Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffler...? Anyone have one that sounds aggressive and good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler...? Anyone have one that sounds aggressive and good?

Like it says, Im looking to replace my muffler with something that has a bit meatier tone to it. Was wondering if anyone has a aftermarket muffler that they like on a 4.0L motor. Im tossing up the Flowmaster super 40 or 44 at the moment.

I have a mystery flowmaster on my 4.6L stroker and it has a fairly aggressive grumble at idle. I'll see if I can't make a vid on the sound and check out what model muffler it is.

Comment

Watch CL. I see a lot of good mufflers go cheap.

Comment

I'm really impressed with the way my $16 Raptor muffler I got from O'Reillys sounds like....

Comment

I've got a Flowmaster on my Jk, and it sounds pretty aggressive. If you go to Flowmasters website I'm pretty sure they have sound clips. ;-)

Comment

We threw a double chamber flowmaster under mine a few weeks ago and it sounds a lot deeper. Occassionally at the right RPM and conditions (e.g. under water) it will hit a resonant frequency and gets REALLY loud inside though. But not often enough that I'd replace it. :)

Comment

I have one that is bolt in ready. $75 and it is yours. :)

Hi

Comment

I love the sound of my Flowmaster 40!

Comment

I put a glasspack on mine because I kept ripping full-sized mufflers off or putting holes in them. It definitely has a rumble at idle, and you know for sure when I get on it. I like it, but I doubt many others would. lol! A couple of my buddies have spin tech mufflers...I definitely like those and would recommend them to anyone wanting a more aggressive sound.

Comment

Originally posted by t-rav_12 View Post
                    Watch CL. I see a lot of good mufflers go cheap.
                    I've been looking there, they had some for cheap but they where the 50 series :-( Im in no hurry though, I can wait for a cheap 40/44 :-)

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                    We threw a double chamber flowmaster under mine a few weeks ago and it sounds a lot deeper. Occassionally at the right RPM and conditions (e.g. under water) it will hit a resonant frequency and gets REALLY loud inside though. But not often enough that I'd replace it. :)
                    Do you know what muffler it is? what series?

Originally posted by ericfx1984 View Post
                    I love the sound of my Flowmaster 40!
                    Is it on the 4.0 motor?

Originally posted by kcmudbug View Post
                    I put a glasspack on mine because I kept ripping full-sized mufflers off or putting holes in them. It definitely has a rumble at idle, and you know for sure when I get on it. I like it, but I doubt many others would. lol! A couple of my buddies have spin tech mufflers...I definitely like those and would recommend them to anyone wanting a more aggressive sound.
                    I've thought about going with a glasspack for the cost diff. but in videos Im not sure I like them, though in real life it could be totally different. Those spintech ones sounds pretty good in the videos though! Do your buddies have the spintech mufflers on a 4.0 I6 motor? I know the motor can change the sound alot (e.g. if there running a stroked or v8 motor).

Thank you all for the input, slowly but surely I will have heard every 4.0 motor with a muffler on youtube, and with the great input from here, my baby will sound good soon! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MR.CLIFFORD View Post
                      I have one that is bolt in ready. $75 and it is yours. :)
                      Witchita is a long drive for a muffler, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by GOAT View Post
                        Is it on the 4.0 motor?
                        yes, yes it is :)

Comment

Originally posted by GOAT View Post
                          Do your buddies have the spintech mufflers on a 4.0 I6 motor? I know the motor can change the sound alot (e.g. if there running a stroked or v8 motor).
                          Yeah, stock 4.0 with a spin tech. I thought it sounded great, but the glasspack fit my budget much better at the time.

Comment

$40

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/2300454052.html

$100 for 2. Sell 1 and make some $$ back.
                            http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/2326172106.html

I don't know these guys and don't care if they sell their stuff.
                            Last edited by t-rav_12; 04-15-2011, 04:37 AM.

Comment

I'm going to try and find a time to drop by and ask Rusty a few jeep questions in Lee's Summit before too long. I have a flowmaster 40 on my TJ (4.0) but I do have a header and oversized exhaust so that makes it a little throatier. Let me know if you want to meet up and hear it. I'm in Raymore. It's not for sale but it could let you hear what it sounds like, no biggie either way

Comment

Working...
                              X