TJ Tongue Weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ Tongue Weight

All last summer I towed a 5x8 trailer with approximately 1200 lbs and had no problems at 55mph.

This year I'll be towing more like 500 lbs.

I'm contemplating just getting a hitch basket and skipping the trailer to save space.

My rear bumper, hardware and hitch are all upgraded. Is it safe to move all 500 lbs to the tongue?

I've done it before. I hauled a 4.0 in a hitch basket. Probably wouldn't do it for a long time though.

Comment

My trips tend to range from 2-8 hours with that tow. I just wouldn't want a dangerous 55mph ride for 6 hours.

Comment

I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to. It's probably not "unsafe" but it would be uncomfortable at best.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
          I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to. It's probably not "unsafe" but it would be uncomfortable at best.
          Probably sound advice. I as leaning against it from the beginning. I just had this nagging feeling to sell my trailer and empty some space in the third garage. I guess I could just put the trailer on the rear cement pad.

Comment

If the towing weight is going down permanently you could always get one of those harbor freight foldable trailers. I have a buddy with one that he absolutely loves.

Comment

Are you talking about one of these carriers?

If so, I use one to haul my sons dirtbike around on along with some camping gear and have never had an issue with it. I do have a Cherokee and not a TJ though, but I don't see where hauling a few hundred pounds off of the hitch would be that big of a deal and most of these are rated for 500lbs.

John
              1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

The only issue I see is the weight on the back end of the Jeep. 500# of weight is like pulling a 5,000# load with a trailer (10% tongue weight). Will 500# make the jeep steering "squirly"? If you've hauled 1200# with a trailer, you probably only had 100-200# of tongue weight on the tail of the Jeep, I'd guess....

You could try it and see. Borrow one of the racks from someone, load it up, and see how it feels. If not, you could go back to the trailer.

Comment

If you dont have a trailer, ya dont have a tounge weight to begin with ! ;)
                  But useing a hitch mounted carryall, you will have sagging , which could affect stearing and brakeing ! ;)
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I changed my mind and decided to stick with the trailer. I takes a bit too much space but I'll just put it out back on the cement pad next winter instead of the garage. Here's my small setup

Comment

Working...
                    X