X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOW PIG

I have been looking /shopping for a NEW 2010 Diesel from Dodge, Ford,
    GMC /Chevy

I have also been doing the same for used... here is an example. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/1795910003.html

I have researched all of these... and learned that Ford has best interior /space, GMC has best resale and current engine of the new. The Dodge 5.9 prior to the mid-year 2007 change to the 6.7 and May 2008 newer for the Dodge 6.7 Cummings.

I am looking for a diesel... what else should I consider in this search?

Your local city ordinances...... :lol:

Check out the diesel forums for situations with each mfr. Many diesel forums will have specific sections to go with the mfr. Can't help you more than that.
    I'm on superdutydiesel.com and powerstroke.org forums. The Ford should still have issues with the EGR on the 6.4l. It uses specific coolant. Carries 4 gals of oil. Has 2 trans filters and 2 fuel filters.

As for warranty, most only go to 100k. Better check the extended warranty coverage specifically coverage on what and what cost.

Want to buy mine....lol. Sell it to you cheap. I can save you $10k easily, maybe even 11. It reached 120k on this trip to Moab.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Yea! I've learned from your experience. :roll: Dang-and-stuff! :roll:

Comment

2009 and older you will not have to mess with Urea chevy uses a 9th injector in there exhaust. and limp modes if you run out or low on the urea. many other will probably have the same. does this hit the 2010 or 11's? I don't keep up with the new ones as close as the old. With Dodge I would go 5.9 what is that mid year 2007 something like that.

that's my .02

Comment

Originally posted by cjmoon
          2009 and older you will not have to mess with Urea chevy uses a 9th injector in there exhaust. and limp modes if you run out or low on the urea. many other will probably have the same. does this hit the 2010 or 11's? I don't keep up with the new ones as close as the old. With Dodge I would go 5.9 what is that mid year 2007 something like that.

that's my .02
          Our 2010 6.4 Fords do NOT use the Urea, but the new 2011 6.7's we just got do.

Comment

IMHO stick with something pre '07. Anything after is going to have all the EPA ****. They still haven't perfected the DPF & EGR systems on these light trucks and are killing the mileage and reliabilty. If I would have known and got a 06 Dodge instead of my 07 it would have easily gotten 4-5 more mpg and been more mod friendly.

Also...I don't know what your family situation is, but have you looked at the Megacabs? I won't get rid of mine for anything (except a newer one )

Comment

Jim Banner has a newer Dodge and has had issues with the exhaust EPA something. The 6.0l Fords have issues with the head bolts stretching, EGR valve, injectors (dirty fuel, bad oil) and oil/water cooler. There are kits to delete the EGR system and this provides 4-5mpgs. The exhaust is 3" (cat and large restricting muffler) but adding a 3.5-4" hi-flow exhaust adds another 3-4mpgs. I just helped out putting a 3.5" full exhaust on a 7.3l and it was mostly bolt on. The head bolts get swapped for studs or is it the studs get replaced with bolts. Anyways, it is not an easy job to do. Cab has to be raised off the frame to gain access to passenger head. The oil/water cooler is a simple swap out. The injectors only need simple oil changing and replacement of the fuel filters at same time.

There are oil micro-filter kits out there for the diesels as well. They are not that expensive. What the micro-filter kits do is as a by-pass system, they filter down to 2 microns whereas stock filters are 12-15 microns. With the micro-filter, you send in a sample for review. They tell you if you are good for another 5k miles or what. Since it is a micro filter system, you replace that filter every recommended oil change, sample the oil, add a quart (size of the micro filter) and you are good to go. This also supports the injectors performance.
              I'm getting the FS2500 system. He's local in Olathe.

I forgot about this guy. He's expensive to have work performed on the truck, but he's very knowledgable on the Powerstrokes.
              Mike
              Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

tom...early 2000-2003 7.3 powerstroke....cheap, reliable, and tons of aftermarket support. or the 12 valve cummins.....the it will sound like a truck.
                my 2 pennies
                "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
                Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

FWIW, when I was shopping for a new truck ie a month or so ago. I saw brand new Dodge 2500 quad cab, 4x4, Cummins diesel on sale out at Olathe Dodge for 35K. It sounds like Dodge is hurting and offering sales on their trucks. If a diesel is an interest, and a Dodge is in the running, it might be a consideration.

If kids are in the plans or the works, the four door trucks are excellent for that. We bought the crewcab model (Ford), and the leg room is excellent. For road trips, gives us plenty of space to pack junk and paraphanalia for the kids to keep the busy.

Wally

Comment

Just came back from Superlift in Hot Springs. Pulled a K5, 500cc 4x4 atv, a side-by-side atv on a 30' goose neck, and the whole hee haw gang (2 adults and 3 kids). I am proud of the 05 duramax! As compared to my junky piece of #$%^%#*!#% 05 f-550 6.0 . Tons more power and way better mileage. That being said, I do like our dodges, buttttttt they do not get the mileage, are twice as loud (in the cab engine noise) IMO are not as nice and comfy inside. Our newer body style chevy gets worse mileage, but pulls like a mule on meth.

Comment

Working...
                    X