Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'99 TJ Sputters and dies but only under certain conditions??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know man, Yeah and it was just the dist. cap : ) Thankfully it was only $130 labor! lol They're really good guys though so I'm sure they'll try to make it right when (if) they figure it out. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.

Comment

Well I mean yeah they have to make a living but that's on them... realistically you know that $130 is a super huge ripoff. For the average Joe no biggy considering they probably don't even know what a dist is. But anyway... I digress

So they still have it? Are they able to say anything with certainty? because unless they have a super magic wand that will diagnose that sucka I'd drag her home and just replace everything myself.

Like I had said the other night, my VW was doing a very similar thing (but wouldn't shut off... just shutter, jerk and rpm flicker like mad) and the problem was a cracked coil pack. I might lose the bet but I'd still be willing to bet that this issue is definitely ignition related. Of course without a real scanner (hence the shop) it could be anything from the ECU to the plugs.

Comment

Did you ever actually replace the Crankshaft position sensor? I know we'd talked about it but wasn't sure if you did.

Comment

Originally posted by WJonRubis View Post
          I'd drag her home and just replace everything myself.
          Funny you should say that! That's exactly what I'm going to do : ) Going to try and get it to my Dad's building tonight and let the fun begin!

Comment

I've used a scanner....no codes, replaced the tps, replaced coil wire and dist cap, and replaced the ecm. No improvement at all, I think I'll try the fuel pump next.. Getting really old! : )

Comment

have you checked your compression and your fuel pressure?

Comment

I checked the fuel pressure at idle and it looked good. I haven't checked compression, with it being so sporadic I didn't really consider it? But I'll throw that on the list for today! I think I'll start guessing some more with a new coil, maybe a fuel pump, trying the scanner again and who knows what else. I'm never going to be able to upgrade Jeeps down the road, I'll have too much "invested" in this one! : )

I'm thinking if it's not running by Monday (4 weeks of working on it and sharing a vehicle) it's time for the torch! lol

Comment

i'm thinkin' a cracked head or head gasket might show up in a compression test, but you may need to do a leakdown test on the cyl.'s. try checkin' compression with the motor cold, then again after it's been runnin' and warmed up to operating temp. as the motor warms up, the heat could be causing a small crack to swell...

Comment

check the oil for foaminess, the coolant for oil, exhaust watr, blue smoke, overheating, junked up spark plugs... as well as the fact that it idles fine.
                    I have a leakdown tool you can use to test it too, but if the above isn't happening then a slight compression drop won't cause this.

Check all the plug wires for cracks... ignition... coil packs... MAF Sensor... MAP sensor... Crank Angle Sensor... Camshaft Position Sensor... Throttle Position Sensor...
                    Use a Multimeter to test them all or just trial and error.

I wouldn't write off checking for a major vacuum leak either. Those can be hidden during idle and really get expounded during Load. You can use 5 dollar parts from a plumbing store and an air compressor to check for that (or you can borrow the one I built)

Comment

All sounds good, I'm really hoping the fuel pump does it but we'll see. I would have had it complete today but I'm throwing in the new gas tank skid at the same time. Got the tank in the new skid but one of the stinkin' straps for the gas tank is broke so I'll be looking for something to replace that. On the bright side, the prefilter part on the old pump was completely junked up and had come off the assembly.

Comment

VICTORY!!! (I think) Threw in the fuel pump (and Rokmen skid) tonight and it's running great! So thankful I was able to get it figured out before the holidays : ) Have a Merry CHRISTmas all! Now I might actually get to see you all on the trails : )

Comment

WOW!!!!!
                          That is terrific news!

Comment

STILL not fixed. It ran good for a couple of (warmer) days and then back to it. Man this stinks, it's like a having a second job but I get to pay for the parts instead of getting paid : )
                            Pretty much the same thing, starts up great, revs up fine, once you put it in gear and drive, it cuts out and dies. If it's dying and you throw it in neutral it steadies back out and runs good again. Is there anything transmission related that can affect the way it runs like this?

Here is what I have tried:
                            TPS
                            Dist. Cap & Rotor
                            Coil & Wire
                            Fuel Pump (& Assembly)
                            O2 Sensors
                            Fixed a vacuum leak
                            New ECM
                            CPS
                            ???
                            Last edited by Bud B; 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Crank
                              Position
                              Sensor

Comment

Picking one up tonight! I may be broke but I'll have a new Jeep! : )

Can a jacked up torque converter cause anything like this? (If it's locking up)
                                Last edited by Bud B; 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X