Tow rig ???s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow rig ???s

I'm getting ready to start looking for a trailer to haul the TJ. Where is a good place around the KC area to get a good deal on a trailer??

My tow rig will be a 2009 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3L. My owners manual says the towing capacity is 7500lbs. I already have trailer brakes on it for pulling our camper. Will the Tahoe be a decent tow rig or should I look for something else??

The Tahoe will do it, but won't like it very much, especially in the hills. I towed with my old half ton with the 5.3l motor and it always got us there and back. Just slower than I like going. But I am not too familiar with the newer style 5.3 and the trans hooked to it. It may do a lot better than the older styles.
    As for the trailer, Im not much help there.

Comment

My biggest gripe towing with a 1/2 ton (Chevy Trailblazer EXT) was the stopping power. I'm using a 3/4 ton Suburban now and put brakes on both trailer axles and it's much better.

I know a lot of guys tow with Tahoes though, so I'd say try it and see what you think. Then ride in a 3/4 ton or larger and feel the difference and decide. :)

Comment

I'd look for a lighter trailer with 6k axles under it. They usually have 6 lug wheels. Add some airbags on the tahoe. it will make a huge difference. The thing with the 5.3's is they will pull their hearts out, just get used to it running at 5k rpm going up hills. But it will scream like that all day.
        4x4LAND.com
        Mike
        Knowledge is priceless

Comment

I bought my 1/2 ton suburban new in '02. I have hauled each of my rigs with it. The only thing I did not like was stopping. I added the brake controller and that was great. What I did later that made my trips even better was a stabilizer for the hitch. The difference was night and day...even with the "lightest" rig on my trailer. The tow haul mode does not mesh well with the cruise on hard pulls, though. I never needed air bags or helper springs. I used the good hitch and took care with balancing my load. I did go with a lighter trailer with 2 3500# axles with brakes on one. I have hauled my full-size lifted blazer on 38's like this.....just don't plan on winning a race, or getting stellar mileage. :lol: I never got passed or left behind, though. Oh yeah, and my suburban now has nearly 180k on it, for those that say they will not last. Only change made was K&N filter and regular upkeep.
          I usually only use my dually for two rig hauling.
          So I can (from experience) answer any questions you may have. It has now been a tow vehicle for nearly eight years.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I have a weight distributing hitch that I use when pulling the camper, would it be a good idea to use it towing the jeep??

Comment

Since I don't have a chevy, I didn't feel comefortable giving any input until this point.

But I do feel comefortable giving input on other things. A weight distributing hitch that is set up correctly will do wonders for pulling a heavy trailer. Not only does it keep from sagging the springs, but it also reduces sway significantly!

I tow the max limit for my Tacoma, and without a weight distributing hitch, I wouldn't do it. It really is the big difference!

I would put brakes on at least one axle and if your planning on heading out west ie Colorado, brakes on both axles. You will want a brake controller with a manual brake lever/ switch that is easily accessable to you in the cab. If you ever get to swaying, being able to tap the manual brake controller switch/ lever will help stop the swaying safely.

You do have a trans cooler?

Wally

Comment

Yes I have a trans cooler. The Tahoe has a tow package on it.

Comment

about trailers.
                  Call Eagle trailer in Lawrence. They have very good prices on trailers!!
                  That's where I'm getting mine!!

Dan

Comment

With the tow package and the weight distribution hitch, you'll probably be fine with the tahoe. Adding brakes to the second axle of a pair of 3500#'ers is one of the best mods you can do to your trailer, and runs about $250-300 if you do the work yourself (easy).

I added brakes to my second axle last year and it makes a noticible difference. Instead of running with the controller set at 4-5 I run at 2.5 and stop like I'm not even pulling anything.

Comment

There is no way I'd buy a trailer with 3500 lb axles. The cost difference to go with 5k or 6k is minimal and the size of the bearings and brakes is worth every penny. Besides you never know how big your jeep might grow up to be someday :D
                      4x4LAND.com
                      Mike
                      Knowledge is priceless

Comment

If I was buying new, I'd agree. Mine is what was available and cheap at the time. Looking back I'd probably have been further ahead to just buy new, after everything I've put in it now....

Comment

Woody over at Truck Trailer and Hitch sold me mine and Tommy tuffnutz. I called around to a lot of places and he made me the best deal on a trailer. It it a nice trailer also, mine is a Maxey..

Their on 291 just south of 23rd st.

Comment

aren't they next to the new Arby's on 291? :P

their parts were priced right, so I imagine their trailers are too! :twisted:
                            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Another option for the trailer purchase is Midwest Offroad & Trailer in Syracuse, NE. It's probably a little farther for you but I know the owner, Derek, well and he will absolutely take care of you.

1201 Park St, Syracuse, NE 68446 (402) 269-2699

Comment

Working...
                              X