Dusy-Ershim Trail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusy-Ershim Trail

I am thinking about this trail, for a wheeling trip this next year?

It a fairly challanging trail, it would require over night camping, as well as bringing extra fuel. It would be beautiful high Sierras, 1/10 the traffic of the Rubicon but all the beauty and more.

It looks like 33" tires would be the minimum, at least one locker and a few spare parts, decent skids.

http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy...tm#Description

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissue...sy-ershim.html

http://vimeo.com/11395938

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPMXZ9wdl84

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9un9bFFv1jU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgROg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KpDf...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQlZD...eature=related

I am thinking about August 2011 as a time frame. To give us the best oppertunity for the weather to be dry, plenty of time to go over our equipment, work out logistics if necessary.

Wally

Lllloooonnnngggg distance road trip. 2-3 day trip just to get there. Have a nice trip....
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

It would be a great excuse to visit California and probably the best part. :D

This trail is on my bucket list.

Wally

Comment

I am gathering information on this trail.

The trail has been closed in July the last couple of years because of some rare frog. I don't think the FS meant a rare Frenchmen either. :lol: From what I am gathering, the mountaint passes are snowed in til early July anyways. So its looking like an August trip.

I put out a couple of fishing posts on the forums that I frequent and garnerning some interest from some Northern California Toyota guys. I have been invited out in the past, but didn't have a vehicle capible of running the Rubicon or the Dusy. Now that I do, I need to find the time and have a most excellent adventure.

I am in the planning stages of round two on my mild mall crawler build. :D

Wally

Comment

Found this on the net:

http://General Information<br /> Fo...st Difficult."

Comment

Its looking like I will have the 2nd and 3rd weeks off in August. I have recieved some interest from some decent Toyota guys that live in Nor Cal that are willing to guide/ wheel this trail with me, at least at this point. Other than giving me a hard time for wheeling a Jeep now instead of a Toyota. I am not absolutly set on wheeling this trail, but it is on my bucket list. I have two weeks off, and want to make good use of it on an adventure.

Wally

Comment

Been a while since I updated this. I am still planning on wheeling this trail, if its not snowed in. I have the 7th to the 21rst of August off to head out, wheel it and come back.

I am looking to start wheeling it on the 10th or 11th, wheel 4 days, I padded an extra day for break downs and ferrying parts if necessary.

I am still working on seeing whom I can run with? Fresno has a Jeep club, there is a local Fresno 4x4 Four Him (Christian) off road club that has run the trail several times in the last few years, and the Toyota guys. I am fishing to see who, or whom, when and all that.

The other part of this, is that Donner Pass, which is north of the Dusy a few hours, has more snow recorded this year than a looooooooooong time, so the Dusy may be snowed in as well still in early August? Most of the trail is above 8000 feet with a few parts going through passes upwards fo 10,000 feet. LOL bring your diamox. :-)

I think that in order to run it safely, need 3 rigs in good shape, in case one breaks down. One guy local, with a Yota has shown some interest, but not sure the level of committment to run a trail like this?

If anybody has a on board welder, that is portable, 24V preferably, I would be interested in borrowing it. I can leave a deposit or a first child if necessary. Otherwise I will probably end up buying one.

I am starting to amass spare parts.

Its going to be an adventure! :-)

Wally

Comment

Tahoe (Rubicon) has had over 62 feet in one area. Rubicon is about one hour south of Donner.

Squaw Valley, CA - After breaking the highest season snowfall total in its history with an accumulation of 691 inches, officials at California's Squaw Valley USA have formally extended their ski season to May 30, and possibly beyond. And across the lake, officials at Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe will extend their season into May, too.

“With this much snow, Squaw Valley will have great coverage through May 30 and possibly even longer,” said Andy Wirth, Squaw Valley’s Chief Executive Officer. “We will certainly be examining the possibility of opening for July 4, conditions permitting.”

Following May 8, the resort will move to Friday through Sunday operations, offering skiing and riding May 13-16, May 20-22 and May 27-30, 2011. Additional days of operation include Monday, May 16, for the Stage 2 start of the Amgen Tour of California and Monday, May 30, the Memorial Day holiday.

The storms of the past two weeks brought more than 150 inches of fresh powder to Lake Tahoe. With records dating back to 1970, Squaw Valley has surpassed the highest season snowfall total on record of 662 inches set in the 1994-95 winter season. Nearing the 700-inch milestone, the resort has already exceeded its average total of 450 inches. More snow is almost sure to come with two more months until the season end.

Through the end of May, the resort’s famous High Camp Swimming Lagoon & Hot Tub will host pool parties at the top of the mountain as the KT Sundeck hosts an array of live music and DJs for the après ski scene.

“It’s not just the ski season that we’re extending, we’re extending Squaw Valley’s unparalleled spring scene,” noted Wirth.

On the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe, officials at Mt. Rose-Ski Tahoe have extended their resort's ski and snowboard season to May 6. In addition, they will offer two bonus days to season pass holders on May 7 and 8, including a pond skimming event -- no day tickets will be sold either of those days.

Mt. Rose officials are using the two bonus days to promote sales of their Unlimited Spring Pass, good for the remainder of this season and all of next season with no blackout dates that ranges from $431 for adults to $149 for children.

Mt. Rose has logged 523 inches of snow thus far this winter season.
                Last edited by white 99 tj; 04-01-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I am working on a back up wheeling plan. Maybe head south, cross over the Sierras and check out the Cerro Gordo, Darwin area, maybe check out Big Bear, Johnson Valley?

Comment

I lived in Clovis CA until last October. The Dusy is a fun trail but it can turn into a real journey. This trail is very remote. Plan to take 3 days and pack for 6. 4 days makes it a nice trip. Three or four vehicles are a good number. The more you have the more that can break down and slow you down. Good things to have on the rigs are: a welder, spare steel, air compressor some way to power tools if they’re 110. A chain saw and heat exchanger showers are nice to have. I think you need a fire permit for a camp fire, get it at the forest service office in Auberry on your way up the hill.
                    The weather can be nice, hot, snow, or pouring rain, hail, and lighting. There are bears there so follow standard bear protocol with food. The Fresno 4 wheel drive Club opens and closes the trail each year they can tell you when they plan to open it. Check Cal4Wheel.com for their contact info. The closest parts store is NAPA in Shaver Lake and fuel was available in Dinkey Creek, Shaver lake, Huntington lake. You should check it out to be sure. Shaver Lake is the main town on the mountain it’s about 30 miles to the trail head at Courtright Reservoir The trail is 32 miles long and we averaged about 1.3 miles per hour. If you start at Courtright Reservoir the trail brings you out at Kaiser pass above Huntington Lake . If you run the trail this direction the first day is up Thompson Hill. Thompson is about a mile of mostly boulders if you drive smart and have low gears and lockers you should make it without a breakdown. You can check with the forest service to see what they run for radios. In case you need emergency help. The trail is not far from the highway as the crow flies but there is no way to get to it from the trail. Forest service runs a jeep through the trail and will write tickets if you get off the trail. Don’t get off the trail .

Comment

Working...
                    X