which sounds smarter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which sounds smarter?

i have a 1 ton pick up and a 16ft trailer... should i put my cherokee on the trailer and tow my buddys TJ behind with a tow bar behind the trailer, or put his front 2 wheels on back of trailer and let back 2 wheels tow behind trailer...

Borrow an appropriate length trailer...

Comment

oh hidden option number 3, good call.... you got one?

Comment

When towing, any weight, get proper sized pull vehicle, proper sized functioning trailer, and properly strap down the vehicles. Nothing is worse when a load lets go without control....
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

How far? Could you take one and then the other?

Comment

yeah, don't do either

Comment

I tried to find some info on the legality of double towing in Missouri. I wasn't able to find it addressed? In other states there are a variety of rules. For instance in California double towing can only occur behind a semi sized truck, a 1 ton isn't big enough. In other states, "if" the trailer was enclosed had brakes on both axles of the trailer, then it was legal, provided the truck that was towing had large enough GVW plates.

What I know from talking with people that work at the commercial weigh stations is that most of the time, noncommercial trucks are left alone, EXCEPT if the load looks hokey. For instance, a friend pulled a Ford Ranger over on I-29 for towing a dump truck. Obviously the Ranger didn't have 24K+ plates AND failed a safety inspection. My bet is towing a Jeep on a trailer with another Jeep in tow would draw attention of the LEOs.

Besides the safety issue at speed with two trailer type set up, what happens if you need to back up? I see double jack knife occuring.

Be safe,

Wally

Comment

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Here's a page that lists the laws for each state.

And double towing is allowed in California, but the first trailer has to a fifth wheel.

There are tons of people that pull doubles all around the country and do so without any problems. You just have to be smart on how its loaded and the effects another trailer will have on the first trailer. Yeah you can't back up (although it is possible) as easy so you just have to think ahead and plan for it.

Comment

Originally posted by diabloed View Post
                  http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Here's a page that lists the laws for each state.

And double towing is allowed in California, but the first trailer has to a fifth wheel.

There are tons of people that pull doubles all around the country and do so without any problems. You just have to be smart on how its loaded and the effects another trailer will have on the first trailer. Yeah you can't back up (although it is possible) as easy so you just have to think ahead and plan for it.
                  I would be willing to BET and say that 99% of the yellow freight, CF drivers and other drivers with companies that haul doubles would disagree on the backing up chances while pulling doubles ! :-)
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                    I would be willing to BET and say that 99% of the yellow freight, CF drivers and other drivers with companies that haul doubles would disagree on the backing up chances while pulling doubles ! :-)
                    I've seen it done (fifth wheel camper and a horse trailer) and I'm sure with some practice and in the right situation I could do it too...

I'm actually looking to get a small trailer that I could pull my Jeep behind our 34' camper. Like I said...If done right I wouldn't have a problem pulling a set up like that anywhere.

Comment

well with just two pivot points it might be possible, but trucks that haul doubles have three pivot points ! :-)

so it is like 200 times harder to do ! ;-)
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                        well with just two pivot points it might be possible, but trucks that haul doubles have three pivot points ! :-)

so it is like 200 times harder to do ! ;-)
                        Apples to Oranges ;)

So

Comment

LOL

I have backed up with two swivel points but with three it is near impossible to get all three going the way you want then too !

But it is entertaining to sit and watch someone try to do it (like at a truckstop) because they turned before looking at what was ahead of them ! LOL)
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

If you decide to pull a trailer with a Jeep on it and flat tow or dolly tow another Jeep behind the trailer, does the second Jeep on the dolly count against your GVWR for the truck pulling the load?

Comment

I asked this question to both a trailer company and Highway Patrol officer. I was using my Ford Excursion Diesel as an example for my tow rig. They said that pulling a car trailer/camper behind the the tow vehicle and then towing another vehicle behind it would send up red flags and it is not acceptable unless my tow rig was a 5th wheel setup. I said I've seen someone pulling a jet ski behind a trailer and they said it's not right, but may let it slide and driver beware.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X