Antilock brakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antilock brakes

I have a 95 Chevy 2500 and the ABS light has come on. I took it to Auto Zone since they say that they will check trouble codes for you. Come to find out, that the ABS codes are accessed differently. Any body know anything about this?

Thanks,

I can ask my brakes teacher tomarrow in class about it. I know ABS systems can be hard to work on if you don't know what you are doing. If you could bring it in class tomarrow we could look at it.

Comment

That will not be possible. I'm replacing the rear brakes today and generally giving the truck a good look over. As for the ABS, since the ABS light will go off while driving and then come back on. I am going to start with the wheel sensors and look for brakes in the wires and check the connections for corrosion.
      Thanks for your help, I will post my results.

Comment

If you are going to bleed your breaks, some ABS systems will lock you out if you don't do it right.

Comment

Most Chevy systems (I have an 02 Tahoe) will flash the ABS light when the system decides you need new brakes.

Could that be the culprit?

It says in owner's manual, not that I ever read things like that. LOL

Comment

Don't think that's it. I just bought the truck (that's why I'm selling the 82) and decided to replace the rear brakes. During my inspection I found the rear brakes to be some what less than 50% and figured I already had the hubs off, so I might as well replace the shoes.

Comment

Found a web site that told me how to get the code and what the codes are. That's if 92 S10 is the same. Anyway, the codes says that the left wheel sensor is bad. I will look into that this weekend.

Comment

Okay, this is what I found to date. Code said that the left front wheel sensor is bad. well, actually it had 3 codes which all had to do with the left front wheel speed sensor. Since I couldn't find anything that told me how to test it, I decided to check the impedance when the ABS light was not on. The sensor had 2.845 ohm's. I drove the truck around until the light came on and stayed on and checked again. This time the sensor was open. So, I conclude that the sensor is bad and start looking for a replacement. I call around and find out that I have to bay a new wheel hub to get the sensor. Well, I am beginning to think this is some kind of scam that the parts houses are using to get a little extra cash, so I call the dealership. Nope, $700+ for a new hub with the sensor. Man, I hope my wheel bearings never go bad. So I pull my bad sensor off my hub, one screw, and and find out that it is a Timken part. I call around and find out that Autozone is a Timken retailer, so I take it to them. They found it in there catalog for $85. I hope when it gets her that it is the right part.

Does anyone know of a reason that would require the hub to be replaced with the sensor? Or is this just a way to sell me hubs.

Thanks,

Comment

Okay, this is what I found to date. Code said that the left front wheel sensor is bad. well, actually it had 3 codes which all had to do with the left front wheel speed sensor. Since I couldn't find anything that told me how to test it, I decided to check the impedance when the ABS light was not on. The sensor had 2.845 ohm's. I drove the truck around until the light came on and stayed on and checked again. This time the sensor was open. So, I conclude that the sensor is bad and start looking for a replacement. I call around and find out that I have to bay a new wheel hub to get the sensor. Well, I am beginning to think this is some kind of scam that the parts houses are using to get a little extra cash, so I call the dealership. Nope, $700+ for a new hub with the sensor. Man, I hope my wheel bearings never go bad. So I pull my bad sensor off my hub, one screw, and and find out that it is a Timken part. I call around and find out that Autozone is a Timken retailer, so I take it to them. They found it in there catalog for $85. I hope when it gets her that it is the right part.

Does anyone know of a reason that would require the hub to be replaced with the sensor? Or is this just a way to sell me hubs.

Thanks,

Comment

Did they end giving you the right part?

Comment

The first part that Autozone sent was the hub and sensor, witch I would have taken if I had paid for the part in advance. It would have been a steel at $85. I was with the guy when he ordered it and I knew he had ordered the timken part number for the sensor only, but somehow the hub assy. got ordered. He looked up the part again and reordered it. This time, the right part came in, and it was actually cheaper. Replaced the sensor and the ABS light hasn't come back on.

Comment

Working...
                      X