How to use a tow bar??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use a tow bar??

I guess I won't be able to afford a trailer for a while, but I have acquired one of those rigs to hook up to the bumper and pull the jeep like a trailer. I was wondering if anyone has used one of these and if they could tell me exactly how to use it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have one and have used it before. I found directions on the internet somewhere, but can't remember where. Do a google search for "flat towing" and something should come up that is useful.

This is what I did, but I can't guarantee it's the right way. It worked for me just fine though.

Tranny in neutral, Tcase in neutral, hubs unlocked, key turned to the "unlocked" position. This way the front wheels will follow the tow vehicle.

Some say you should detatch the driveshafts, but I was too lazy to do it. The idea is to prevent the drivetrain from becoming engaged and turning the engine. You can guess what happens when that occurs.

Whatever you do, don't try to reverse with the towed vehicle attached. It's a real pain because the front tires turn and the whole deal gets bunched up really fast.

Also, make sure your alignment on the towed vehicle is good. Mine was not and I chewed through the front 35" BFG MTs in just one trip to Disney. You're basically dragging it down the road, so if the tires aren't facing the right direction, they get worn pretty fast.

Comment

Working...
    X