Roll overs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll overs

I fond this information an another site and thought it would be good advice for here.

HOW TO SURVIVE A ROLL OVER

DURING A ROLL
    An unexpected roll can happen so fast that it's over before you can think. But for the times when the pucker factor gives you some advance warning of an impending rollover, a few quick thoughts and actions are in order.

1. Relax. It may only be an E-ticket ride.

2. Don not try to stop a roll by sticking your arm or leg outside - the rig weighs more than you can hold.

3. Jumping out of a perfectly good vehicle is not recommended: usually the vehicle will crush the jumpers. However, a 1000-foot drop into a canyon will usually be fatal anyway, so weigh your options carefully.

4. Close your eyes and mouth to prevent injury from broken glass or the dirt and the trash that will come down from the floor.

5. Hold onto the steering wheel (with your thumbs on the outside in case it spins uncontrollably) or grab bars, but not the roll cage, because it'll pinch off your fingers.

6. Kill the ignition switch as soon as possible to help prevent electrical shorts that could cause a fire. New computer-controlled fuel-injected motors will usually run until oil pressure is lost, which will then turn off the electric fuel pump.

7. Crouch down as low as possible, since roll cages and roofs tend to get compressed during a roll, and your body will stretch, especially with loose seat belts. Human heads do not make good rock bumpers.

8. Hanging upside down or sideways from a seat belt makes for some interesting problems when you're trying to exit. remember which way your body will fall when the belt is released and check for obstructions.

9. Smile. Hopefully it will be fun and you won't suffer any injuries. Now you don't have to worry about the paint any more!

reprinted from PetersenĂ¢s 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine, September 1996

If at all possible read this several times and just think about these things as you are going down the road. Maybe they will be in your sub conscience if and when you need them.

Another tip I would add is that you should always have your gear strapped or tied down, even in an enclosed vehicle, you would be surprised where things can end up, even small projectiles.

And always wear that seat belt. You just never know what is going to happen around the corner, even if you're only going 10 mph.

Good Read

Good article, I would add that if you take passengers with you, especially kids or those unfamiliar with offroading, make sure you go over the basics of what to and not to do for different situations. I can't tell you how many times when out on the trail you will see the passenger putting their arms out the window or door opening when going through difficult sections.

2 cents

Comment

Re: Good Read

Originally posted by Elliott
      Good article, I would add that if you take passengers with you, especially kids or those unfamiliar with offroading, make sure you go over the basics of what to and not to do for different situations. I can't tell you how many times when out on the trail you will see the passenger putting their arms out the window or door opening when going through difficult sections.

2 cents
      this is great advice. i'm new here, and i don't have a jeep. (i registered to browse and learn) we went out on a trail this past weekend and one of the guys we were with rolled his blazer down a hill. he was fine, but the truck is dead. later on in the day, while going up a steep hill, my brother in law (riding shot gun) had his arm casually hanging outside the window. i remembered reading this thread a bit ago and made him pull his arm in. sure enough, right at the top of the hill was a thorny bush that smacked the side of the truck. i realize that it was something small like a thorn bush and not a giant boulder, but the same principles apply. good advice.

Comment

Point number 3 is a scary one to consider. Being crushed by your own vehicle would be a horrible way to go! :shock:

Jumping out of a perfectly good vehicle is not recommended: usually the vehicle will crush the jumpers. However, a 1000-foot drop into a canyon will usually be fatal anyway, so weigh your options carefully.
        kansas city buick

Comment

I12345678910
          Last edited by spunebil; 11-02-2010, 05:21 PM.
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_O_j...eature=related

Comment

Keep you legs in the jeep!.....jodee! Lol
              "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
              Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Did you see the guy driving was ejected in that video??? Here is the slower version that shows it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOwh...eature=related

John
                1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Yea seen it.

Comment

hey I did not flip it did I? and yeah yeah I know

Comment

Good information, and something that the wife and I go over anytime we are doing rough stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X