrocarbon, now carbon dioxide) provides gas pressure in the can to force the liquid through the spray nozzle, then itself diffuses away.
        These properties make the product useful in both home and commercial fields; lubricating and loosening joints and hinges, removing dirt and residue, extricating stuck screws and bolts, and preventing rust are common usages. The product also may be useful in displacing moisture.

so it does lubricate afterall !

I have been using it to clean me rifles , shotguns , pistols and revolvers for over 35 years !
        Last edited by spunebil; 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM.
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

i knew it would work...but it is a temporary fix. it will squeak again. i was afraid to put any other type of lubricant in there that may or may not cause problems to electrical. i just kept the torx bit and a can of wd-40 in glove box.....it always sqeaked away from home! lol
          "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
          Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Working...
          X