No announcement yet.

Modifying the dd to haul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After towing 2000 miles with it, I can say that I am satisfied with its performance. I averaged 10.9 miles out to Utah, 11.9mpg on the way back, averaged out thats about 11.4mpg.

The load specs were about 4900lbs. I had no problems maintaining 60mph up all passes in Colorado.

I learned something about the "tow-haul" feature, it upshifts the transmission on steep decents so you don't have to apply the brakes as much. The first time it happened, I was thinking "Great, I just trashed the transmission on a brand new truck" :shock: BUT all the monitoring guages looked fine, no funny smells, so I just kept my eye closely on things and when it happened a second time I saw the pattern. :lol:

Wally

Comment

I have always been told to shift into drive (with an OD auto tranny) while pulling heavy loads !

apparently they have fixed this problem !

COOL! 8)
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Spune, go for a test drive in a newer truck. They have a tow/haul button for the trans. Basically, it provides different shift patterns and holds down hill acceleration. You do have to use the brakes in the first instance to get the trans to downshift and lock in. Since my F350 has a 5-sp auto, I've got 2 downshift settings.
        Wally should check the owners manual for such information. I've already talked to him about it. I'm not sure if he has the 5-sp or 4-sp auto.
        In the newer trucks with the tow/haul capability, you can tow in OD with no ill-effects.

Glad you made it home there Wally. Now from the dry 70-80s in UT to the rains and humidity of KS. Oh and work...no play.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Mine has a 6 speed auto trans. Looking at the specs, it looks like I have a granny first, then gears 2-5 have gear ratios similar to a 4 speed, then 6 looks like an over drive.

The temps went from 60s in Denver then slowly accross Kansas it went to 90 degrees with almost 100 percent humidity.

Wally

Comment

Working...
          X