On Board Fire extinguishers.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Board Fire extinguishers.......

This was posted today over on Jeep Forum. There is some valuable info here and I thought it should be passed on.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=141778&page=1

they may laugh at being in a Jeep and not needing to shake up the extingiuisher, but I talked with a fire marshal about extingiuishers in vehicals and he said its a real good idea to pull them once every two weeks and turn them over to shake them up.

yes the Jeep jumps all around but most people have them mounted in one place so the chemical will get packed down even tighter. Like tamping down the coffiee beans in the jar so the whole bag will fit .

after I talked with him about that I went home and pulled Rosie's extingiuisher and I had to put it upside down and hit it with a hammer to get the chemical to break loose. we had only had the thing in there for a few months. if I would have needed the extingiuisher prior to shaking it up in such a way it would not have worked.

Just a little advice, take it as you will.

Comment

I wonder if it makes a difference if the extinguisher is mounted flat?

Comment

I deal with extinguishers a LOT in my job. We have about 140 in my area. Of these about 20 are hauled on vehicles. For many years we mounted them all laying down with the outlet hose up. (These are mostly cartridge type dry chemical) Then we found that the chemical would pack on the side and not come out - just as bad or worse than standing them up. On a cartridge type the charge goes in at the bottom and is intended to fluff the powder so it "unpacks" itself. When laid on it's side the fluff feature did not work.
        Most of us carry a charged unit so all that does not matter - the only way to loosen the powder is to turn the bottle upside down and bump it on something. If you are going to use a hammer, make it a rubber one - remember it's a pressure container and could go bang if you hit it too hard.
        I have never had a problem with the charged "no hose" small units like we carry in jeeps. With no hose to pack and nitrogen in the bottle - the powder seems to stay pretty loose. All of the problems I have had were with the cartridge operated style with a hose that exits the bottom of the can.

Comment

If you have an unlimited budget just install a Halon system. Put a punch button somewhere you reach it. Run your lines to the driver compartment,engine,and near the fuel tank. Incase of fire just push and hold ya breath, bam no more fire. Wont mess up electronics or get everywhere.
          Travis

Comment

Originally posted by alpinhi
            If you have an unlimited budget just install a Halon system. Put a punch button somewhere you reach it. Run your lines to the driver compartment,engine,and near the fuel tank. Incase of fire just push and hold ya breath, bam no more fire. Wont mess up electronics or get everywhere.
            Travis

I wonder if the Halon system from the Kitchen at work would be enough. it is supposed to be able to fill the whole kitchen with that stuff in about 2 seconds. :twisted:

HUUMMMMMMM wonder if anyone would notice it missing.

Do you think I would (bad pun intended) get Fired for that. :P

surely the Fire Marshal would never notice on his inspections

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

OOOH!! thats a good idea. As a firefighter we do inspections at business all over the city. You can take the system out, just leave the pull station and put a new inspection tag on it every 6 mos. No one will ever know!! :D Unless you had a fire ofcourse :o :o
              Travis

Comment

AWWWWW now you would think a fire could hurt those youths at work or something.

Quite the contrary I would just pile those boys up on the fire and smother it.

:lol:

Ok thats just wrong.

Comment

Although I know this is something that needs to be done periodically, I could not remember when I had fluffed it up last. This post was a Good reminder. So I went out and shook my fire extinguisher and found that it was indeed packed on the bottom. I definitely need to check it more often.

Comment

Originally posted by alpinhi
                    Travis
                    I thought new halon systems were illegal now. Maybe I'm mistaken but they were once used in IT server rooms but you don't see it anymore. Not in a new server room anyways.

Mike

Comment

I believe you are right. I think halon depletes ozone. We used halon in other older plants I worked at. This new plant uses FM 200.

Comment

They are still used im not how much. We have a Halon system in our race car. Most of the other cars at the track are running the same halon system.
                        Travis

Comment

In 1987, an international agreement known as the Montreal Protocol mandated the phaseout of halons in developed countries by the year 2000 and in less-developed countries by 2010. Du Pont announced that it will phaseout worldwide sales of Halon 1301 (CF3Br) by December 31, 1993. The only Halon available now is that recycled - removed from existing systems.

Comment

Originally posted by razorback
                            In 1987, an international agreement known as the Montreal Protocol mandated the phaseout of halons in developed countries by the year 2000 and in less-developed countries by 2010. Du Pont announced that it will phaseout worldwide sales of Halon 1301 (CF3Br) by December 31, 1993. The only Halon available now is that recycled - removed from existing systems.
                            Did not know that :shock: Im gonna have to look into it. :?
                            Travis

Comment

Another good reminder about fire extinguishers. Keep the in fairly easy reach for working on engines weather on the trail or at home (I keep one between the door and driver seat). I was working on my Jeep last night trying to get it started and the airbox caught on fire. Luckily there was plenty of snow to smother the flames because I completely forgot about my extinguisher.

Comment

Working...
                              X