2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel question

I have a 2003 6.0 Diesel and on cold days like today (20s) I just can't get it started. Seems like I always kill the battery trying to do so without starting. I'm going to try and plug it in about one hour prior to starting, but just think it's not that cold yet to cause these issues.

Currently have Two new 850 CCA batteries very nice condition terminal ends. What else can I do to improve cold starting as I want to bring it to Colorado and have it start.

Any diesel ideas to improve cold weather starting on the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke much appreciated.

block heater?

Comment

My 2006 F350 6.0 has a block heater. Yours probably does too since IH, who made the engines, installed them in every engine even if Ford didn't include the cord. Reach in the passenger side opening where your tow hook is and feel around, chances are there will be a cord tied up in there that is your block heater cord.
      "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

Check your FICM (fuel injector control module) for low voltage. There is a procedure on line to do it. Check your glow plugs and relay (IIRC).

Check with powerstroke, powerstrokenation for better info. Its been a while since I had issues with mine.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I have a block heater and will plug it in tonight. It just doesn't seem that cold outside to require it. I just never had a diesel over the winter as I have other diesels and rarely needed to plug them in on cars.

Comment

i set my truck on a heavy duty timer to start heating the block about an hour before i need to leave, my gm manual says to plug it in for 4 hours. on a diesel i'd plug it in for longer than an hour, but i have a limited knowledge about them.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
              Check your FICM (fuel injector control module) for low voltage. There is a procedure on line to do it. Check your glow plugs and relay (IIRC).

Check with powerstroke, powerstrokenation for better info. Its been a while since I had issues with mine.
              Mike I think you are on to my problem as I am wondering if it is either the FICM or maybe a or more then one bad glow plug

Comment

I would say anything below about 40* and it should be plugged in. At work we start plugging in around November and don't stop till April. Cold is relative, if you have batteries that are weak at all, trying to start a stone cold engine in these temps will kill them.

If its got a heater, use it. It's been in the single digits in the mornings, and today it was only 17, how cold do you think it needs to be to need a heater...just curious?

Comment

Silly Ford's...My Cummins has a block heater and it's never been needed. It's always fired right up, even below zero and covered in snow.

Comment

93WHY-J I was thinking in the low 20s is when I would plug in the block heater.

I have two new batteries made for the Diesel 1000/850CCA but I started thinking about a pattern of it's non start days as I don't drive it every day. It seems when I let it sit for two plus days un-started that's when i have problems. When i did get it started a few days ago I drove it for several hours and the batteries were good and charged. The next morning I did not plug the heater in and thought I would try to start it as the temp was 17 degrees outside and it fired right up.

I parked it last night and waited until 7pm tonight (just over 24hrs without running) and popped the hood and checked the battery voltage while cold. The drivers side battery was in the mid eleven volts and the passenger side battery was in the low 12 volts. I did check the batteries voltage the night prior after sitting and both batteries were in mid twelve volts. Thinking if I dropped that low in 24 hours what would my volts be if I let it sit for 48 plus hours.

I know that was long, but I have a lot of accessories (In dash DVD, alarm etc) and wonder if I have too much of a power draw for memory of theses devices when the vehicle is off. Hope that makes sense. I also checked my volts when I tried to start it when cold and the battery went down to 9 volts (when cranking it over with starter) and then the voltage went slowly back up to 13 plus volts when running.

I'm thinking I may have a current draw and may need to start pulling fuses to find where its drawing current from. Downside for having way too many gadgets that use power i guess. I am also wondering if my Bullydog that plugs into my OBD could be drawing power when the vehicle off.
                    Last edited by alanc; 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM. Reason: Without running

Comment

You a small dead short drawing current somewhere.

Another issue you might want to have a Ford Scanner put on to check is oil rail pressure. The 6.0s (especially when cold) have a tendency to lose oil pressure on cranking. There is an updated part that fixes this issue, but you have to pull the valve covers to replace them.

With your voltage readings though, I'd start with the draw somewhere in the system. Low voltage is a no no on 6.0s.

Comment

Take it from a guys that has had 6.0's with the same problem. Start by getting your FICM checked right away. A bad ficm will cause this problem and will quickly ruin your injectors. Swap your oil in the winter to a 5w40 that will help out a lot more then you could imagine. Hope this helps. There is a guy on ebay that is located just 30 minutes from me that rebuilds FICM'S and he does a great job for 25% of what a new ficm cost.

Comment

Working...
                        X