Taylor Park, CO 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Park, CO 2011

Went out to Colorado the 2nd week of August for the 12th year of exploring the Rockies. (6th year with Jeeps). Stayed at the Almont Resort in Almont, CO.

Day 1:
    Made a drive to Marble, CO to start the Crystal City Loop

Stopped by the Crystal Mill

Then went up Lead King Basin

Followed by Devils Punch Bowl and Schofield Pass

Returning to Crested Butte, CO

Day 2:
    Went up Tincup Pass and snapped my Upper Control Arm/Trackbar bracket.... Limped the Jeep down the mountain slower than I could have walked the trail. Dropped it off in Gunnison, CO at a local welder for repair

Day 3:
    Picked up the Jeep in Gunnison after eating Mario's Pizza in town

Did an unpopular trail from Ohio City, CO to Pitkin, CO. Took Cumberland Pass to the top and took more un popular trails
    Tincup Gulch

Headed back to Almont, CO, passing Taylor Reservoir

Day 4:
    Took Cement Creek trail out of Crested Butte, CO to Reno Divide

Then we moved down Italian Creek to American Flag Mountain

And took Italian Creek to Taylor Park

We indirectly ran these trail with a couple of sweet CJ's from the KC Jeep Club. Never got any names, but the rigs were nice!!!!

Day 5:
    Started out going up Texas Creek

Did Taylor Pass to Aspen

Took the back way to Aspen

Jeeping down the Aspen Ski area

Saw the only MJ on the trip

Comment

Day 6:
      Drove back to Pitkin, CO to do Hancock Pass

And lastly we went up Mt. Antero

The Jeep drove 12 hours out there, ran 600 miles of trails, then drove 12 more hours back home! The Vanco brakes worked great, the U-Turn performs much better than the stock inverted y steering, the Currie front track bar was quiet, the Griffin radiator kept it at 210 all day and the Moog Ball joints kept it going straight.

Comment

AWESOME writeup and photos!

Comment

Small world. I was there the same week and did a lot of the same trails. It was my first trip out there so I'm not real familiar with the names. I know we did Schofield, Italian Creek, Reno divide, Black bear, Pukipsie(sp?) and some others.
          We probably crossed paths at some point. I had my LJ out for the first time with a black and a white Rubicons

We had a great time. I need to get my pics downloaded still. Loved the Crystal Mill. It makes for cool pics.
          2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            AWESOME writeup and photos!
            Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed!

Originally posted by JEEPINKC View Post
            Small world. I was there the same week and did a lot of the same trails. It was my first trip out there so I'm not real familiar with the names. I know we did Schofield, Italian Creek, Reno divide, Black bear, Pukipsie(sp?) and some others.
            We probably crossed paths at some point. I had my LJ out for the first time with a black and a white Rubicons

We had a great time. I need to get my pics downloaded still. Loved the Crystal Mill. It makes for cool pics.
            Poughkeepsie ;) But we didn't go to Ouray this year. Did you go up or down Poughkeepsie? Up is much more entertaining. Our plan is to go back to that area next year. Schofeild and the Crystal mill were the only trails we have never done before. The mill was quite neat.

Are you the fellow that rebuilt the silver repo LJ on ROF? Did your rig have a 30day tag hanging off the tailgate? If so, I remember passing you and your crew on one of the trails.

Comment

Yep. The repo LJ is mine with the 30 day on it. We went up Poughkeepsie. It was one of the more entertaining trails. I remember seeing the TJ with the K-State tag on it, being a K-Stater myself I thought that was neat to see out on the trails in Colorado. We spent 3 nights in Crested Butte and 3 in Ouray. Loved every minute of it and can't wait to get back next year.
              2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

Very cool! Your rig looks better than a showroom model. I too am a K-Stater, but the only indication of it on my rig is a sticker on the rear bumper. I feel the need to be inconspicuous since I drive through Lawrence quite often.

Comment

Looks like a great trip, we've been staying local for our trail running this summer. I hope to make it down that way next year. I tore a front lower control arm axle bracket loose last weekend myself. Heading out to get the HD Teraflex brackets mounted today.
                  sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Comment

Nice pics! Love the panarama views! Looks like you guys had a great time!

The last time I ran Tincup Pass a couple of years ago, I saw this sitting at the top of the pass.

Wally

Comment

I know a fellow that took a big block GTO up mosquito pass in the 70s. Lots of power and posi can get you everywhere!

With careful tire placement you could get about anything up those passes.

Comment

Sometimes it puts things in perspective to see and hear stories like that. The pics looks like it made for a fantastic wheeling trip!

Wally

Comment

Some of the stuff tou come across out there is surprising. When starting down Antero a guy in a H3 told us an excavator was coming up. Ended up stopping in a switchback to let the machine trek up the narrow trail. Talked with the 'traffic control' guy on an ATV. He said his grandfather has the mineral rights to the mountain and built the 'road' in the 50s. Apparently they extracted a gem worth $1.5 million last year.

Still not sure what is more impressive. Seeing the excavator going up, or the H3 that was most of the way up!

I can't think of a bad trip out to CO. Its always a blast with great company. I would encourage anybody who is thinking about a trip out there to do it!

Comment

This is Jeepers heaven, there is just so much to see. Before we moved out here my mother told me "you'll get tired of those mountains" Never, we love this more than anticipated. Everyday is another postcard. The healthy lifestyle is contagious. We bicycle has much as we Jeep. I would encourage everyone to make the trip.
                            sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Comment

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO so you got to go to colorado this year......BIG DEAL!......................
                              Trevor

Comment

Working...
                              X