Towing my 99 TJ automatic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing my 99 TJ automatic

I have a question: I am moving to So. Cal in 2 weeks and will be towing my TJ with my 01 Durango R/T and using a tow bar mounted to the frt bumper. My question is with the t-case in neutral and the tranny in neutral is this safe???? I don't want to burn up my T-case or tranny over the long haul. Also, with these things in neutral will I still rack up miles on the Odo??? Thanks for any info.

as for rackin up miles yea it still will rack them up with everything in nuetral. best bet for that would to disconnect the drive shaft.

Comment

put the transmission in PARK and the Transfer Case in neutral. The transmission needs engine power to lubricate so putting it in park will keep its parts from spinning and they will be safe. The transfer case lubes itself by spinning so it will be safe for towing any distance and can spin and lube freely in neutral.

If you have a manual transmission: put the transmission in neutral and the transfer case in neutral. Both units lube themselves while spinning and will be fine with towing for any distance.

The driveshafts can stay attached.

Comment

Don't know about the TJ, but I would guess it has an electronic speedo. If so it will not rack up the miles. Don't forget to unlock the steering wheel.
        I came here from Ridgecrest, CA, which is about 150 miles north of LA in the Mojave Desert. Where are you headed?

Comment

Towing

I'm going to San Diego....which is home for me......I still have heard 2 different methods on how to tow with an auto....neutral/neutral and park/neutral. I just don't want to burn anything up.

Comment

The jeeps electronic speedo will still rack up miles if being flat towed unless you disconnect the drive lines or the battery.

Comment

Vehicles with ODB-II which the 99 TJ has, have more than one way of tracking mileage. Your TJ does have an advantage in that it does not have ABS. On vehicles with ABS the ECM also keeps mileage buy revolutions of the tone rings. With the TJ if you want to not rack up the miles, pull the drive shafts.

Scott

Comment

Some TJs have ABS.

Comment

I didn't think 99 TJs were available with ABS.

Scott

Comment

Can't he just pull the speedo gear to keep it from racking up miles? That would be easier than a driveshaft.

When I had a camper and towed it around I would ogle the guys with the big rigs who towed a vehicle behind. They always seamed to prefer to tow a 4WD vehicle because they could put the transfer case in nuetral.

BTW - I had an 01 Durango R/T (if yours is silver with a custom grill, sorry I had to lemon it, hope you did not get it) and burned up the front rotors towing my boat. That or just my general driving style which is a little fast. At any rate, you won't have trailer brakes so just wanted to point out that my R/T seamed to have an appetite for front rotors. Something to watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X