Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the market for a trailer. QUESTIONS!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the market for a trailer. QUESTIONS!!

Hey guys I'm in the market to buy a trailer to haul the jeep. That is pretty much all that I will be hauling on it. Since I am still new to this 4 wheel thing as opposed to 2 wheels, what do I need to be looking for? Wood or steel deck? 3500lb axles or 5200lb? Dovetail or no? 2in coupler or 2 5/16?16' or 18'?

And what are good pRices and places to buy them and brands?

I will be pulling it with my 2008 chevy 2500 HD with the 6.0 gas motor.

Thanks for any input!

Travis

I dont know what would be good for you, but I am wanting a light 16 foot trailer with twin 3500 pound axles. It will have a wood deck that is also incorporated into the design to support weight of jeep, thus allowing less steel to be used (lower trailer weight) I designed this a couple of years ago, just havent had the funds to build it yet ! ;-)

at 16 foot, I can still have a pickup truck tool box mounted on nose (of flatbed, first two feet for tool box, the other 14 feet for jeep) for spare parts and i do not want nor need a dove tail !
    Last edited by spunebil; 11-27-2010, 04:46 PM.
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Mine is a 18' dovetail steel deck. It has 3500 axles and brakes on both axles. Mine is a Maxey and I got it at Truck Trailer and Hitch in Grandview. I'm very happy with mine. Mine has a 2" ball.

Comment

Travis, to keep it cheap for you, I would look for a minimum 18' +dovetail auto trailer. Stay away from utility type trailers. The frame is angle iron and even though its capable to carry the weight, they do flex while driving on the road. Dovetail is nice to be able to drive on the trailer rather than to pull out ramps. 2" or 2-5/16" ball, wouldn't really matter, but figure, 2-5/16 is for heavier weight towing capacity. wood vs metal deck, the wood has its place when working on the vehicle on the trailer, whereas metal would be temperature dependant. I would look for the 3500# axles both with brakes is better than just one, 225/75-15 tires size for the higher load rating (D rather than C). Going bigger is helpful but you have to do it for the right price. Other important factors to consider - load/strap secure mounts, rub rail, strong fenders, rear stabilizers (rotating stabilizers to minimize trailer tongue movement when you drive up on it), cargo carrier location, spare tire mount location.

I bought a used 2003 18'+2' dovetail, 2", 3500# axles (1 brake), 205/75-15 (LR C), probably traveled less than 250 miles in its time little short of 2 yrs ago. I've been using it on every trip I take now for 1.5 yrs. It showed its weakness on a loan-out in Texas. It blew an outer bearing and destroyed a hub and the tires burned up fast. They were bias ply and that probably had a lot to do with it along with the 150* concrete. I've since upgraded to 5200#s (brakes on both) and 225/75-15 radial trailer tires. I carry a truck box on the front to store the strappings and Jeep spare parts, since I mostly wheel now at ORV parks. Having a trailer carrying parts is easy accessible.
        I just now have to get my toter's trailer brake system to work.....
        Last edited by jagular7; 11-27-2010, 05:56 PM.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

bout a year ago I bought mine. 16+2 dove tail. 5200# axles with brakes on both. Reason for goin with the 5200, was larger bearings on those axles. Also came with heavier rated tires. Def. wanted brakes on both axles, rather have them and not need them, than not have them and NEED them!!!!! Better safe than sorry!Don't want to wreck your junk, or hurt someone!!

Besides if you figure what your junk weighs, then add tools, spare parts, plus the weight of the trailer. You'll be getting close to maxing a lighter weight trailer.

I found mine on craigslist from a dealer south of Jeff City. You mite try Eagle Trailer in Lawrence too, they had descent prices.

Dan

Comment

You guys wanna give prices so readers know what's a fair price??

And in your case Mike, what you gave for trailer and what it cost you to rebuild it to get where you wanted to be??

Comment

I pd $1650 for a 5 yr old trailer that saw 250 miles on the road, stored in metal shed with rock base. Put another $1000 over 1.5 yrs later to get it where it is today. Buy a new one I looked into but didn't look too hard. Buddy wanted to sell his axles (upgrade for him as well but he sold his flatbed bumper pull for a custom goose flat deck). These were new and sitting. I also got a great deal on tires/wheels. So that is why I went that way.
              Mike
              Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

about 2 years ago I bought a 2002 Load Trail 16' + 2' dove tail (18' total). 3500 lbs twin axles with brakes on one with 225/75x15 radial load range D tires. Has a 2" bulldog coupler and tows very well. I paid $1100 for it off of craigslist. I have hauled the jeep many times and several cars and trucks including a 1999 extendend cab dodge 2500. Very versatile and usable trailer. I have redone the brakes (maintenance work), and blew a outer wheel bearing on the way back from tuttle in september. I think the front axle was a little bent (odd tire wear) so I had Truck Trailer and Hitch in Independence put a new axle under it complete with new hubs/bearing, ubolts etc for right at $300. I plan to add brakes to that axle in the future.

Comment

mine was ~$2200. with a spare tire wheel. it was an 09 but new.

see my post above for specs.....

Comment

Mine was $800. I had a new weight distribution hitch with bulldog 2 5/16 hitch welded on the front ($400), then redid the brakes and added brakes to the second axle ($400). So I've got about $1600 in it, plus $20/month to store it on a farm where it won't get stolen and I won't get my HOA's knickers in a twist.

I have 24x7 access to it and it's locked up nice and tight when I'm not using it. It could use another ~$200 in LED lighting, paint, and sand blasting to clean it up, but I've been too lazy to mess with it. Besides, the way it looks now NOBODY will want to steal it. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X