2005 F350 CC CC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F350 CC CC

This started off with a custom bed on the back, but the City of Lenexa had different definitions for the bed and referred it to a flatbed, which is prohibited to be parked in a residential area.

Sold off the custom bed and had this for 2 months. (Its also prohibited.)

When the weather got warm, I strapped a long bed on the frame and later secured it to the frame using eyebolts and bolts through the frame. There is significant frame width, height and length differences between a cab/chassis and a pickup.

There is a 4" difference in wheelbase as well.

If you look closely, I had to trim the bed rear valance to clear the frame.

Next, I went looking for a topper. After a few, I ended up with this

I removed the emergency light and 2 ladder racks so it doesn't look like a commercial vehicle.

Next to come out is the aluminum bins.

Lastly, looking for a design for a rear bumper that wraps forward with an integrated step.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Mike, I like the look of your slide-in. That will be a pretty stout place to sleep. Are you thinking about adding tent material to the side doors so that you can open them for pop-out windows or just mesh netting for flush windows.

Perhaps you could add an A/C unit to the top to sleep in comfort.

Comment

Plans are to have crank opening windows in all the doors and possibly remove the lower half of the insert to gain a lot of room with the bed. The insert takes a lot of room away from the bed with its base. To add, there is a sliding drawer underneath that is 8" tall. So I'm loosing that much in the space. I'm also wanting to add small enclosed boxes in front and behind the rear axle like it was on the custom bed. There is a lot of unused space in a pickup bed.

I'm weighing out in design an angled pop-top with canvas to make room for standing and possibly making it a sliding pop-top to provide a loft bed space.

I just have to get rid of the ants that are in the layers of fiberglass.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Are you ok with the city now?

Comment

Originally posted by 99TJ
          Are you ok with the city now?
          Since I sold off the custom bed. I'm surprised I didn't get anything for having a cab/chassis out in front. I did have a conversation with the code superintendant and he researched my VIN. Ford considers a cab/chassis as an unfinished vehicle. So the city couldn't really complain I guess.
          Yep, I asked about putting another custom or utility bed on but that still falls into the non-factory catagory. City of Lenexa regs talk about factory designed bed as acceptable. I asked about cutting up a long pickup bed because it is a factory bed with no response. I plan to add storage boxes in front/behind the axle and will trim the bed to fit.
          And nothing about using proper lights.

So here is where it stands.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Storage for camping & traveling is always in short supply. I say make the most of the bed, frame and rear bumper to get what you need. It will be interesting to see the final product.

Comment

I am curious why, after all the trouble you had for it being a comercial vehicle, you bought a "topper" that makes it look like a comercial vehicle all over again!?!? :roll:

just wondering!
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Just cause

Because it was cheap enough and fills in my needs more acceptable than what I had before. There is another now on CL for $1500. I got this one for $400. What makes it commercial? Lights, ladder racks? I'm thinking to keep and tie into the turn signals the light bar above the rear door.

Got some 08 wheels/tires on the cheap that brand new (200 miles).

Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Question about that front bumper, is that manufactured or home built?
                  last time I was in Texas half the farm trucks had bumpers like that.
                  Would make you fear no deer :)

Comment

Ranch Hand is the mfr. I bought the truck with it on.
                    Mike
                    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

what makes it look comercial, hmmmmm

ladder racks

lights

toolbox doors instead of windows

and its all white! :twisted:

all I know is if i see that rig coming down the road, I am going to assume it is a commercial vehicle immediately! :lol:

maybe your enemy (err city :roll: ) will miss that fact!
                      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Here she is today, tail lights in and work. Trimming off the extra hardware off the topper. Only a front ladder bar left. Working on getting more info on the commercial turning light above the rear door. Not sure if I want to pull that or keep it. Need to wire in the electricals into the topper (rear brake light and interior lighting), get a rear bumper, relocated the fuel inlet to the side panel and get some pop-out windows for the camper.

Mike
                        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I think it would look cool if you filled the gap between the cab and bed with a piece of rectangle tubing. Like a headache rack with tabs to mount aux lights. Keep it level with the roof, with maybe a riser for the light tabs. You could cut the tubes and weld them to kind of follow the body lines.

Comment

You back in civilization?

Its in Joplin getting repaired. The EGR heat exchanger finally took a dump and I was eating coolant. It over-heated 4 times coming back from Clayton. Fayetteville Ford wanted $2300 to put another problematic exchanger in there. I just kept filling it with water every 45 minutes. That return trip took over 14.5 hrs.
                            I'm spending a lot less than that and I won't have that problem again.
                            Mike
                            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Working...
                            X