Roll Over -- Practice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Over -- Practice?

So the thread on roll overs made me think of this . . . I have (knock on wood) never rolled my jeep, or any vehicle. I have been in spots which caused a lot of puckering, but I don't really know how "close" I was to rolling. Obviously I don't want to roll my jeep in order to learn to feel the balance point, where it is close to going, but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to create a safe practice session where you could measure your balance point.

If you had a ramp, and a secure anchor point, you could set up with a strap to the roll cage, and just drive up the ramp until the high side wheels lifted, and the strap caught you. Then you'd know where that tipping point is, how sideways the horizon looks, when it is getting close.

I dont think that is going to work......when i rolled it was totally unexpected ! I was going down hill (slightly off-camber) at a very slow rate and right rear tyre dropped into a small hole .........before ya knew it we started to roll !
    It was like slow motion but ended up turtled (belly up)

Rolling happens and usually when ya least expect it !

but I wouldnt worry about it.....I know I dont !

been wheeling many times since then (many times in much hairier conditions) !

and havent rolled since !
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

its not a bad idea to try though!
      "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
      Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

It would be fun to watch at the very least!! might even give it a go..LOL

Comment

Nice idea and it has been done before with a simple ramp setup and a tight secured strap. However, you really don't get the same 'feel' in the real world of wheeling. There are a lot of factors that change and it becomes more of a feel from the driver. Weight shift based on the weight in the cab. Obstacles are usually not laid out on flat terrain. Wetness on the obstacle, sun heating the obstacle, tire pressure, tire contact point, ambient air temp, touchiness of the gas pedal from the driver, exact point of contact on the obstacle,....there is a lot to consider.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
            Weight shift based on the weight in the cab.
            What're you tryin' to say? :D

Comment

I think he is trying to say.......that he has BEEN THERE ! ..........:driving:
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I know that's it's fairly straight forward to calculate a Jeep's COG. BUT that doesn't account for all of the inputs like Spune & Mike were suggesting from experience. I wonder if if there is a standard equation for a " reasonable" margin of error? Is x degrees off camber, x degrees incline, or degrees on the X and Y axis gives you an idea of the risk . Obviously this isn't a calculation you making on the fly, instead a precalcated " risk" number . Ie you see X degrees camber, X number degrees of incline/ decline, you know your starting to approach the grey area. Lol Orwell can ask Mr. Safety if it's ok to try the ramp idea out on the Ross center parking lot. :-)

Wally

Comment

I used to have a tilt meter in my Jeep. I no longer as I watched that tilt read over 40* and was concerned over that rather than paying attention to the Jeep and obstacle. I didn't roll it, but once my spotter got my attention again, I drove through it. It was cool and I love to drive offcamber, if you haven't noticed.
                  Mike
                  Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

While I haven't rolled yet, I do know that my pucker factor alarm goes off around 30 degrees off camber.

Comment

Mine goes off when I see the stinger touch the ground. Then I hold on for dear life. :)

Comment

I think there was a group pucker on that one till you held it there (well Jeep held) and we all took a breath. Then we laughed at you, some ran to help others going up to hook up a winch (who knew Big Al was that fast?) and 2 to film it all!! We all played a part in that stunt and all thank you for that bit of entertainment... over all a fun weekend

Comment

Seems to me that when you do roll that most of the time it is uncontrolable and doesn't really matter where the "breakover point is" I think your pucker gives in before that will in a slow motion off camber or wheelie situation. It is usually a surprise or speed that contribute to a rollover in my experience.

Comment

I've never barrel rolled. I've been on my side countless times. My worst event was over backwards in my YJ. I was about 80 feet up a steep dirt climb moving at a walking pace. My front tires had to go over a hump. They didn't come back down. All I could see was blue sky. My Sister-in-Law was riding with me and neither of us had on seat belts. I leaned over and grabbed the outside of her seat with my right hand over her legs to help hold her in. We went straight over backwards and fell about 60 feet before hitting the ground on our top. That put the front of the vehicle downhill. That impact tried to throw me thru the windshield, almost made it, busted windshield with my head and shoulders. We then stood up on our front end and twisted to drivers side downhill. We left the ground again and fell the remaining 20 feet landing flat on the driver's side. I lost my grip on my Sister-in-Law then and she fell on top of me. She ended up with bumps on her shins from her legs flopping around and a couple glass scratches on her right arm. I had glass embedded in my head and shoulders and my legs were bruised pretty bad.

That event changed me. Now I approach any vertical obstacle with a thought out plan for where I'm going to end up when it goes bad. I'm always looking around to see what's in the way of the crash zone. I'm also extremely aware of what all four tires are doing at all times.

As for practice, a part of the training my Soldiers go thru before Deploying is Roll Over Training in a HMMV simulator. They are always surprised at how difficult it becomes to exit the vehicle when it's on it's lid.

Comment

"That event changed me. Now I approach any vertical obstacle with a thought out plan for where I'm going to end up when it goes bad. I'm always looking around to see what's in the way of the crash zone. "

Ditto on that. After a few rollovers ya kinda get used to it though. I just kinda hang on and say a few choice words while rolling. It's kinda like slow motion now days.
                              4x4LAND.com
                              Mike
                              Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Working...
                              X