06 dodge mega cab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommy,

I have to agree on the 3/4-1 ton option. I went from a 3/4 ton to a half ton, once, for two weeks total.....and when I did, I remembered why I had bought the first 3/4 ton.

If you're stuck on a dodge, go diesel as I'm not nor ever have been a fan of their gas motors. If you're looking into other brands, the 3/4 Chevy rigs with a 6.0 are going cheap and you'll get 14 loaded or empty. I really hate the fact that I just touted a GM product, but they're decent and worth the money.

If you're looking at Fords again at all, the newer 3v V-10s are a nice power/fuel economy combo. I actually almost signed the papers on one before I ordered my last 08 Diesel. Also, if you look in the right spots, you can locate a nice 3/4 or 1 ton Ford Diesel (Stay upwards of 05 though) that will do the job nicely and give you a great vehicle for years to come.

As for trailers, I would look into a bumper pull if you're only going to tow one rig. The GN is overkill unless you're pulling a big block'ed, one ton axle'd, 44" tire rig. I've done it, but it wasn't worth the hassle and extra fuel comsumption for towing one "fairly built" rig.

Just my $.02.

Comment

Looks like you have a good excuse to buy a short bus!

Comment

Or a toter that is priced to sell.... :P from someone having issues with their city government on code violations.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

My 05 K2500 (3/4T) suburban gets about 11.5 MPG driving around town (mostly city driving, very little highway), and 10.5 - 11.0 MPG pulling the Jeep, depending on the terrain - got a little less in the mountains, but towing around here I get closer to 11. Not much of a drop really.

Comment

If I was buying a mega cab I would get the cummins for economy, power and longevity. Diesels are nice

Comment

dont matter know! Thanks though
              "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
              Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

I know it doesn't matter, but I think it's because Dodge doesn't make a Quad Cab Long Bed 1500, and the Mega is on the QC Long Bed frame with a short box on it, so they used the 2500 frame. The question is, why they didn't just call it a 2500, probably a marketing decision to put more of them in soccer mom's driveway.

Check out the conversions where people put the long bed on the Mega, it's only 2 ft, but looks huge.

Comment

Originally posted by codic
                  Check out the conversions where people put the long bed on the Mega, it' only 2 ft, but looks huge.
                  That's no lie! I've been drooling over them since I got mine.

Comment

Why delete the thread? Seems like good information to leave for the next guy looking for tow rig advice...

Comment

Originally posted by rjh
                      My 05 K2500 (3/4T) suburban gets about 11.5 MPG driving around town (mostly city driving, very little highway), and 10.5 - 11.0 MPG pulling the Jeep, depending on the terrain - got a little less in the mountains, but towing around here I get closer to 11. Not much of a drop really.
                      I had a '99 3/4 ton Suburban. It was my first "real" tow vehicle and it's performance was virtually identical to that of your 2005.

Here's a little "fun" math:

If your 3/4 ton gasser gets an average of 11 MPG and you can buy gas for $2.49/gallon and your 3/4 diesel gets an average of 16 MPG and you can buy diesel for $2.69/gallon which is cheaper to drive?

Answer:

The gasser will cost you $226.36 to drive 1000 miles
                      The diesel will cost you $179.33 to drive 1000 miles

Granted, the diesel will most likely cost you more to begin with, but you will make that up in short order saving nearly $50 for every 1000 miles driven.

Diesel = winnar! :lol:

Comment

Wife wanted a gasser to haul the kids around in. Required 3 rows of seats (no quad/mega cab), and wanted something "nice". I convinced her a 3/4T 'burban was the way to go, instead of an Escalade, so now her DD is my weekend tow pig. :)

Comment

As noted above that truck is a 1500 Mega Cab. It is on the 2500 platform. So it is a 2500 (3/4) ton gasser for the most part. It will get no better mileage than a 2500 gasser. It has a lower GVWR so you will overload the number on the tag inside the door. It would pull that trailer with two rigs on it but it will be "overloaded". As for buying a diesel verses gas there is alot that goes into it. The maintance costs more on a diesel, they cost more to purchase, etc. I love my diesel, I have owned four in the last 10 years years and I make my living working on them but if you are going to tow a couple of times a year and put less than 20k miles on it a year total you will be money ahead with a gasser, just get a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh
                            Wife wanted a gasser to haul the kids around in. Required 3 rows of seats (no quad/mega cab), and wanted something "nice". I convinced her a 3/4T 'burban was the way to go, instead of an Escalade, so now her DD is my weekend tow pig. :)
                            Just for sake of interesting conversation... how many does your burban seat?

I thought about this very topic over the Thanksgiving break while I was down seeing family in Oklahoma. At one point I had six adults (easily seats seven comfortably) a 36" and two 19" flat screens (Black Friday shopping) a microwave and three or four shopping bags full, plus my standard storage containers that stay in the truck. Then we stopped by Lowes and picked a refrigerator for grandma and stopped by the uncles house for a dolly. All of it completly safe out of the weather. The funny part is I could have still hooked up a trailer and hauled 10k without breaking a sweat. Man I love my truck!

Comment

Ours is only a 6-seater. captains in the middle & split bench in the rear. The trailblazer actually seats 7 but it's more cramped. the 'burban will seat 6 adults comfortably. middle row even has butt warmers.

we love it too -- tons of trunk space (about 4 feet) compared to the trailblazer, and like you said, you can drag 5 tons behind you and barely know it's there. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X