F-150 Twin Turbo V6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-150 Twin Turbo V6

I've been doing some research and it looks like the new F-150 Ecoboost truck is potentially badass for the purpose of DD and tow rig.

Quick stated specs:

365 hp @5500 rpm, 420 lb·ft @2500 rpm, 90% torque @1700-5000 rpm

Fuel economy on reg unleaded 14city/21hwy with 4WD and tow package

Tow capacity over 11,000lbs

Price is around $40K brand new depending on trim level of course.

Being an obvious fan of forced induction, I'm in love with that truck. However, I read a review in Fourwheeler (I think) that said the new 5.0 was better for a Midwest DD/Tow Rig. Can't remember exactly why, but it seemed related to loaded fuel economy and lack of mountainous terrain.

Comment

From what I can tell the Ecoboost gets around 10 MPG avg towing anything over 3000lbs, but usually so do turbo diesel trucks. And out of 50 or so consumer reviews I have read dating back to last year 99% of owners love this truck because of the power and the 20+ MPG avg city/hwy combo gas mileage.

Comment

It's quite possible I will have one of these in a weeks time.

Comment

My experience, I've towed with my F350 crew (6.0l diesel) with my Jeep most of the time now. I get 11 or so towing. Around town, I get 13-14. Fellow wheelers towing similar trailer and Jeep weight, 07 Suburban (6.0l gas) gets 7-8, 11 F150 crew (5.0l) 9.7, Dodge Hemi 9. I pay $.50 or more a gallon for diesel.
          I'm weighing about trading in the F350 and the JK to get something as a dd and toter. SUV would work well for me rather than a truck. But I wouldn't put a truck around. But I really can't see a new vehicle as a replacement. Something in the 3-4 yrs and under 80k or so would work for me.
          Last edited by jagular7; 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

My 07 Suburban is a 3/4 ton and gets 9-9.5 towing, and 10.5-11.5 normally, depending on how much city driving I'm doing.

We picked it up when it was 2 years old for about $35k. Drives great, pulls great. Don't even know the Jeep is back there most of the time.

Comment

FWIW, our 2010 F-150 5.4 with 3.73 gears gets 11-12.5mpg towing about 5k at 75mph. We get down around 11 west of Denver, upwards of 12.5 accross the flats of Kansas. As far as every day driving, we get about 14-15mpg in town, 17sh mpg on the highway not towing.

Wally

Comment

newer you get the worst towing MPG you get. 90's to early 2000's get the best MPG. my 96 7.3 ford powerstroke would get about 16 mpg pulling it i kept if under 70. my 1998 5.9 dodge gets 15-17 towing but haven't pulled enough to know details. gets about 20 MPG with no load. my last tank was 1/3 towing 450 miles and only 22 gal. of diesel. you do the math.... I know people getting 9-11MPG with the newer eco friendly diesel. it doesn't make since to me.
                my dad's 94 ford diesel gets 16mpg if under 65mpg unloaded. speed kills with the big bricks but he has 4.10 and small tires. I have oversized tires and 3.55 gears It's about using low end torque to keep MPG up. a lot of newer trucks advertise a lot of power but if it's not at the range you drive at down the highway it's of no use in my mind.

just my .02, but I am a young old school type

Comment

Yeah it's funny. The eco boost has more power and better fuel economy than the 5.0, but I personally know some one that went with the V8 cause by god a truck should have a V8! LOL

My 07.5 Dodge diesel got 9 mpg towing 15k down to Disney last weekend and around 18mpg with 5 people and a bed full driving the long way to Vegas a year ago.

Comment

i have a 02 7.3 turbo powerstroke f250 4wd ext cab. nice truck. I am currently running superchips on "tow safe" mode and get 16.7 on average around town/short highway (back and forth to work). I will get anywhere from 12-14 towing 18ft dovetail with the jeep on it. If I keep the speed reasonable. With a quick reprogram and running in "tow performance" mode (the middle setting). I will get 17.3 running around town average and that is getting on it a bit :). oh yeah, I'm also a manual 6speed which may help a little. Never really checked milage running on "performance" mode but don't seem to be too different if I keep my foot out of it (hard to do :) ). I have an edge juice with attitude for it not yet hooked up but it allows for dynamic changing on the fly. I am anxious to see the difference. BTW I have been known to tow at 80 mph if needed :)...

Comment

I'll throw in my .02 I suppose on my tow situation. I have a 97' F-150 w/4.6L V-8 and auto, 200k miles. I get 10-11 loaded with the XJ on the trailer and 16 without a load. It towed out to Disney from Abilene which is a 550 mile round trip and it pulled fine, even with some of the steeper hills along with way. I imagine that story would change if I headed into Colorado, lol

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone...

I'm wanting to pull a GN big enough for 2 rigs which would put me over the legal GCVW for the ecoboost, so I'm affraid it's out.

I'm going to look at a 2002 F350 single axle 7.3L w/ 123K miles tonight. The owner claims 16city/21hwy/14 Loaded

This will be my DD and tow rig but I only drive about 40 miles a day so I don't think fuel will totally kill me...I hope.

Comment

I'm wanting to rid of the 6.0l diesel 05 Crew. About the only critical item left to do on it are the head bolts. Got egr and cat deletes, tunes, by-pass filters for coolant and oil. Give a great price on it. With estimated $3k to do the head bolts, still be less than trade.
                          Mike
                          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

There is a discussion on a 4bangerjp forum about the very same thing. There was a post with this torque curves

Last edited by jagular7; 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM.
                            Mike
                            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by J.E.E.P.E.R. View Post
                              Thanks for the input everyone...

I'm wanting to pull a GN big enough for 2 rigs which would put me over the legal GCVW for the ecoboost, so I'm affraid it's out.

I'm going to look at a 2002 F350 single axle 7.3L w/ 123K miles tonight. The owner claims 16city/21hwy/14 Loaded

This will be my DD and tow rig but I only drive about 40 miles a day so I don't think fuel will totally kill me...I hope.
                              my dad had an 02 at one point and would get around 20 mpg if he didn't speed. he wishes he would have kept this truck but payments just were not in the cards years ago. the 99-02/03 are the best years for ford in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                              X