Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'99 TJ Sputters and dies but only under certain conditions??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPS installed, no dice. Man this thing is driving me nuts.... well I'll say making me nuts because the last thing it does is drive

Comment

I'm guessing torque converter issue. That's going to be my next step, we'll see what happens!

Comment

What, if any, "upgrades" have you made to the Air Box, intake and/or throttle body?

Comment

When I bought it about a year ago, it already had an air rade filter set up and the
          power-aid spacer.

Comment

so it runs fine while in netural and park but sputters out in gear??

once you are running down the road does it smooth out or is it still sputtering??

I ask cause if it was the tourque converter that would mostly be under intinal load when the converter allows more slippage.

how is the pressure on your injectors??
            had that issue with my XJ sea foam and a trip around 435 fixed that.

could your cam have a flat spot?

and ummm
            the fuel tower (sending unit) you put on.
            $150.00?
            so no a jeep part?
            did it come with a new filter/regulator or did you pull the old one out of the stock unit?

when I did my tower my mech said "DO NOT BUY AN AFTER MARKET sending unit" he seemed rather insistant.
            not sure why.
            $375.00 and come to find out all that was wrong with the old one was the fitler/regulator.
            pump is still good.

Comment

It starts up and revs great, once you try to take off it will usually make it a half mile or so then starts cutting out. It chokes several times then totally dies. It will do this for a couple of miles or so then usually drives fine the rest of the way.

It seems worst when it's cold out and then when I'm accelerating or coming to a complete stop.

No codes and when it starts acting up the ECU won't communicate anything with a scanner.

With the injector, cam and several other options. I didn't think that these problems would correct themselves after kind of warming up? Since after messing up for a couple of miles it straightens back up and I can drive it fine. Also with being able to rev it up in park and neutral with great throttle response?

I did change the complete in tank assembly.

When it starts to die, I can throw it in to neutral it runs a lot better and corrects itself.
              A friend is suggesting to start with tracing down the entire wiring harness and also checking every ground.

Thanks for the ideas!
              Bud

Comment

I say check grounds as well. I had a CJ that had a ground strap come off the motor mount and would ground itsell now and then when the engine moved under loads.
                Also check the wiring where it goes around the back of the valve cover between the fire wall. I once had one get the wire insulation rubbed bare on a stud and it was grounding one of the injectors. I discovered the problem accidentally by leaning my hand on the wire loom while looking at something else.
                Also start wiggling wires and connectors while it's running to see if anything changes when you touch it.
                Last edited by JEEPINKC; 01-09-2011, 07:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
                2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I hope to find some downtime to look at the wiring this week.

Thanks,
                  Bud

Comment

Working...
                  X