Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt/Gravel/Low maintenance roads

Heys guys, new jeep owner here.

Looking for some nice gravel/dirt/ low maintenance roads around town that i can take the jeep on. My jeep is brand new, but i broke her in good at tuttle creek last week. And now im hooked!

Didnt know what there was around town for some legal roads to putt around on, nothing to serious, just to take the itch off till i can get back down to tuttle creek.

I live in overland park area, (prairie village)

Here is a pic from my tuttle creek trip!

I searched and heard of a road around 223rd and Ridgeview, that road still around?

anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by miraclemax View Post
      Heys guys, new jeep owner here.

Looking for some nice gravel/dirt/ low maintenance roads around town that i can take the jeep on. My jeep is brand new, but i broke her in good at tuttle creek last week. And now im hooked!

Didnt know what there was around town for some legal roads to putt around on, nothing to serious, just to take the itch off till i can get back down to tuttle creek.

I live in overland park area, (prairie village)

Here is a pic from my tuttle creek trip!

I searched and heard of a road around 223rd and Ridgeview, that road still around?
      Welcome to the club. The road on 223rd is not open and has a gate across it now. There are alot of GREAT roads about an hour or so south of us on I35 in the Flint Hills. Several of us do support for the Dirty Kanza bicycle race down there where the majority of the course is gravel roads.

John
      1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Head north my friend. Dependingon how far you want to go you can find great dirt. However most roads I know of are gravel and not a challenge. I'd be happy to take you bird hunting though. I know lots of roads that will make even a Jeep cringe.

Comment

i may take you up on that SpreadEagle!

So where is a good place to begin? some directions would be helpful. I know there are some good roads around here with river crossing ans such, ive seen them posted on line mostly by dual purpose bikers.

Comment

Originally posted by miraclemax View Post
            i may take you up on that SpreadEagle!

So where is a good place to begin? some directions would be helpful. I know there are some good roads around here with river crossing ans such, ive seen them posted on line mostly by dual purpose bikers.
            My cousin is one of those bikers. La Cygne south of here may be a good spot to look. Most of the fair weather roads I remember are north of Leavenworth towards Hwy 36. After a couple inched of rain or a thaw after a snow... Not certain of any for sure locations sorry.
            Last edited by SpreadEagle; 10-01-2013, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the club's forum. Its easy to become a member of the club itself.

As for wheeling, Tuttle Creek is a great place to visit for a day run. Kansas Rocks Recreation Park (KanRocks) (ksrockspark.com) is another. Its actually closer to you in PV. I'm in Lenexa, its 83 miles from my driveway (1.5hrs). Tuttle is little over 2 hrs from same driveway. Tuttle is a free use, open dawn to dusk/7, has trails but they gradually change per use and is managed by Army Corp. KanRocks is a fee use (daily/yearly), open weekends, managed by volunteer group, holds events, and 3 levels of trails mapped out. Their next event coming up quickly is the Creepy Crawl and they are allowing primitive camping off the pakring lot grass area. Don't know if they are allowing night runs.
              SMORR, Seymour, MO (smorr.net) is another great private ORV park. Check out Brandon's website for events, costs, camping, etc. little over 1000ac there to wheel in. Disney, OK is an another great place. Campgrounds are around or look into Roger's Cabins. Rocks galore to wheel on. Many trails in the woods as well.

Don't go out alone. Be prepared, be safe and have fun. Look into JK forums on the internet as well on FB groups in the KC area. KC Jeep club is a club.
              Mike
              Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

If you are looking for the no maintanence, fire service roads, etc. I suggest checking out the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer series. They publish detailed maps of the back roads, and they have a book for each state.
                Bill T.

Comment

They used to be all over when I was young, many even had one lane swaying bridges made of wood and others of rivetted steel ! ...... but most if not all, are gone now ! :(
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

There's an excellent little off-road playground off of Botts road & 150 just north of Belton, MO. I wish I had more detailed directions, but its great for gett'n headlight-deep in soupy mud, testing your flex on the rocks, climbing both mud AND rock hills, & especially great spot for pictures! lemme know if you interested & we'll make a small group event/tailgat out of it! ANYONE else interested, shoot me a PM!

Comment

Is this private property?

Comment

Originally posted by Mud_Dog View Post
                        There's an excellent little off-road playground off of Botts road & 150 just north of Belton, MO. I wish I had more detailed directions, but its great for gett'n headlight-deep in soupy mud, testing your flex on the rocks, climbing both mud AND rock hills, & especially great spot for pictures! lemme know if you interested & we'll make a small group event/tailgat out of it! ANYONE else interested, shoot me a PM!
                        Originally posted by biologygurl View Post
                        Is this private property?
                        I would say any land in that stretch is private. Going by satellite maps on the google it's all combined (that is, you can tell someone runs a combine through it).
                        Last edited by JeepN4kc; 10-28-2013, 05:47 AM.
                        -Mike B-
                        '01 XJ Sport
                        '11KK Limited

Comment

If we don't have permission then I'm out.

Comment

I went to 223rd and ridgeveiw tonight and seen nothing. Anyone know if this is still there?

Comment

Originally posted by Ubetterdont View Post
                              I went to 223rd and ridgeveiw tonight and seen nothing. Anyone know if this is still there?
                              This topic is over 6yrs old. There could be development that has changed a lot in the rural areas. Just note, you can get on google maps and look at all the unmaintained roads to venture on. Farmers use these roads to get from one pasture to another with their farming vehicles.
                              For local wheeling areas, there is nothing other than if you have the passage right by proper land owner. Otherwise, Tuttle Creek ORV, Randolph, KS and Kansas Rocks Recreation Park, Mapleton, KS are the 2 orv parks closets to KC. There is Central Missouri Offroad Park near Columbia that is privately owned and has FB page to announce what day they will be open. Kanrocks is a private orv park as well. THey have a FB page as well as website for information and details. Open every weekend except in Feb. Tuttle is public open access dawn to dusk. It is at the northwest edge of a reservoir and its been over-filled with water till recently.
                              Good luck and TREAD Lightly.
                              Mike
                              Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Working...
                              X