Colorado Snow Bashing 12/3/11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado Snow Bashing 12/3/11

This past Saturday we hooked up with a group to go Snow Wheeling. Wow what a great time, even the clearing of the trail 4 different times from fallen trees. We had very severe high winds about two weeks ago her in the mountains. Luckily one guy had the foresight to bring a chainsaw. The 3rd video has a short segment of the work. I stepped off the trail into waist deep snow. Totally awesome outing, about 7 hours of bashing bliss. We got home just about dark, thankfully our exit of the trail was about 3 miles down the road we live on. At the end of the second video we had lunch at the top of Saxon Mtn elevation 11,000ft. It runs down into Georgetown but if it's not closed it should be this time of year. It is the definition of a "shelf road". We headed back a different way our than we came in. More trail busting then came the fallen trees. After the 4 we came across 5 more that had fallen together. No way to cut through that, we had to turn around to get out by dark and single digit temps. All in all a great day, playing in the snow could possibly be our favorite trail ride. The scenery is outstanding. I hope you enjoy it has much as we did.
    http://youtu.be/5D0gue2jMBI
    http://youtu.be/RG07AsnmzPU
    http://youtu.be/05OrzzP11AI
    The music in 2nd and 3rd is a local KC band.
    sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

thank you for sharing that i enjoyed watching

Comment

Were you running tire chains also?
      Cant tell if the guy in front was running them on all four or just the rear.

Enjoyed watching the vids.
      I think you ran the same trail in the summer and posted a vid.
      Last edited by white 99 tj; 12-09-2011, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Yes I had one set of V-Bar chains-front right and rear left. I'm locked in the rear and almost in the front (this ARB is rubbing me raw) The JK Rubi in front was chained all the way around. This trail system has everything from a 1 Spring gulch to a 6-8 Spring Creek and everything in between. It's located just south of Idaho Springs. In the summer you can make it all the way to Georgetown. Up to our lunch break it was very easy going with just a few slick spots. Coming back out proved more difficult. I would have to say a good small chainsaw is now on my "Stuff for the Jeep list".
        I usually edit a lot of footage in the straight and boring parts, but the scenery was stunning. Especially when the sun came out.
        Here's another link of the same day

http://youtu.be/W6ArmQ6qQ00

Comment

I just loved it and may watch it tonite be for I go to bed to increase my good dreams of snow wheeling. I have always wanted to take my little red jeep and do that. Have trailer will travel!!!
          Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

I have a one of your extra fenders on my little blue jeep, well inner fender anyway. I had to cut away the red for my tube fender. I've done a lot of bragging on your little red TJ since I got here. If you load it up make sure you let me know. I'd love to show you around the area.

Comment

Thinking about a summer trip as we love Winter Park Skiing, but also love Winter Park for mountain Biking. Almost made a trip on the 20th, but this thing called work showed it's ugly head.

Keep me posted on your fun and hopento see you soon
              Alan

Comment

Yeah Skiing I wish, after two surgeries on my left foot. NO SKIING. Until we lived out here I would've never known but autumn is prime time. Late Sept when the Aspens are changing is my favorite (well since skiing is out)
                Were hitting the snow again Sunday, it warmed up considerably here this week. So we're expecting lots more ice this time.
                good hearing from you

take care

Comment

Looks like an awesome time! Thanks for sharing the vids.

Comment

gosh i miss the rockies some fierce...nice vids
                    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
                    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

I'm a newb with a couple newb questions (I didn't see an introduction area sorry if I missed it)

I bought a 96 XJ a few months ago. Came with a Rough Country 3" lift and 31 all terrains. It's my first Jeep but has quickly made me a Jeep fan. That being said, I am considering getting it ready to make a spring break trip out to Colorado around March 17th. Will there be any trails that are accessible around that time? If so will these all terrains be enough or will I need to look at something like mud terrains?

Comment

Drool!!! Wish I could go!

Comment

same here. my buddy wants to do this over spring break, but i highly doubt my jeep will be back together by then...

Comment

Sorry guys, just seen this. All terrains are the "GO TO" winter tire up here. About the only thing better is the Goodyear Duratraks. You could always get a set of chains (one set will do- I ran mine Front right/Rear Left) with chains you'll be able to go just about anywhere. With no more than you'll be using them I would spring for V-Bar Chains (that's what I have) you can get them from
                            http://www.tirechains.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM
                            These are Off Road chains and they are Awesome!
                            What part of CO are you coming to? Here west of Denver most of the technical stuff is closed for the Winter (til June 15th) There is however lots of local roads that can offer an exciting day. Down near Colo Springs and southward they'll be more open. MAIN THING do not go by yourself. Keep me up to date with your plans and I'll watch the various groups for outings while your here. You'll be more than welcome to tag along with us. If they don't have anything we'd be happy to go with you.

Comment

Originally posted by errinjan View Post
                              Sorry guys, just seen this. All terrains are the "GO TO" winter tire up here. About the only thing better is the Goodyear Duratraks. You could always get a set of chains (one set will do- I ran mine Front right/Rear Left) with chains you'll be able to go just about anywhere. With no more than you'll be using them I would spring for V-Bar Chains (that's what I have) you can get them from
                              http://www.tirechains.com/TRUCK-SUV-CHAINS.HTM
                              These are Off Road chains and they are Awesome!
                              What part of CO are you coming to? Here west of Denver most of the technical stuff is closed for the Winter (til June 15th) There is however lots of local roads that can offer an exciting day. Down near Colo Springs and southward they'll be more open. MAIN THING do not go by yourself. Keep me up to date with your plans and I'll watch the various groups for outings while your here. You'll be more than welcome to tag along with us. If they don't have anything we'd be happy to go with you.
                              I am not sure what part we are coming to just yet but it would be around March 17th. Have to get some details worked out. Might actually be moving there around June. Trying to get into law school but will need to establish residency first. As for Colorado Springs I have been on a couple of roads/trail in that area so that's not a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X