Looking at Winches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Winches

I have never had a winch but am looking to get one. What specs should I look to - pounds, speed, both, neither? Is there a brand to avoid?

Thanks.

i bought this one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10500...mZ200523691872

has alot of ammenities for a really good price.

Comment

I have a harbor freight 8000 and it is basicly a mile marker. its a little slow but it getts the job done. I bought the two year warranty with it no questions asked return policy. so if at the end of two years it "breaks" they will replace it for free wit a brand new one. and they are like 299.99

Comment

I picked up a Smittybilt XRC800 from Mike @ 4x4 Land about 18 months ago(?). It's pulled like a champ. Recently we found that the clutch level wants to pop out of 'engaged' to 'free spool' under load - not good in a tricky situation.

I finally got off my kiester and called Smitty today and told them what it was doing, figuring they were going to make me take it all apart and figure out which internal part was broken. Nope. They're just sending me an entire new end (lever, mechanics, and cover plate). The only questions they asked me where how long I've had it (about 18 months), and where I bought it (4x4 Land). They said it usually takes 5-7 days, but I asked if they could do it any quicker since I've got a trip planned for next Wednesday, and he said they'd get it to me in 3 days.

Great customer service all around. I figure at $300 I could go through two of these things for the price of a Warn. But with a lifetime mechanical warranty, I'm not sure I'll need to! :D

Comment

I HAVE THIS ONE

Comment

I have had a couple a Warn and a Ramsey. I like them both.

Here is a link that I looked at when I was thinking about a new winch.

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353

Wally

Comment

I bought a Superwinch LP8500 from a company through my work, and I like it a lot. It isn't the fastest but it's decent quality and I am very pleased with their customer service.

I haven't found one yet for what I paid, but this is a good price for one.
              http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/super...rce=googlebase
              sigpic

Comment

I've had the harbor freight 8000, a warn m8000, and a warn 9.5ti.

The HF was really slow and I broke 2 of them on the 2 year replacement plan. A winch breaking mid-pull and free-spooling is scary! That's what happened with both of those.

I left the m8000 on the old jeep when I sold it because the new jeep had a 9.5ti. The m8000 was very reliable and I used it A LOT! I never had any problems with it. When I buy another, I think the m8000 will get the nod again based on price, reliability, and line speed. $530 with free shipping!

The 9.5ti is faster than the m8000...almost too fast unless its under load and costs a lot more. Regardless, still another quality warn product.

Comment

I have delt with Fat Bob alot and they are agreat place Some times if you call you can get a better deal
                  KB0ZNR
                  05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

If you are actually planning on winching everytime out I would drop the cash on a Warn or Ramsey. They will hold up a lifetime and you can get parts. If you want a winch for "just in case" I would look into the Badlands winches at HF the 9K badland for 259.99 The coupon code is 50306304 and is valid through 2/11/12. I am going to pick on up to put on my trailer
                    sigpic
                    MIDWESTWHEELER

Comment

This thread just popped up. Something else to consider is rigging, have to have it for most winching anyways. A couple of shackles, a snatch block, at least a 5 ton choker/ poly tree saver. Winch paraphernalia adds to the cost of winching. If I were to pick to two of the three items I mentioned, I would shoot for first, a tree saver and at least two 3/4"-1" shackles. Snatch blocks are expensive, I have found that I don't use them as often as I do the other two items. However, when you need a snatch block, they are a real helper, can change the direction of a straight line pull, i.e. pull things away from you, pull from an angle while still pulling straight, things like that. The other thing a snatch block offers you is the ability to double your pulling capacity of the winch via a pulley.

Anyways, things to think about.

Wally

Comment

A snatch comes on handy when a roll and can only be winched from above or bellow
                        Benn there done that! LOL

Thanks again Jim, Al, Glen, and others helped oit!
                        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I would also look on CL as you can often find good deals on people selling Wenches when they mispell winches. They wonder why they aren't getting much calls.

Comment

Working...
                          X