Can my TJ handle it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my TJ handle it?

Thinking of getting a boat. My '04 Rubicon is only rated to tow 2000lb. The boat weight is about 2500 lbs but the trailer does have trailer brakes. Is the concern of the 2000 pound rating on the TJ: pulling the weight, controlling the weight or stopping the weight?
    Thanks.

I would not do it, you don't want to pull something that is longer and bigger than your Jeep. I think it would be very hard to control the boat and unsafe.

Comment

I towed a water tank with 350 gallons in it but it, it came out to be about 3200 pounds. It did get hairy on 24 highway and braking was nonexistent to front two tires just tried to lock up. I have done a great deal of towing with my wrangler including a camper at about 2200 pounds through the Colorado mountains it did do it but I went SLOW. In all it would do it BUT I would recommend it for short slow drives only.
      P.S. if you have a four banger don't try it.

Comment

http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/view...ighlight=#8037

read this, then decide if you think its a good idea.
        Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

btt

Comment

I was towing about 3200 pounds with a short Chevy van on 69 hwy and the wind whipped the trailer around hard enough to get the trailer swinging. I played h@#l getting it back under control and wished I had never made the mistake of towing with that short of a wheelbase. at one point the van and trailer were both sliding at a harder angle than I felt good about. I do not know to this day why we did not roll.
            I do not think towing that much weight and length with a Wrangler is a good idea.
            If you decide to do it don't go over 50

Just my opinion

Comment

Yellow Rubi, I think I saw you on Longview Road the other night.

I pull a couple different trailers, from my boat (about 4500 lbs) to 10K box trailers with my Tahoe. I will use the TJ to pull the boat trailer empty, the utility trailer and that is about it.

The problem is one of control. Your TJ weighs about 3500 lbs, a typical 1/2 ton truck is about 5K, most full size SUV are closer to 6K. That is a big difference in terms of what weight is planting your tires to the ground.

The TJ brakes are not up to heavy trailer towing. Your boat will most likely have surge brakes, so the TJ has to initiate braking the whole rig, and the boat trailer brakes will only apply as much pressure as the TJ brakes can create through stopping power.

If you are going to tow it from your house to Longview lake once a month, you will be fine. If you plan to tow it down to Table Rock, you will not have any fun at all.

Comment

Working...
              X