Exhaust for an 03 Dodge w/Cummins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust for an 03 Dodge w/Cummins

I'm thinking about going with the Banks Monster exhaust, 4" from the turbo back.

Later I would upgrade the air intake and add the Banks SixPack system.

Anybody have any pro's and con's?

Any vendors want to send (PM) me pricing?
    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Standard cab or crew cab?
    Cat or no cat?
    long bed or short bed?
    Are you set on Banks or do you want to look at others (like Bully Dog)?

Need all the above before pricing....

Comment

Wes,

One of those companies (I think it is Bully Dog, but not sure) offers an optional Jake brake in line as well. I think it was an electric actuator with a push button on the dash. Probably more for the sound than the braking, but it looked cool when I saw it.

Comment

its an 03 crew cab long bed. I think it has the cat, a very large boxy thing a couple feet after the turbo and before the muffler, but would like to leave it out if possible.

Not completely sold on the banks, other than staying with a matched system, the sixpack etc....

if i dont go with a banks sixpack, then something with in cab adjustability, no ODBC downloaders, or under dash/hood settings.

I do want the 309 stainless steel vs aluminized pipe, and turbo back, not cat back.

I was going to do the exhaust first, then intake then performance chip.
        Wes

Comment

Wes you may want to consider the Edge Chip. I am installing one this summer. I waiting for the release of the A2 this summer that has the built in GPS with it.

http://www.edgeproducts.com/

Comment

Wes,
            Your 03 should not have a cat unless it is a standard output CA truck.
            The only Edge product available for your truck at this time is the EZ. I run one but it does not have in cab controls. The EZ is a pressure only box. Where I work (Floor It Diesel) we are not fans of Banks at all, high price for the results. For exhaust MBRP is as good as it gets and comes in either steel, 409, or 304 stainless. For a box with in cab controls I like the TST. For real good power with a true MPG gain you need to stack a pressure box with a timing and duration box.

The problem with waiting for the A2 is that those of us with 03/04 trucks have been waiting for the Juice with Attitude from Edge for two years.
            Edge has good stuff but a slow at getting it to market.

As for exhaust brakes, they work great and are not just for the sound.
            I have a turbo mounted Pac Brake.

Scott

Comment

Thanks guys.

unfortunately its an automatic since my wife drives it some, so I'm not looking for a massive power increase, just better mileage and being able to hold 65-70mph on hills while towing a 8000 lbs trailer and not blow the tranny apart.

Not sure about an exhaust brake, was thinking more inline of a trans-loc.
              Wes

Comment

Wes,
                With that auto you will need to be careful, but you can still use a in cab controlled box just use self control :twisted: and keep the box turned down. We are a DTT transmission dealer.

Scott

Comment

Scott:

Could you get me a price for a SB Clutch for an 2004 4x4 6 speed. I've got the TST stacked with the EZ. Need something to hold the power while towing two or three jeeps.

Frederick

Comment

Frederick, what exhaust did you go with, i know you told me, but i forgot.

Thanks
                    Wes

Comment

What does everyone think about the bullydog pup ,yes its a downloader, but the bullydog outlook makes it adjustable in cab, and displays EGT, HP, water temp and bunch of other stuff....
                      Wes

Comment

Originally posted by Y-Hike
                        Wes you may want to consider the Edge Chip. I am installing one this summer. I waiting for the release of the A2 this summer that has the built in GPS with it.

http://www.edgeproducts.com/
                        could not find any info on this, any links talking about it?
                        Wes

Comment

Wes:

This is what I have stacked with an Edge EZ. Its a matter of self control when selecting settings.

http://www.tstproducts.com/index.asp...ProdID=96&HS=1

If you're coming the the wrench a thon I'll take you for a ride.

Frederick

Comment

Wes,
                            We have two 03 Dodges at the shop (one being mine) that we ran the Power Pup on and the power seems good but both trucks threw codes and not all the same codes either. The TST is the way to go IMO.
                            As for the Edge A2, it is a cool concept, a power box with GPS, a wireless back up camera, and a few other things. Problem is Edge has stated summer release but don't hold your breath and this is for the Fords only.
                            Edge is not even giving a guess on the Dodge A2. The Edge Juice with Attitude for the 03/04 Dodges was going to be available Jan 04 and it still isn't here.

Scott

Comment

Well last night i finally got put the 4" MBRB exhaust on the truck, getting the old exhaust off was a royal PITA. I was trying to get the exhaust apart with out tearing it up, but that was futile, so the sawz all did in 5 minutes what I spent and hour and a half trying to do.

The new system sounds great, but at idle it sounds like like its fluttering, kinda like a card in the spokes. off idle I dont hear it. i checked all the straps, nuts and bolts and everything is snug. Holding the tip or pipe does not make a change in sound, so i dont think its something loose and rattleing.

any idea's ?
                              Wes

Comment

Working...
                              X