CO Wheeling-Saxon Mountain Georgetown Colorado

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO Wheeling-Saxon Mountain Georgetown Colorado

This is probably the roughest non technical trail in Colorado, at least the roughest we've been on. On the traildamage website it's rated a 2-3. I have taken this trail twice now. I quite possibly will never take it again. It is very rocky, choppy, bumpy and a downright miserable ride. But the views are incredible, having run it both directions I would recommend coming down the mountain into Georgetown. You get a much better view of the surrounding scenery. You can access the top by way of several different trails rated from very easy (Spring Gulch-which is long and boring) to downright Nasty (Spring Creek-This is the most interesting by far). There is also Ute Rd (turned out to be every rough also) and Cascade Creek which is probably my choice if I had to go back.
    Here's some video from ascending Saxon,

http://youtu.be/PPsdHmz12Bk
    sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Thanks for the vid,I love a good shelf road..

Comment

Your welcome, the big rocks that fall on the road makes it interesting to say the least. I hear Black Bear Pass is a terrifying shelf road, but the views are spectacular!

Comment

It is on my bucket list,not the wife's list..Maybe 2012 hopefully..I will leave her in town shopping when I go do Black Bear.She read the reviews in the trail guide book.

Comment

I hope to do Red Cone real soon, wife is a little uneasy about it. But she did fine on Saxon which got very narrow in spots. I was more worried about falling rock

Comment

Red Cone and Black Bear are both two of my favorites! Neither trail is all that difficult, I been trying to get my friends to do Iron Chest, an Holy Cross for several years, but they said they were not ready, yet.

Comment

errinjan, what kind of camera did you use? nice, clear video!

Comment

It's a Samsung TL 220 point and shoot camera. Takes great video, I rarely take stills with it. I mount it on Mini Gecko Mount. The camera needs serviced (some dust on the sensor-I hope) black spots in the video upper right hand corner. They're planning a night run over Red cone this weekend, I want to take a run during the day first. I've seen alot of video of Black Bear, it looks awesome. I've heard it's gotten really narrow in spots. Holy Cross looks fun, there's a run coming up for it this month or early next. Iron Chest looks good but it's 3 1/2 hours away. I've sold my tow rig and trailer. We may start going further out next summer but there is so much just right around us.

If heaven isn't like this place-It needs to Move

Comment

Working...
                X