New trailer to haul my ****!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New trailer to haul my ****!!

I was thinking after I got home from tuttle....why don't I trailer jeep to events? I noticed several people using half ton trucks. I thought... why not a conversion van? That way I could tow jeep in comfort, have plenty of room to bring the kids, and then sleep in van and avoid the CLASSY hotels! So here is what I came up with. It lacks power on inclines and needs the rear suspension beefed up, but if I don't plan on winning any races...it just might work. Here is a pic.

"I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Just back your jeep up on the trailer, I have mine way back and I have a dually, it rides much better that way. As long as your trailer doesn't wiggle on the highway your fine, that way the weight is on the trailer and not the tongue so much
    I had the idea of the van or rv for a jeep hauler too, but ended up with the truck instead :roll: :D

Comment

back the jeep up to lighten the tounge weight like Austin said, but you want to keep a few hundred pounds on the tounge so it doesn't get squirrely going down the road. :shock:

and an auxillery tranny cooler and perhaps engine oil cooler wouldn't hurt neither

and add at least 1000 pound over-load springs to rear would be nice too I imagine :)

otherwise, its a

looking good :twisted:
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

how much weight is the van rated to tow? with the LJ, you have to be extra careful about not going over weight... they're a fair bit heavier than most other jeeps...

Comment

I was worried about that myself...croft trailer said with the 6000lb reciever I should be good. Trailer weighs alittle over 2500lbs. Jeep should be under 3500lbs I would think??? Not sure, but I know I am close! This is temporary untill I find a camper home or a party bus!! I almost put a dually rear end and springs with airbags under van! That would have given it a one of a kind look! Putting duals under it and big ol fender extensions!!! That would be the redneck thing to do!
          "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."

Comment

I am a little worried about only having a 302 under the hood. It is very sluggish! Maybe I am just used to pulling things with a diesle! Should've kept mine!

Comment

I have a 2001 Yukon XL and had the same problem as I see in your picture. My first option was to add the Airride air bags to level out the load. Yep it worked, but it was still a bit off.

I talked to a few trailer shops and they asked me about a load leveling hitch and I thought what the heck and they said It would level out myu trailer and I wouldn't need my air bags (yeah right)

I was 110% wrong and should of done this first time. The load leveling hitch set was like $500. from Croft, but I have seen them on CL for under $200.

This is awesome and works!!! It is hard to explain, but it uses two long shafts that are connected to the trailer using tension of a metal chain. Just look it up it was worth every dime and if I would have had more time I would havepurchased one on CL. Looking at your picture I would almost back it up a foot or two, but almost to the line for the dove and not further and give it a little run. All that Jeeps weight is over the front axle on the trailer and I would ballance this more over axles.

If you know my Jeep then you can imagine how heavy it is and my issues. I am all good now and just need a Diesel tow vehicle now!!!
              Alan

Alan

Comment

I second the load leveling (usually called weight distributing) hitch. It will transfer more of the weight to the front wheels of the van and give you better control and handling.

You could also try and get factory replacement springs for the van, as they are probably fairly worn anyway by now.

Definitely get a tranny cooler at a minimum.

That LJ has a curb weight of 3,730 from the factory. Add larger tires, bumpers, tire carriers, tools, spares, fuel, mud, fat chicks, etc. to that number for actual towed weight.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG
                  I second the load leveling (usually called weight distributing) hitch. It will transfer more of the weight to the front wheels of the van and give you better control and handling.

You could also try and get factory replacement springs for the van, as they are probably fairly worn anyway by now.

Definitely get a tranny cooler at a minimum.

That LJ has a curb weight of 3,730 from the factory. Add larger tires, bumpers, tire carriers, tools, spares, fuel, mud, fat chicks, etc. to that number for actual towed weight.
                  Tommy-
                  What were you thinking :?: What happened you really forgot the most important thing for all van owners:!: :!: :!:

"If the Van is a rocking, don't be a knocking" Bumper stick that will def add some weight. If youy want your more then welcome to see how well it works on my Yukon XL. I will be trailering the Jeep to the FFA convention and coming back Friday night.
                  Alan

Comment

Tommy,

i've got a load leveling hitch somewhere in the garage, it a 500lb rating i think. if your interested i'll snap some pics of it.
                    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

Wes, if Tommy is not interested, I may be...

Comment

The weight distribution hitch is definitely worth having. I didn't pull anything but my empty trailer until I had one... it works like magic to help raise the rear end of your tow rig. You can also get anti-sway bars for the trailer, but Croft told me they're for highway use only - you're supposed to pull over on the ramps and put them on and off, because if you take a turn with them on (i.e. at the end of the exit ramp), you'll bend them and then they're worthless.

I don't have the anti-sway bars on mine, and with 10-15% of the load on the tongue, I haven't had any problems with sway.

Comment

ex father in law ran a hitch with anti sways, and yeah as soon we were about to hit the hieghway at the first rest stop he'd get out and tighten up the friction plate.

Comment

I didn't buy the sway bar, but I'll tell I swear by this setup now

Comment

I agree with everything that's been posted - heck I would start by centering the jeep between the axles on the trailer as Alan said - most of the jeep's weight is on the front axle - should still be enough weight on the tongue at that point. If you get the torsion bars / load-levelers then you can move it up a little bit (and I second the recommendation to get them - they're worth every penny!)

I wouldn't worry about the little 302 - it's not a powerhouse by any means but they're a tough little motor. I towed the old race car weekly with an '86 F150 with a 302 - never let me down... Never won any races to the track either..

The tranny - make absolutely sure you've got the big external cooler in addition to the radiator cooler - I'm pretty sure it was stock on the towing package - the cooling is going to be critical to make the tranny live while towing (especially loaded with "gear" and people in the van...)

Comment

Working...
                              X