Tagging a homebuilt trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tagging a homebuilt trailer

I purchased a trailer last night that looks to be home built. I can not find any tags or markings on the trailer. How do I go about getting this trailer tagged. I live in Johnson County but have haven't had any luck on there website. I do have a bill of sale on the trailer but that is it. I am wanting to get it tagged just don't know where to start.
    sigpic
    MIDWESTWHEELER

I'll start off by saying GOOD LUCK! I bought a trailer that did not have a title, replaced the wood, new lights and then tried to tag it. Thats when the red tape became so thick that I gave up and sold it. Start by calling the Highway Patrol inspection station and talk to them. I think they will want to inspect it and you'll probably have to show receipts for it proving its home built. I think the "builder" has to title it.

KS dosnt care what **** you drive but they sure care when it comes to trailers. My buddy has a trailer thats not tagged and was pulled over on his way back from Tuttle. The State Tropper gave him a ticket for no tags, no insurance on the trailer and the tow rig wasn't tagged properly to tow the weight he was towing... Needless to say several hundred dollars latter he no longer has a trailer either. Farmers are the only people that dont have to tag a trailer in KS

Comment

Technically, any trailer under 2,000# or used for farm use doesn't need to be tagged. If you've got car toter back there, chances are it weighs a good 1,500# and definitely over that limit if it's got a vehicle on it.

If they catch you with a car on a trailer on the highway, it's obviously not for "farm use" and you'll get a ticket, so be cautious if you borrow a farmers trailer to pull your rig.

Also, I didn't think they tagged trucks by weight in Kansas unless it was a commercial vehicle? Steve has his tagged as a 12K truck or something because he hauls his excavator with it, but I was told I could pull with my trucks (1/2ton and 3/4ton) using their plain old "car" tags that I've got on them now.

IANAL, but that's what I've been told.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh
        Steve has his tagged as a 12K truck or something because he hauls his excavator with it, but I was told I could pull with my trucks (1/2ton and 3/4ton) using their plain old "car" tags that I've got on them now.

IANAL, but that's what I've been told.
        Don't know who your talking about, but if someone is pulling a trailer with an excavator on it and is only licensed for 12,000, I would guess they are not tagged properly. You figure a truck at 4500-6000 min , trailer at 2-3000 or more if its actually made to haul that kind of weight, and then the machine on top of that. )unless its a really small excavator) I seriously think you will be over 12,000.

I tagged my old 1/2 ton 2wd at 18,000 cause I hauled hay with it, and plan to haul the YJ eventually and 12,000 would be too close for comfort.

DOT guys don't mess around with this stuff. Anyone that has a CDL should know that some things you just don't take for granted and better to be safe than sorry. Tags are cheaper than lawyers and tickets. IMHO

And yeah, most farmers/country folk don't license trailers. My personal trailer has never been titled, but the "family" flat bed is licensed and current. I will most likly license my YJ trailer whenever I eventually build one.

Comment

Maybe it was 20,000# then.... I don't remember. I do remember that if you tag it commercially they put it in a "weight class" but my Suburban isn't categorized.... it's rated to pull 9,600# and I pull my (licensed) trailer & jeep with it all the time. The trailer is probably 1,500# and the jeep is around 5,000#, so it's less than what's on the door jamb of the truck.

My point was that I don't have any special licensing on the tow rig, here in Kansas.... don't need it. MO may be different.

Comment

Yep MO trucks are tagged by weight and/or useage. Local, Beyond Local, Farm etc.

Anyway back to the topic...I have heard that to title and license a home built trailer you need ALL receipts for material used in the construction. I don't know this for fact, but I have a trailer I started building several years ago and have saved all the receipts for the steel, axle, and misc suspension parts, as well as the tires and wheels. Hopefully when I go to title it, I will have all my ducks in a row and it will go smooth, but since its dealing with the government, I highly doubt it will.

Good Luck on your quest for a title. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Working...
            X