4.0L engine squealing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0L engine squealing

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on here for many reasons. But, I'm needing some help with the engine and need to know if anyone has had experience with my problem.

Currently I have a problem with an '06 4.0L I6 engine squeal when I start up the engine and I'm assuming it is really cold out. The squeal sounds like it is coming from under the valve cover just behind the oil fill. It started after I drove it to St. Louis last week Thursday and then it sat out a cold night (normally it stays in a garage). I drove it back on Friday on the way back it made the noise about 5 miles from my parent's house but, stopped after a couple of minutes while I was trying to pull to the side of the road and then trouble shoot where it was. It did it again on Sat. morning for a few seconds and then stopped, and on Sunday and Monday it drove fine with no noise. I just got in it this afternoon and it made the noise long enough for me to pinpoint the area. I've checked the oil level which was ok and it was just changed right before the trip. The oil I use is royal purple and I use what it says to use in the book, 10W-30.

So, has anyone had this happen?

And do you know what this problem might be?

Thanks,

Tom

Its either the serpentine, alternator, or ps. It should go away or much much less as it warms up.

If you hear something towards the back of the engine, it could be the trans pump.

Don't worry about it too much. Be more concerned if it constantly makes the noise in all weather and engine hot/cold conditions.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Thanks Mike, I wasn't too worried because it does stop when it warms up but, wanted to check to make sure it wouldn't be something serious if it continued to do that while it was cold.

My original though was that it was the serpentine or alternator making the noise but, after sticking my ear in different places in the engine compartment it sounded more like near the engine up on top. Then again our ears can play tricks on us and the noise can rattle around in there pretty good and trick you on where it might be. I'll probably try to turn it over this morning since it is cold and see if it does it and then again after I've had the heater on in the garage for a little bit to warm it up.

Thanks for the info!

Tom

Comment

I had a squeek/squeal on my old TJ when it was really cold as well. It turned out to be the rear of the front drive shaft where the 2 joints meet with the "ball joint" in the middle. If that makes any sense. If you search around different forums for "angry sparrows" you will find a bunch of info.

That was my experience anyways, hope it helps somebody.
        2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

Thanks JEEPINKC I've actually already dealt with the 'angry sparrows" issue before I thought they sounded like a "heard of crickets".

I'm going to try to get a picture of the area but, I've found where it is squealing at. Looking from the top passenger side there is a device with a plastic round top right in front of the oil filter, almost touching it, and going down into the bottom of the engine down to the oil pan area. from what i can guess this might be a top of some type of oil pump maybe??? well when I touch the top of this I can feel the friction which matches the noise and when i press down it kind of stops the noise a little.

BTW it has done it both while cold and after I had the heat on in the garage for a few hours to heat everything up in there.

So, can anyone inform me of what this might be since I don't have any manuals on my '06.

Thanks,
          Tom

Comment

Well here is my attempt at attaching the picture of the part in question. It's the round part right in the middle, not sure exactly what it is, some type of pump or something I'm guessing since it takes the power off right there at the alternator.
            Tom
            Attached Files

Comment

thats about where the distributor is on older 4.0'sn (if I remember correctly) so it is probably the base of new style(?) to trigger the coils at plugs / PERHAPS ? altho some engines use a crank trigger to do that.

I am but gueesing as the last 4.0 I had was a 95.
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

It's the cam position sensor. Goes in place of the distributor, and verifies that the cam is in sync with the crank so the valves are in the right position. The distributor systems have the same thing. It reads a metal shaft that rotates, so it could be worn or need some service.

Comment

that sound it likely the serp belt

Comment

i've had 2 idler pulleys make that noise just prior to failing and locking up, then burning up the serpentine belt.
                    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

that canister looking thing used to sqeak on my LJ too...i took the little torx bolts out and sprayed wd-40 in it and it went away.....it doesnt hurt it as its alcohol based and burns off. give it a try...i am certain it will work.....use a good amount of wd-40......and yes it will drip out, but still lube it to stop noise.
                      "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
                      Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Great! That is the fix I'm looking for right now!!! Duct tape, WD40, or JB Weld if necessary...what great inventions.

Comment

post up if works......pretty sure it will.
                          "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."

Comment

WD-40 stands for water displacement 40th try at it. It only displaces water. Its not a lubricant by any means. It may work as such in short time, but really its not. WD40 can work in an electrical environment but not as 'wet'. Great for drying out disctributor caps.

If this works, I'd see about what is creating the problem. Maybe its in time, enough corrosion sets in on the material (figuring a shaft like that of a distributor and a sensor off that).
                            Mike
                            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

its still a quick cure till problem can be fixed......lasted on mine till it sold.....still works for new owner. never changed the way it performed. mine started after a mud bath and driving into a creek.

Comment

Working...
                              X