What to buy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy?

I'm looking at buying a truck in the next 1 to 12 months. It has to be used, 4 door, and probably not more than $10k.

Given my budget, I'm looking at a 97-00 diesel powered truck. My question is fuel mileage and maintenance costs. Having never owned a diesel before, but been around plenty, I think oil changes and regular maintenance is substantially more than a gas engine. I also know that the newer diesels get mileage in the 15-20mpg range while towing, but am not sure of those 5-10 years old. Here's the engines I've seen so far in my budget.

Chevy: 6.5L Turbo Diesel
    Ford: 7.3L PowerStroke
    Dodge: 5.9L Cummins (12 valve)

Since the diesel craze didn't really hit until 2000 and later, I'm unsure about the power/economy of these engines.

I'd be towing my YJ (3600lbs?) on a typical double axle trailer.

My other considerations are small block V8s. I know these engines well, and it would be a daily driver so that my be my best bet. I figure with the normal small block I would get 15-18mpg average unloaded, but in the 10-11 mpg range towing. Since I'd only tow a few times a year, maybe that's the best plan. However, the durability of a diesel is intriguing and makes it less concerning to buy a truck with 100k on the ticker.

Thoughts?

I just bought a 96 f-250 extended cab Powerstroke 2wd 5-speed 3.55 rear end for 8500 with 95k on it. It gets 15-16 pulling 18 around town and will at what ever speed you want. I just towed a 24' trailer with a full size truck and it, kept 75 with out struggling. Maintaniance is more but it is less often. With out owning it that long it is had to say if it will even out in the long run or not. Someone else might know that better than I will, but I bet it does, and resale is a lot better even once it has high miles just look at what they are going for. I think it is quieter going down the road that the newer ones (2000-2003) my dad had a 01 super duty and has sold it and looking for an older one like I have due to the fact that it rides better and feels just as strong if not stronger. Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Comment

Tommy,

You might check out www.turbodieselregistry.com for information on the older Dodge's. One thing, people love 'em. I would stay away from the older Chevy diesels, they seem to be very unreliable, not very powerful and not as efficient.

For what is worth, my 97 Dodge Ram with the 5.9 gas engine pulled my Mustang incredibly well. Until my currnet Dodge, that was the best pulling truck I have had.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far. I've actually been on the TDR site in my research, and it seems to be a pretty decent resource.

The older Chevy diesels is exactly why I'm asking the question. I know the 6.2L is pretty much worthless, at least that's what everything I see indicates. However, I don't know about the 6.5L. It appears to be better than the 6.2L, but I still don't know much about it.

What kind of mileage did you get in the '97 Dodge? How many miles did you put on it, and what type of maintenance issues did you have?

Keep the opinions/info coming.

Comment

I love Fords but, from what I hear the older ford diesels have reral bad tranny troubles. if you can get one that is a stick that would be the way to go.
          beyound that I know very little.

Just my opnion.

Matt A.

Comment

My 97 Ram had about 60K when I traded it. Never had any mechanical issue. I got about 13mpg for the first few thousand miles, then about 15 until 25K and then it started to 17-18 regularly. Would still get 14-15 towing my boat, and about 12-14 with the Mustang on a trailer. Towed great, tons of low end torque, loved the truck. The only issue I ever had with it was I had to fold one mirror (the driver side) in to get it in the garage. After a few years the bushing inside the fold mechanism gave way and they replaced it under warranty. It had gone bad again just before I traded it.

Comment

Tommy,

In April I purchased a '98 C3500 Crewcab 6.5 turbo auto SRW, with 85K for $10,250 to be my DD.

I didn't care if it was a dog compared to the Ford or Dodge because I am not going to ever push the limits of its towing capacity and it tows the Jeep and trailer easy enough. I am getting 16-18 mpg and it didn't seem to drop much when towing but I only have a trip to Paola and one to Tuttle while towing.

Barry

Comment

I used to tow for Kidds tow and recovery. We had a ford with the power stroke and a dodge with the Cummings. I preferred the dodge while towing. It had strong low end torque, but only red lined at 3 grand. That figures about 75 to 80 tops on the highway, depending on your gearing. The power stroke had better top end and did well on the highways casually cruising. We had a lot of mechanical problems with the power stroke although. He ended up getting rid of it in the end. But that's one truck out of a million. I do know they have two versions of the Cummings as well, one is a high output, never driven it, but seen em. One last thing, they have killer power chips out for diesels, I hear you can get up to 100 more ponies and around 90 in torque on the power stroke and similar figures for the Cummings. As far as the Chevy's..don't really know, but I do hear the Allis tranny's in them are a weak link. Hope this helps some.

Comment

I'm probably only looking at similar trips as what you've done Barry. I will probably throw one long trip a year in there, maybe Moab or Colorado. How comfortable are the crew cab's back seats? They look just like a suburban or tahoe, but pics can be deceiving. I would rather have a crew because the extended cabs aren't as comfortable for long trips. My dad had a '91 and the back seat sat almost straight up. Ok for a few miles, but over 20 and it got old fast.

Comment

Shane, where did you hear the Allis are weak? They are really strong for a auto.

Comment

Some people say that about the Allison transmission because if the compueter senses an overload situation it will shut down the whole system and go into 'limp home' mode.

Comment

Tommy if you are looking for information about older GM diesels check do a web search for The Diesel Place.

Comment

I haven't ridden in the back seat but they seem comfortable and plenty of room for tall or big adults, five people will fit for errands four for trips. Like Matthew said dieselplace.com is a nice resource.

Comment

The last trip we took in the 97 was to Colorado to go skiing, 6 adults split between the Ram and a GMC Jimmy. Everyone who was in rotation for back seat prefferred the Ram. Must not have been too uncomfortable.

Comment

I heard it from two sources, one was from Meyer trucks ( the specialize in tow rigs) in Olathe and the other was from State line tractor. To be honest I don't remember what was said about the auto, just that they've had to service several of them. For what, I couldn't tell ya. Wish I could tell you more.

Comment

Working...
                              X