flat tow question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat tow question

so I am getting ready to flat tow my tj behind a u haul. would I be ok to drill into the stock bumper and mount the bar to the bumper? since the fron of the frame is open. or do I need to drill into the crossmember in the front of the frame? oh btw do I need to take the drive shafts out or can I just put the tcase in nuetral and trans in gear. its a five speed

not sure about the bumper/frame drilling.................but to flat tow, place transercase in nuetral and transmission in gear (It never specified gear), so first should be just fine !

I towed my XJ like that and trans was in park (auto) while T/C was in nuetral ! No problemo !
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

if you were to drill into the bumper for those mounts i'd suggest backing plates to spread out the load more evenly along the bumper.

Comment

I don't have an opinion on the bumper mount, but if it were me I would take the 15 minutes to pull the driveshafts just in case.

Comment

Not sure what kind of tow bar you've got. The best place to fasten is to remove the tow hooks and use those four holes. If you can't do that then thru the bumper will work. Depending on how many bolt holes you'll have you might want to plate behind them or use large washers.

As for the driveshafts. Unhook them at the axle ends and fasten them securely out of the way. Then it doesn't matter what you do with the T-case and/or Transmission gear selector.

Comment

I have flat towed my TJ that way for years to Moab west,Wisconsin north,Texas south and east to Virginia.I have drill holes in the front of the bumper but had to replace it a few years ago due to stress cracks spidering out from the drill holes..

Comment

this is onlymaking one trip to tennesse and thats it bt I think Ill make some backing plates

Comment

since you have a 5 speed it is recommended by Jeep that you flat tow with the t-case in Neutral and the transmission in either 4th or 5th. The steering column should also be unlocked. There is absolutely no need to remove drive shafts or disconnect them. If you don't have a tow bar yet you can get one cheap from Harbor Freight here in town or I have one that I'll sell you dirt cheap. Its the Harbor Freight model and never been used. (I picked up a diesel truck for a song so I'll buy a trailer instead) If you want the tow bar feel free to call me at 913 two zero five 4269 Nick

Comment

Working...
                X