BFGs or something else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFGs or something else?

I'm starting to look for new shoes for Ol' Blue. I've had truxus mt, dunlop mud rovers, goodyear mtrs, new mtrs with kevlar, and bfg at ko2s on it in the past. I liked the truxus off road best, but no one could balance them and they were unbearably worn after about 20k. The mtrs were ok on both fronts, mtrs with kevlar were good offroad, but were showing a lot of wear (probably 40% gone) in the 9k that I had them. The dunlops ran for about 35k and had tread left when I sold them. They were second only to the truxus offroad and 2nd to the bfgs on road. I would probably buy those if they were still made in my size. BFGs were best by far on-road as to be expected and I've got about 70k on them right now with almost 1/4" of tread left on them. They're clearly not a mud tire, but do ok offroad. Does anyone have any tire suggestions and personal experience with how long they last on a wrangler or cherokee before I sink 1000 into another set of bfgs? I can't find the BFGs in a D load range anywhere, only in an E. Do you think that will make much difference in performance on / offroad or in the treadwear? Thanks in advance for your input!

I recently got the BFG MT's (TA K2's), after running the BFG AT's, and absolutely love them! Since I have only had them a couple of weeks, I cannot testify to the wear, but all the reviews I read were all very positive. Tire rides great on road, and really don't seem to be any louder than my old AT's!

Comment

I recently got Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts, and so far I'm very happy with them.

Comment

I really like my treadwright guard dogs...

I bought a set of four 285/75/16 for only $530 to my door... HARD TO BEAT!

Comment

I wheel and dd ('91 xj w/ lockers) on 31" mickey Thompson mtz's and couldn't be happier w/ their performance. Great road manners and Eck-thelent on the rocks and in the trails.

Comment

I'll be really interested to know how those guard dogs wear. Cheap appeals to me!

Comment

Originally posted by kcmudbug View Post
              I'll be really interested to know how those guard dogs wear. Cheap appeals to me!
              well they warranty them for 20,000 miles... the reviews I have seen online show people getting 30,000-50,000 (or less if the rocks get them...)

Comment

I have KM2s, on the rocks they are great, in the mud...... I would agree they are better than an AT, but not a real mud tire.

There are a few I would like to try.

1. Cooper Discoverer SST Probably the most incospicious mud tire out there, but seems to be pretty sticky in the rocks.

2. Pitbull Rocker Radial, seems to be very reliable and well rounded, heavy for size

3. Micky Thompson's MTZs, I have heard great things as far as an all around radial. Decent at everything.

4. General Grabber's. I would like to hear more about General's Grabber. I had their Grabber AT2 on a mild stock 4x4 for quite a while (45K) and enjoyed their performance and reliabity for an AT. A heavy tire for size, but they came in load D & E in several sizes too. By 45K they were starting to make noise on the highway.

Wally

Comment

I've had Maxxis Bighorn M/T on my JK for about 15k miles and so far I am more than happy with their performance in both mud and on rocks. They ride pretty decent on the highway too and are not too loud. They have also worn well. I did see about a 2mpg decrease in fuel economy when I switched to them from Goodyear Duratracs.
                  "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                  X