tow rigs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tow rigs

well i am going to get a 81 chevy 3/4 ton 2wheel drive. it has a 300 horse small block 400 turbo w/ tranny cooler and a 14 bolt rear end. i was mainly getting it so i dont get wet when it rains but figured it would be an ok tow rig tell i can afford a diesel payment and at a whopping 750 bucks it will be paid for. the bed is beat up and has normal cab wear. has any towed with a simalar vehicle i know the gas mileage will suck.

8 foot bed or six foot?

should be fine with a rig that big but better with the longer of the two.
    I used to tow with an 86 f150 (8foot bed) did great except it only had the I6 in it.(not enough hwy power) but I had no trouble keeping the load under control even when I towed an 85 lincon town car. darn thing weighed more than my truck.

M.A.

Comment

its the 8 foot bed i have talked to couple buddys and think the gas mileage wont go down that much because of the drive train and how light my jeep is..

Comment

with all that power you won't notice the on the trailer much but your gas milage will be low from the get go.

7-14 mpg depending on how heavy your foot gets.

Comment

well the jeep only gets 12 plus i would rather wear out the truck tires then my 35's

Comment

When I had the 74 C10 long bed it towed OK 454/th400 9-10mpg empty/6-7mpg when towing. The 3/4 ton should be better, the longer your wheelbase the better for towing. $750 is hard to pass up even if you just use it as a DD.

Comment

my thoughts exactly

Comment

Working...
              X